Chapter Four: Walking Alone

Chapter Four: Walking Alone

A Chapter by TheLastEclipse

  Down the foggy street the man unzipped his hoody. The guitar case was secure on his back.
 "Jesse... Thanks." Wesley stated, wiping the blood from his hands on his pants.
 Jesse fixed his messed up hair with his fingers, adjusting it out of his eye. "You don't have to thank me."
 The brothers remained silent as they walked away from the crash, barely unscathed. The only physical memory of the recent crash that was imprinted on their bodies was a scratch on Wesley's face and a minor slice on Jesse's right hand. The street was still foggy. It had been since they awoke. Now at 12 p.m. they walked down Jesse's girlfriend's house. This was his first destination.
 "I've got to see if she's okay." Jesse spoke in a low, full of fear yet calm tone.
 "Keana's tough. She'll be fine." Wesley assured, gripping his iron pipe in hand.
 Jesse continued walking. He only wielded a Bowie knife, which he took from a gas station when refilling, and a pistol no one knew he had. It was a basic nine millimeter handgun Beretta series. A very basic automatic handgun. Fires one bullet per trigger pull and is casually issued to police officers. It's not the biggest bang but is lethal enough.
 Wesley was the first to say something about Keana's house. "There it is."
 The blood stain on her door uneased Jesse's nerves.
 Wesley calmly stated "Maybe there was a pizza delivery gone wrong." He grinned.
 Jesse opened the door, "Don't joke about this." He quietly stated. As he walked in he saw furniture turned over. He walked into the living room seeing a blood trail leading to Keana's dead body! "Keana!" Jesse yelled kneeling to her dead body. There was blood on her shoulder, right above her surgery scar, it almost looked like she was bitten. 
 Her eyes shot open and she embraced Jesse, while crying his name.
 Wesley fell backwards, tripping over overturned furniture. 
 Jesse didn't even have time to react but once his mind caught up with the speed of Keana's embrace, he realized that if she had been infected... He'd be dead. Instead of dwelling on that thought he wrapped his arms around her, almost crying with her, but instead he just held tight.
 Wesley ignored the passion and asked. "Why did you do that? You almost gave me a heart attack! God!" He held his heart, being over dramatic.
 Jesse and Keana finally separated and she wiped the tears from her eyes, laughing softly. "Sorry, it's the way I ambush those freaks." She spoke with a bit of an emptiness. Their was a knife coated in warm blood in her hand.
 Jesse realized she had to witness the horrid nature of killing and felt an amplified version of pity in his heart. He knew as well as Christian did, no one should have to endure that pain. It feels wrong. They kissed before he helped her up.
 Wesley pointed to the car, while they stepped outside. "Why don't we take it?"
 "We don't have keys." Jesse bluntly stated and then he yawned. Looking to Keana whom held up the keys.
 She grinned deviously. "Of course, we do."
 "Maybe I can drive." Wesley threw in that option. "After all Jesse, you do need some rest. You haven't slept for two days and this whole epidemic hasn't helped at all."
 Jesse thought for a second. "Where are we going anyway?"
 Wesley actually thought for a second but then it actually clicked, "To get food and find friends and a shelter." He said. "A sturdy shelter." He added.
 "Okay. You can drive. Just please don't kill us. Take us to a restaurant." Jesse let out a slight grin and peered at Keana.
 Wesley caught the keys Keana tossed to him. He sat in the driver seat and instinctively popped the trunk for Jesse to put his guitar up. As corny as it sounded, music and Keana were the only thing that really kept Jesse going. After all, he had lost almost al of his family in the crash. They were already infected but still he felt as if it was his fault. They hadn't changed yet. Maybe there was hope! But now there was no way of knowing. Wesley was his only family member left. Well except for his brother in Germany. As he sat in the rear seats of the car, beside Keana, he began thinking of what would happen if his brother did come back. He would be dead on arrival... So Jesse laid down. His head was on Keana's lap. He had decided to take a nap. After the first thirty seconds, he was out like a light.
There was a crushing blow to Christian's chest as the infected tackled him! Corey stopped running as the rest of the group continued. Christian had decided to take the rear so no one would get ambushed, but it looks like he did. Zack and the girls were leading. It was almost as if the group was layered with Zack leading, Gabe, Jason, and Alex in the middle, and Christian and Corey in the back. 
"Get the car, Alex!" Christian yelled to Alex as Corey pried the infected off of his chest!
A crowd of infected quickly swarmed the now free Christian! He used his crowbar wisely, crunching the head of every infected that gripped his shoulder. It didn't kill them but it surely disabled them. It forced them to stumble and fall down. The rest of the group kept running in good faith that Christian with Corey's assistance would make it. And he did, arising with the firm hand of Corey Jarrels. They exchanged a quick glance of appreciation. Suddenly they were running again and daylight had sprung forth exposing just how screwed they may be. Infected adults and s****y looking teenage girls chased the medium sized group through the parking lot. Some of the girls the group recognized and it kind of struck their funny bone. Well, in a sick kind of way. Zack, Savannah, Harlye, and Gabe sped into the bus, luckily learning how to cut it on. Now driving it would be the problem. Alexis and Alex were the first to touch the car door of the car Christian was driving.
Alex glared at Alexis. "Get on the bus with the rest." As he said this, Jason wasted no time shuffling into the back of the vehicle.
Alexis argued against her safety. "I'm going. That's my love out there."
"Damn it you guys! Come on! Christian and Corey are going to die." Jason yelled, actually getting mad at the pointless arguing.
Alex angrily sighed and got into the car, with Alexis taking the passenger side. He started the car and threw it into gear, barely knowing what he was doing. He floored the acceleration petal and sped right toward Christian and Corey who were being chased by a vast number of infected, all recognizable. He slammed onto the brakes, stopping inches from the skidding-to-a-stop Corey and Christian. The pavement ate the soles of their shoes, they ignored their burning feet and ran on opposite sides of the backseats. Jason quickly scooted to the middle as both teen guys threw themselves into the vehicle screaming 'Go! Go! Go!' Alex wasted no time speeding away!
"Stay within the school parking lot. We've got to distract them while Zack and the rest try to escape!" Christian demanded, catching his breath and sitting upright in his seat. He ignored securing his seat belt in fear that Alex might flip the car.
Alex virtually drove in circles around the school. Every time he passed, the bus still stayed still. Finally the bus was started and began moving. Christian shouted in excitement. Looking behind him he saw the infected were now beating on the  bus. 
"Alex, pull over!" Christian said. "Let's switch." 
Without question Alex slammed his foot onto the brakes, slinging everyone forward. As the group mumbled and complained, Christian and Alex basically threw themselves out of the car, tripping over their feet and stepping into their changed positions. Christian immediately started driving and demanded Alex to call Zack, he had a plan. Christian called out Zack's number. 
Alex pressed the call sequence. "Hey! Hey!" He said as a breathless voice said 'Hey' "Christian said meet us at the Hokes Bluff Garage near the middle school."


© 2012 TheLastEclipse


Author's Note

TheLastEclipse
NEW CHARACTERS!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on October 14, 2012
Last Updated on October 14, 2012


Author

TheLastEclipse
TheLastEclipse

Crossville, AL



About
I have been writing since the age of twelve and have been creating oral tales since before that. I am a Christian but have a twisted way in some of my stories. I write poetry, stories, and I'm a cas.. more..

Writing