A Conversation. (Reversal)

A Conversation. (Reversal)

A Story by Hicks
"

This is the reversal of my WIP 'novel' A writer. It was derived from a prompt where we have a discussion with a high-powered being, This is the flip side of my Conversation that will take place.

"
(Note: This is my Friend's reversal and, wasn't written by me. As stated in the description these are reversals of a prompt we are working on, we might incorporate it into a book eventually.)

Prompt: "A stranger sits next to you on a bench and strikes up a conversation. Part of the way through, he reveals that he is actually God and you are helping him decide whether or not to destroy the Earth."

 

Usually, it takes a lot for a mere stranger to pull me out of the comfort of my subconscious reverie. This is because most people are as boring as the mundane lives they lead. This shows in the way they talk, how they look, and the activities they pursue. However, there are a special few who are able to force me to acknowledge their presence�"and this guy happened to be one of them. The funny part is that at a first glance there wasn’t much that was special about him. He was a typical twenty-something who seemed to think that he had everything “figured out” and had all his s**t together. He swaggered to the bench with the most devious grin on his face and a sea of questions in his eyes. He seemed acutely aware of the fact that I was averting my gaze from his, and sat rather close to me on the bench (much too close for my liking).

“Nice day we’re having, ain’t it?,” he mused.

“The day just started.”

“What a snappy one we have here,” he laughed. Naturally, I moved to give him the nastiest glare I could muster. Instead, I ended up getting a really good look at him. He had the gaze of an old soul in those green eyes of his. For this reason, I was compelled to actually engage him in discussion.

“Can we just skip past the small talk? What do you want from me?” I sighed.

He rolled his eyes at me and said, “Christ, can’t a stranger strike up a conversation with a pretty lady like yourself without any ulterior motives?”

“You must be out of your f*****g mind if you think all people have good intentions.”
“Why so cynical? Why so serious?” he taunted.

It was my turn to laugh. “I wouldn’t say that I’m a cynic. I’m more of a realistic optimist.”

His eyebrows shot up with what appeared to be intrigue. “Interesting. I have a question for you.”

“Shoot.”

“If God came down to Earth and asked you whether it should be destroyed or not, what would you say to him?”

It seems that I was quick to write him off as a c**t-in-the-making. Entertaining this conversation probably wasn’t such a bad idea after all. After my brief re-evaluation of his character, I finally responded, “I don’t know whether God actually exists, but I think the Earth would eventually be destroyed anyway given the nature of how the universe operates. Nothing lasts forever.”

There was a thoughtful lull in the conversation and the expression on his face became unreadable. He seemed to be struggling to make a decision�"the decision to tell me a huge secret or leave me in the dark about the thought currently dancing around in his mind. I took this moment of contemplation as a sign of confusion, but before I could clarify my position he piped up and said, “What if I told you that I had the ability to destroy the world if you demanded it of me?”

“Hmmm. What would I have to gain in demanding such a thing? What significance does my input hold? Also, how do I know that you really have that ability?” I inquired.

“My dear, you’ll just have to trust me on this one,” he said in a solemn tone. His gaze was directed up at the sun stained sky now.

How could he expect me to trust him? First of all, I have known this f****r for only five minutes and he’s already asking me really loaded questions. Not only that, but he expects me to believe that he’s god or the creator of the universe. Usually, these are red flags that signify a time to get away from a crazy if not dangerous individual. If not red flags for that, it could be a sign that I’m wasting my time on bullshit and I would be better off drifting back into that seemingly mindless state I usually enter when I’m waiting for something. But for some odd reason I can’t avoid him and entertaining this discussion seems like a fun little game. On the one hand, I could just toy with him and make him look like a complete a*s. On the other hand, I could make him unleash chaos into the world just to make life a bit more interesting. Either way, it’s a win-win for me.

“Well, mate. What would you say if I told you that the world should end in hellfire or a nuclear hailstorm?” I smirked.

He turned back to me and replied, “What happened to that realistic optimism you mentioned earlier? That doesn’t seem like something you’d really want.”

“Although I think things usually will turn out for the better, a little chaos never hurt anyone did it? Also, don’t you think that planet Earth would be so much better without humanity sucking the vitality out of it?”

He looked thoughtful and said, “Well I suppose you have a point, but is that sufficient enough for the destruction of life? If I destroyed humanity, it wouldn’t matter much since the Earth would have an end as you mentioned earlier.”

“True.” I was conflicted.

“Consider this: without mankind there wouldn’t be any being to really appreciate all that the universe has to offer. Also, don’t you think that your life has some kind of value or significance?”

“Wait�"are you saying that the human race is the only form of sentient life out there? Interesting. I think that in the grand scheme of things, my life only bears as much significance while people who can recall it are still alive. And since everything has a start point and an end point and we all get recycled into the universe, it doesn’t matter too much. Therefore, you should definitely work your magic and destroy.”

“I see,” he mumbled with a dead look on his face.

“After all, you’re the creator are you not? Think of the universe as a ball of play-doh. You can shape it however the hell you want, and if you aren’t satisfied with the outcome you may crush it and change it into something else,” I continued.

“I know what to do now,” he said while looking into my eyes as if he was losing a loved one. He planted a soft kiss on my forehead and all thoughts and any concept of a self that I once held faded into oblivion.



© 2014 Hicks


Author's Note

Hicks
Anything Me and, my friend would love too hear criticism.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
Added on June 12, 2014
Last Updated on June 12, 2014
Tags: Sci-Fi. Fiction, Wonder, Philosophy, Conversation, Prompt, WIP

Author

Hicks
Hicks

About
My Interests: Literature related: H.P Lovecraft Stephen King Dante A. My generic interests: Debates ( Politics, Religion, Literature, science, essentially everything. Though, I do know when .. more..

Writing
Flesh. (WIP) Flesh. (WIP)

A Story by Hicks


Power Power

A Story by Hicks


A Conversation. A Conversation.

A Story by Hicks