COMPLEXION

COMPLEXION

A Chapter by NeiL ArandA
"

Beauty is only skin deep

"



Why Asian Women Wants Fair Skin and Why American Women Wants Tan ?

There's a famous poem written by Filipino American Poet titled " MILKFISH " It's a story during the Second War about a young filipina working as an apprentice during the Japanese occupation of the Philippines where she's treated with specialty ( given extra food by Japanese soldiers from their military rations ) due to her fair complexion or known to us as "mestiza."

Having a fair complexion has been associated by many in some countries of being a descent of affluent family or aristocratic lineage or a hybrid of out of the border matchmaking. Or simply someone that doesn't work outdoor or menial job. So it's not uncommon to see people on the other side of the globe sporting umbrella in summer time as if they are afraid of the sun. In the West they associated the brown or tan complexion as a symbol of someone that is healthy and fit. Which is why you see many sun worshipers basking like seal in the beach in scantily clad apparel trying to get a good shade on their skin at the expense of damaging UV rays.

In the early years of Miss Universe Beauty Pageant. South American Women contestants dominates the stage and garnered the most wins even though they are not fluent in English and need a translator. What's the deciding factor ? Tan or Brown skin. The American judges were mesmerized not by their evening gown, swimsuit, or response to question and answer portion but by their natural, evenly roasted complexion!

On the other hand when it comes to academics. Its not the deciding factor to excellence on how a student overall academic performance tallies but how fluent a student is when speaking a foreign language particularly English. It doesn't matter if you're bad in other subject. You speak good and fluent English, You're voted for class president and has great influence on how your teacher subjectively grades you. Blame the Media, Vogue magazine or how the world defines which is fit, whose healthy and desirable and what's respectable.

There's no discrimination of color in the Philippines which results to bullying. Its a socially accepted norm base on competition and culturally accepted perception by women born on practical side of the reality of hard life by increasing their chances of attracting a future mate as better provider that is on the higher end of financial scale for future security. Its an asset that if it's not inborn can now be acquired through cosmetics or artificial means . Birds and animals in the wild attracts mate by sounds and flashing their unique colors which the opposite sex finds irresistible and attractive. Human just happened to do the same by their pigmentation.

On the scholastic side. Bullies are just glorified academic losers who hasn't figured out yet how to properly channel their inborn insecurities through sports at the expense of academics prowess. Philippines doesn't have rampant bullying problem in schools like the West. And targets of bullying doesn't believe in Trench Coat Justice bearing assault rifles or student vigilante version of The Punisher. They simply and perspectively transcended them!


by NeiL ArandaA



© 2018 NeiL ArandA


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
one thing is for sure, Media television has/have great impact on our own lives, that everything that is superficial is great...seems like everyone wants to look good...and no matter who you look at it, culture varies in each country,truth will always be subjective - same goes to beauty...

Posted 5 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

5 Years Ago

The world has its own standard and definition of beauty. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. It's.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

236 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 18, 2017
Last Updated on September 16, 2018

RANDOM THOUGHTS


Author

NeiL ArandA
NeiL ArandA

Pearl of the Orient Seas



About
JESUS AND THE SPARROWS Consider The Sparrow Here Jesus was walking alone along the Mediterranean Sea near Tiberius in the northern part of Israel and He offers seeds to some sparrows searchi.. more..

Writing
ABSCOND ABSCOND

A Poem by NeiL ArandA