Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Broken Child
"

best chap so far js ;D

"

“Honey we need to talk,” Mum started off, but I ignored her. Sadly, she stepped in the way of the staircase to my room. I groaned and turned to the kitchen. “Jessica, I know your father and I don't get along...” I laughed as I pulled out the peanut butter from the cupboard. “You split up so that's kind of obvious.” I felt bad for sounding so mean but today hadn't exactly gone as I planned. “I know, but we've got talking again. He has a daughter, around the same age as you. They're going to stay with us a while.” I stopped spreading the PB&J on my bread, and instead dropped my knife on the floor. “What?” I stood in disbelief whilst my mother continued. “I know it's sudden, but he's got a new job now and is earning a lot of money. Once he's earned enough for his own place, he'll be gone. He said he can share some cash with us, considering we're letting him stay.” I stared at the dropped knife, the jam sticking to the floor. “You mean you're letting him stay,” I corrected. Mum just shook her head slowly. “Jess please try and understand. For one we need the money, and he only lost his place because of the rent cost. I promise you, he's changed a lot.” I huffed, finally picking up the sticky knife. “Well whoever his daughter is, she is not sharing my room.” Mum smiled a little. “Her name is Heather, and she will be using the lounge while your father sleeps in the guest room.” she came over to me and wrapped me up in a hug but I pushed her away. “I'm not in the mood, okay?” I grabbed the sandwich and stormed up to my room.


“Wow I really like the necklace, Clara!” Holly, a girl in class, smiled brightly at Clara. She grinned happily, fingering the silver on her neck. “Thanks Holly, love the dress,” she replied. Holly smiled again but instead returning to her seat she sat herself down at our table. 'Our table' used to consist of me and Kelsey, but now it included Clara, Holly, another girl Leila and a bunch of guys who I personally think are really annoying. Whoever wasn't already at the table was staring at us as if they wished they were. Well I wished I wasn't, but in reality there was nowhere else to sit and Kelsey was my best friend. Or at least she was meant to be. Next period we had English, but our substitute teacher Miss Barns didn't seem to care in the slightest what we were doing so Clara hopped on her desk and began talking. “So, like, my dad is super rich and got me this from Ohio,” she began, addressing her small crowd of students. I rolled my eyes for about the hundredth time today. I can't help it. “My mum is so amazelings, so she just lets me do whatever I want.” The girls oohed and aahed, as if she was the Queen of Cool, which I guess now she had become. Yasmin, a dorky girl from the class scurried over to Kelsey, who was sitting on the desk beside Clara. “Jeez Kels, you're so lucky you got to be Clara's mentor. She's probably the most popular girl now.” Kelsey just laughed happily, like everything was perfect. I gave Yasmin the cold shoulder and turned to Kelsey. “We're still walking home together, right? I rented a load of movies?” Kelsey seemed distant as I talked to her. “Huh? Oh not tonight Jess. We're busy.” I frowned. “But it's Friday, first Friday of the month. You always come over on Friday.” Kelsey shook her head. “Well, not every Friday, okay? Next week maybe.” I bit my lip as I sat back down in my seat. I knew I shouldn't feel jealous but Kelsey seemed to have forgotten I was her friend, let alone her best friend, practically since we were born. I chewed at my nails for a while, watching the class laugh at Clara's jokes and compliment her perfect tan. By the time the bell rang I felt like I had been waiting for years to get out that door. I took the slow walk to the subway, hoping I would miss the first trip and have to wait a while until the next one. Sure enough I arrived just in time to watch it pull out of the station. "That's too bad," the voice came from behind me. I turned around to watch the Jamaican man nod in my direction and sit down on his seat. "Well, I don't care. I'll wait," I said, trying my best to sound brave. The man shrugged and sat down, but instead of pulling out his drums, he pulled out a guitar. He began to play. I stood for a while, strolling around the station, until eventually I found myself at a donut stall. "One �" wait, two sugar donuts please." The woman handed over the bag and I walked back over to the old man strumming his guitar. I picked out my donut and handed the other to him. He shook his head, but I stopped him. "You say you don't play for money, right?" I argued. He laughed, a crackle in his throat. "No food either. I play for-" "Happy." I interrupted him. "Well, donuts are pretty much the same, right?" The old man laughed again, slowly taking the sugary treat from my fingertips. "I'm Jess," I said, sitting down beside him. "Now girlie why do you think I need to know your name?" he asked, resting his worn fingers on the guitar. It was wooden and was painted bright yellows and reds, but the colours and since faded, giving the guitar a rustic look. "Because I'm not a stranger anymore," I said slowly. The man nodded in reply. "So you're a friend?" I smiled a little and repeated, "A friend." I watched him slowly, stroking the guitar like a beloved pet dog. "What about your name? Haven't you got a name?" He shook his head laughing. "I ain't got no good name, girlie. When I find one, it's gonna be mine. I ain't found it yet." He returned to his guitar, strumming chords as he sang. It was a tune I'd never heard before, but I liked it. I reached over to the drums and started to tap them, slowly at first. Soon we were making our own little duet, right in the subway. Some people smiled, some turned away. When my trip back home pulled into the station, I was a little more than dissapointed, but I got up anyway. "This is it," I said, shaking off the bits of gravel which had stuck to my jeans. The man tipped his hat. "Good day, ma'lady," he said, attempting a posh accent. I courtesied in return. "Good day to you," I replied, before hopping on the train and pulling out of the station.



© 2013 Broken Child


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
Added on April 23, 2013
Last Updated on April 23, 2013


Author

Broken Child
Broken Child

New Zealand



About
Recovering... more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Broken Child


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Broken Child