Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

A Chapter by Broken Child

“Clara I cannot believe how much fun that was yesterday!” Kelsey and Clara were sharing their gossip between themselves while I sat awkwardly by myself at the end of the table. “I know, it's not as big as the one in Cali, but the mall here is cool.” I looked down at my sandwich, suddenly not hungry. Clara and Kelsey seemed to not even notice I was here, so I tried my best to zone out of the conversation. “Jess, what are you wearing?” I snapped back into action as Clara said my name. She looked sweet but her voice sounded sour. “Uh, clothes?” I said. Kelsey giggled. “No, the huge stain on your shirt.” I looked down and replied, “What stain-” suddenly Clara reached over and pushed my juice carton over so it fell on me. The cold liquid stung my skin instantly. “That stain,” she said, laughing. Even Kelsey seemed to think it was hilarious. I was fuming. “Aw, are you gonna say something, freak? What are you gonna do, hug me?” Kelsey had grown quiet but Clara was finding it all too funny. Even a bunch of other students chimed in. I stood up hastily and made my way to the door of the cafeteria. I could still hear the cheers when I got to the girls bathroom. I wiped the mess as best as I could but nothing worked. It was ruined. I felt like crying, screaming, swearing. Nothing came out of my mouth. Instead, I grabbed my bag and headed for home.


"What a mess!" I had since got changed and Mum was cleaning the stain. "How did this happen, Jess?" I shrugged, watching as Heather smirked. I felt anxious in her rather large presence, but tried to ignore it. "Why isn't she at school?" I asked, trying to change the subject. Heather blew at a strand of hair in her face. "She'll be coming to your school soon," answered Mum, patting the bright orange blob. "and you haven't answered my question." I shrugged again, standing up. "I �" I'm going out," I said, reaching for my bag. "No, you're not," Mum said, but I was already out the door. Scanning the street for God knows who, I crossed and took the shortcut through the park. The large trees overhanging the pathway slowly began to drop their leaves. A woman walking her dog jogged past me, a man in dark glasses read his newspaper under a tree. Just as I reached the playground, a family strode up. Great, I muttered, but instead of leaving I stood by the old Oak tree and watched a young girl run up to the swings. "Push me, push me!" she yelled happily. "Alright, shall we count?" The voice belonged to a dark-haired man who must have been her father. "One, two, three..." together they counted each swing. "Mummy!" the little girl suddenly stopped swinging and jumped off, running and hugging her mother. "Come play with us!" The small family began playing on the playground together. They seemed all too... happy. Brushing off the mixed emotions, I left the playground and headed to my brother.


"Someone's cleaned you up," I whispered to myself as I stroked the gravestone softly. Instead of the limestone that covered the rock, a polished shine gleamed over his name. I knelt down, unsure of what to say. Although I visited my brother often enough, I felt weird talking to a rock, or dirt, or a dying flower. I sighed, rubbing my face with my hands. I felt a pat on my back and flinched. "What are you doing?" I asked hurriedly, standing up to see the boy from yesterday. "Cleared him up for you," he said, a smile on his lips. I crossed my arms in defense. "Oh really? Why would you do that?" he shrugged, looking around for a moment. "I thought he needed it. You, needed it." Raising an eyebrow he continued to smile. "In case you forgot, I'm-" "Eric. I know." He nodded and laughed. "Yep, and you're still Jess." He stepped away, reached out a hand. "Walk?" At first I hesitated, before pushing past his arm and began to walk. "Persistent, aren't you?" I said, not taking my eyes off the sidewalk as we strolled down Main street. "Very. So tell me, who are you?" I rolled my eyes at his question. "Jess? McIntyre to be exact." He shook his head. "No no, who are you?" I lifted my head in confusion. "You know �" what's your story?" I laughed sarcastically. "Story? What story? I have no story." Eric paused before pulling my arm. "Come on," he said, and started leading the way. We were silent for a few moments as he lead me down different roads, past old houses, the museum, the corner store. Eventually we arrived at a small reserve, full of fallen trees and dust. "This is where I, uh, think." Eric wavered his arm to the trees and bushes. "So, if you tell me your story, I'll tell you mine. Deal?" I couldn't quite look him in the eye as I replied, "Deal."



© 2013 Broken Child


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on April 24, 2013
Last Updated on April 24, 2013


Author

Broken Child
Broken Child

New Zealand



About
Recovering... more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Broken Child


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Broken Child