Chapter VII

Chapter VII

A Chapter by Lydia

    "They're called Magnanimity. Kind of a mouthful, I know. They're kind of like the Inside of New Jersey, but as far as I can tell they are actually what they claim to be. They've been sending us food and water for about five years now. Ever since the Inside quit sending food so however long thats been. They're located in the middle of New Jersey. As far as the people, they aren't quite as strict with the clothing and all, but their signature color is blue. I think it's pretty interesting that they don't have the same hair and eye color. The legal system there is a lot different. People actually get to choose at any age where they want to be so there are a lot of different kinds of people." Ander went on and on as we sat, sprawled across the floor as he explained everything he knew about Magnanimity. I honestly have no idea why he even got the book out because it seemed like he had pretty much memorized it.


  "Ander?" I interrupted as he continued to ramble on about different parts of their history.


He stopped talking and turned his head to look at me. "Yeah?"


    "How come you know all of this? I know that you really like history and all, but why do you know so much about this particular faction?"


    He pressed his lips together and stared over at the page of the book that had all the information about Magnanimity. "I guess I've always had this hope that someone would help us. I've just always wanted to get out of here so bad. For a long time I thought the Inside would help us one day. That's why I know so much about it, and that's how I knew that you were the princess. I wanted to know everything I could incase I'd be there. Then, they stopped sending food and I dropped to the lowest point. I thought it was over, that there was no point in even trying anymore. I just lost all the hope that I had built up."


      Ander's eyes looked watery as he chewed on his lip and stared at the wall. What would it feel like to know that you were stuck here forever? I don't think I could stand it. He had to have been young at that point, too, and it couldn't have been too long since his father disappeared. My parents aren't the best, but atleast I've always had someone to take care of me.


    "But then Magnanimity started to send food, and slowly I started to build up hope again. I looked the faction up in my book, and I would read about it every night before I went to bed. I've been doing the exact same thing that I did with the Inside. I always think about Magnanimity stepping in and helping us out. And then you came and now I feel like this is our chance. Maybe you can actually make something happen since you're the princess and all. That has to count for something."


     Would it count for something? It would make sense. I'm sure the title would make me more convincing atleast a little bit.


    "Sorry, I sound too enthusiastic. You probably think I'm insane," Ander muttered with a red face. I had been thinking but I guess he thought I was being silent because I thought he didn't make any sense.


     I shook my head and without really thinking I ended up clasping his hand. "I don't think you're insane. If more people had your enthusiasm then this would be a whole lot easier. In fact, you make a lot of sense. I could be more convincing since I'm the princess. I know first hand what goes on in the Inside. See, this was our plan-"


 Ander knitted his eyebrows together. "Our plan? Who else has this plan?"


     I had completely forgot to tell him about Anastasia and Matthias. Of course, I hadn't really had the chance to tell him about them, either. "My friends, Anastasia and Matthias, want to help, too. They're my best friends so I promise you that you can trust them. We came up with a plan to get to Magnanimity. The boat docks here once a week at night right?"


  Ander nodded his head. "Every Friday night."


     Great. That only gave us two more days. "So, we were thinking that we could sneak on the boat, and then the next morning we would be on it when it goes back to New Jersey."


  "How are we supposed to sneak on the boat without the driver seeing us?"


    I hadn't really thought about that, yet. In my head it all seemed so easy, but now that we're talking about it out loud, maybe this is going to be harder than I think. "I guess I haven't really gotten that far."


      Ander sighed and ran a hand through his hair. Drumming his fingers on the floor he reminded me of Matthias. He always did that whenever he was thinking about something. Well, whenever Matthias used his brain which wasn't very often.


   "This is really risky, Nyx. Maybe we should wait a little longer so we can plan it out a little better."


    I scoffed and shook my head. "Seriously, Ander, you're going to bail on me now? I thought you really wanted this?"


      "I never said I was going to bail on you. I just said that maybe be should take a little more time to make sure we're prepared."


    "No. We don't have time. I don't think it matters when we do this, or how prepared we are. There are still going to be risks, and it probably will still be dangerous. We just have to do it, and deal with whatever happens when we get there."


    Somewhere between the time when I was talking Ander had stood up and began pacing back and forth. Man, this boy got fidgety when he was thinking. Finally he stopped in front of me where I was still sitting.


   "I get all of that, okay? But we have to be realistic."


    "Oh yeah, because sitting around for years, waiting for some faction from another state to come save you is so realistic," I spat, but it came out more harsh than I had meant for it to.


     He turned his head to face the floor, and I immediatley regretted what I said. There I go again, sticking my foot in my mouth like always. My parents were right, I'm not cut out to be a princess. It's not just because the Inside is horrible, no, I couldn't be a princess for any faction. Because I always end up saying or doing something stupid.


     I clamped my hand over my mouth. "Oh my gosh, Ander. I'm so sorry. I-I shouldn't have said that. It...it just came out. I didn't mean it."


    He looked back up at me again, an obviously fake smile on his face. "Really, it's okay." He waved his hand dismissively. "But, whatever, let's just keep making the plans. Your right about not having time. We should do like you said, just take it all as it comes."


     He was acting to nonchalant about it. I could tell that it hurt his feelings, and now I felt horrible. I bit at my lip, deciding that I wouldn't say anything else about it for now. "Yeah."


    "Y'know, I think I know someone who could help us. My dad's friend that I told you about before, the one who helped me get my job?"


 I nodded my head. "I remember."


    "Well, I was thinking that he could help us out. Were just teenagers so it might be hard to get these people to listen to us. If we had an adult, then maybe that would make us more believable.  Plus, he's probably kill me if I didn't let him in on it."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


    And that suggestion is how I ended up sitting in Gray Hawthorne's 'house' on the other side of the Inbetween.


"So, do you think it could work?" Ander asked, after telling the man our plans.


    Gray didn't answer for a bit, just sat with his feet propped up on the table, rubbing his stubbly jaw. He was an older man, probably in his late forties or early fifties. He looked like he was probably quite nice looking when he was younger, but now his face was wrinkled and worn with age, life, and the dirt of the Inbetween.


     Soon, I started loosing my patience. Ander and I exchanged a glance. "What's taking him so long?" I mouthed, gesturing to the man. Ander shrugged in response.


    I leaned forward in my chair. And let me just say that I found it quite odd that he had furniture. Because as far as I knew, no one else here did. It was only a table and four chairs, but that was still more than anyone else had. "Mr. Hawthorne-"


  The man grunted. "I'm still thinking, and call me Gray."


    I sighed and started again. "Look, Gray, I'm going to have to go home soon, and-"


     I was cut off by Ander kicking my leg underneath the table. I yelped and moved my leg, shooting a glare at the boy sat beside me. He raised his finger to his mouth, signaling for me to shut my mouth. I huffed and crossed my legs over my chest. Was it really neccesary to kick me?


     "Alright, I think it sounds like a good plan. There are some kinks in there that we might need to sort out, and a few details that might need to be addressed. But other than that, I think it sounds pretty good. I'm quite impressed. Pretty smart for an Inside girl."


 I narrowed my eyes. "Excuse me? What is that supposed to mean?"


      Gray smirked and shrugged his shoulders. "Insider girls tend to think they're too high and mighty to bother with school. A bunch of air headed-"


    The nerve of this man! Who the heck did he think he was? "I am highly educated, thank you very much. For your information I'm the p-"


      Ander grabbed my arm and yanked me out of the chair. "We really have to be going. Nyx needs to get home so she doesn't get in trouble. Thanks for agreeing to go with us. Is there anything else you need to say before we leave?" Ander spouted out quickly, talking over what I was about to say.


      Gray stood up from his seat and gave me a strange look. "Yeah, um, the boat docks at around two o'clock in the morning. So, you and your friends should probably stay the night."


 What was I going to tell my parents? They would probably suspect something. "I don't know if-"


    "They'll be here! We've got to go, Gray. I'll see you later," Ander called over his shoulder and ushered me out the door and quickly closing it behind him.


     Once we got outside I threw my hands in the air. "What the heck was that about? Why did you keep cutting me off?"


    Ander shushed me and pulled me farther away from Gray's house. When he stopped in a more secluded area he kept his hand clasped on my wrist. "You cannot tell anyone that you're the princess," he hissed, his voice a low whisper.


 I knitted my eyebrows together and looked at him in confusion. "What? Why?"


     "Because people around here don't like the Inside. They resent them for what they did. Some have this deep hatred for them, especially Gray. And I don't know why he hates them so much. He never talks about his past, but I'm almost certain that something happened between him and the Inside. It's one thing that you're just an Insider, but if they find out that you're the princess then I don't know what Gray or anyone else might do. Don't tell anyone okay? It's between me and you. I don't want you getting hurt."


     There was something about the way he said the last sentence that made me think he really meant it. He didn't want me to get hurt. So, did that mean that he cared about me? "Yeah, yeah okay. I-I won't say anything."


  He smiled at me wrapped my hand in his, giving it a squeeze. "Good. I'll walk you out."


    I nodded and allowed him to lead me back into the area of the Inbetween where the houses were, still holding my hand. Now that it was later, there weren't very many people out. It was much quieter, and I couldn't hear the cries of those who had lost people they loved. But it was like you could still sense the grief in the air. I knew that behind those rugged doors there were heartbroken people who wanted something better for themselves and for their children.


     It was sad and it was pitiful. And I kind of felt guilty that I could be complaining about my situation when people here had it much worse.


    Ander looked over at me, noticing my glum expression. He bumped me with his shoulder to get my attention. "Hey, you okay?"


    I looked up at him and put on a small smile. "Yeah, I'm good. Just thinking about stuff, I guess." I let my gaze fall to the ground and I stayed silent for a bit. "Y'know, I really am sorry about what I said earlier about you waiting around for Magnanimity. I was way out of line. I know you said that it was no big deal, but I feel really bad about it."


  Ander shrugged. "Seriously, it really was no big deal. I didn't even give it a second thought."


    "Yeah, but I did. It's a big deal to me because I know how you feel. I've done the exact same thing. I know our situations are completely different, but in a way they're a lot alike. For years I've planned and plotted and played out different scenarios in my head of how I was going to get out of the Inside. But I never did anything about it. I had the same hope that something would just happen and I'd get out. But I never did anything to make it happen. And if someone told me that that was stupid, I'd be crushed."


     He shook his head, and stuck his free hand in his pocket. "You never said it was stupid," he mumbled.


    I rolled my eyes at him. Good grief he was difficult. "But I implied it, and that's just as bad. So stop being stubborn and denying that I hurt your feelings, and just accept my freaking apology."


  Ander chuckled. "So demanding, and fine, I accept your apology."


      I giggled and held my head up, proud that I had gotten my way. "Thank you." I tilted my head back and smacked my forehead with my hand. "I can't believe I've only known you for two days, and I've already hurt your feelings."


  "You didn't hurt my feelings," Ander said in a sing-song voice, grinning when I let out an exasperated sigh.


   "Whatever. Let me rephrase that then. I can't believe I've only known you for two days, and I've already said something stupid."


     Ander scrunched up his nose and waved his hand in the air. "Eh, I expected you to say something stupid. You are an Inside girl after all. You think you're so high and mighty, and you're so enducated. Obviously you would say something stupid," he teased, referencing my earlier tiff with Gray.


     I scoffed and snatched my hand away from his, using it to shove him. That only made him laugh harder. I have to admit that I was trying to hide a smile. "Jerk," I gasped, shoving him again.


   He held his hands up in surrender. "I was kidding, I was kidding."


 I huffed and crossed my arms, putting on a pouty face.


"You know you want to laugh," Ander said, poking me in the side and making me giggle.


     We teased each other the rest of the way to the entrance of the Inbetween. A few people even poked their heads out the door because we were laughing too loud. Laughter probably isn't something you hear too much of in the Inbetween.


  After saying our goodbyes I smiled at Ander one more time. "I think we'll make a great team, Mr. Monroe."


He grinned. "Me too, Miss Fein."


  I rolled my eyes at my blatant lameness, and said goodbye again before starting back down the path.


"You better not chicken out on me, Fein!" Ander called from behind me.


     I turned my head around to see him still standing in the entrance with a smirk on his face. "Wouldn't dream of it, Monroe," I called over my shoulder.



© 2012 Lydia


Author's Note

Lydia
Why is it that every time I imagine Ander, I always imagine him looking like Harry Styles? I have been reading waaay too much One Direction fanfic lately. Not that I'm complaing. Harry Styles is quite pleasant on the eyes.

ANYWAYS, this chapter took me forever to write. I got a serious case of writer's block, but thankfully I had the slightest bit of a break in it today and was able to write this. The writer's block started to come back towards the end, though, so sorry about that. I hope you liked it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

So, as I said, Harry Styles is indeed pleasant on the eyes, but I didnt picture Ander like that, and now I have to! Darn you! I'm completely engrossed in this book, its so good and your writing is impeccable! Please post more really, really soon!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Harry styles is pleasant on the eyes

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sophie

11 Years Ago

There was a huge review after that! Darn it! I must've put a heart.
Lydia

11 Years Ago

You and those hearts, Sophie! You should have learned your lesson by now! JK! Do you think you could.. read more
Sophie

11 Years Ago

Sure! hold on!
I loved it!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Love this so much!! I can't wait for the next chapter!!!! < 333

Posted 11 Years Ago


I LOVED IT!!!! So cute and annoying (in a good way)!! Waiting for next chapter, badly!
Really good going Lydia!
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

407 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 13, 2012
Last Updated on September 13, 2012


Author

Lydia
Lydia

Enchanting Wonderland of Fantasies, AL



About
Hello, people of Writerscafe.org! Here are some random questions to get to know me better: 1. What's your favorite candle scent? Anything that has some kind of baked good in the name. 2. What f.. more..

Writing
Over Again Over Again

A Book by Lydia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter IX Chapter IX

A Chapter by Lydia


 Chapter V Chapter V

A Chapter by Lydia


Chapter VIII Chapter VIII

A Chapter by Lydia