The Silhouette of The Statue

The Silhouette of The Statue

A Story by Bobby Madden
"

The first horror piece I've ever written.

"

The sky was grey. The clouds were dark. There was minimal light, and the sun was veiled, but it was daytime. The tall trees stood like withered skeletons across the landscape, spread widely apart from each other. Their branches were long, contorted, and leafless, piercing into the overcast of sorrow. I crept through the woodland terrain, having no knowledge of where I was or why I was there. Suddenly, I heard something. It sounded as if an old man had just taken in a massive inhale of air after being deep underwater and having to swim all the way up to the surface. The sound came from behind me. I wanted to know the source of this sound to discern whether or not it could bring me harm, despite my fear of what it could be. I turned around and saw someone there. It was a woman. The very sight of her turned my bones into ice. She bore no clothing. Her face and her breasts were concealed by her lengthy jet black hair. Her skin was corpse grey, like the sky of calamity that lingered above. Her right arm began to rise, with her hand open and her fingers hanging toward the ground in exception for her pointer finger which was pointed straight ahead. Upon instinct, I wished to turn around and evaluate that which her ghastly hand appeared to be designating, thus I turned to the direction in which I was originally turned, and something stood far away from me that was not there before, and I felt the temperature of the air drastically decline the immediate instant I looked upon it. It was a gargantuan stone statue. It appeared to be facing away from me, as no face could be detected. Two arms with menacing claws hung at forty-five degree angles. A head with two small horns was titled forward. Two monstrous wings stretched out far to the sides. The entity this statue depicted was not of the world I had known. I noticed my breath had become visible in the glacial air that enveloped me. On the other side of the statue, an inexplicable light began to shine from the ground, getting brighter with each second. As the light augmented in strength, the sky got darker, and eventually, my eyes beheld a harrowing silhouette from the statue. A flash of purple lightning lit up the sky, and a rumble of thunder followed it. A heavy downpour of rain fell to the earth from the blackened sky. A vehement wind furiously came forth from the unknown realm beyond the statue with a whistle of malice. Lightning and thunder continued to ensnare my perception with increasing ferocity. The ground started to quake, and a loud humming noise permeated the realm. The light behind the statue flickered off and on at a frantically rapid pace, and an ear-shattering noise that could only be described as the accumulated screams of a thousand children shot through the air at an unsurpassable volume, and horror was omnipresent. Then, the world went black, and the noise of multiple keys of an organ being pressed with aggressive force interrupted the screams of the children. My heartbeat had escalated to a fatal speed. My nervous system was sabotaged. My mind was in sheer disarray, and after all the excruciatingly tormenting stimuli I had just underdone, I was on the threshold of begging for death. The sound of the organ faded away, and my vision held nothing but blackness, but in the blackness, I heard the voice of a young girl coming from somewhere in front of me. The voice echoed in a whisper throughout the black void as if it had some unseen solid walls. “He’s watching you.” I gazed about the blackness but could find nothing visually perceivable. Eventually, I couldn’t even move. I was frozen, as if some unearthly energy had inflicted me with paralysis. My limbs were incapable of motion, and I was completely and utterly powerless. Then, I heard another whisper. This time, what I heard was spoken without an echo, and it was spoken from directly behind me. The gender of the speaker was not female. “You know who I am.” 

© 2013 Bobby Madden


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Again, the audio is a great asset to this piece. I always get hooked on the "You know who I am" line. We all know that terror, that suspense. It's funny because it's within the thriller genre but there's such an emotional drama to it. That inner demon recoginizing you at your fault. That's incredibly human when represented within a circumstance such as an affair, prese.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
1 Review
Added on March 14, 2013
Last Updated on March 14, 2013
Tags: horror, scary, trees, silhouette, statue

Author

Bobby Madden
Bobby Madden

Manassas, VA



About
I play retro games on N64, SNES, and PSone. I drink coffee more than vampires drink blood. Let's be friends! more..

Writing
Smoke Smoke

A Poem by Bobby Madden