Them

Them

A Story by Bobby Madden
"

A fantasy/horror short story.

"

Destruction was everywhere. The evil swept through like a river on rock. So many have died. The ground is littered with the bodies of my people. Mangled torsos drenched in blood stared eternally into the burgundy night. They could not catch me. I took refuge in my sanctum, the underground cavern I had known since I was a child. I remained there until the screaming came to a cease. I found safety amidst the white cave, lit by luminescent crystals, and it had not been breached during this dark hour. Now here I stand, choking on the dust, unable to believe the sight my eyes were beholding. Homes were in ruins. Families were decimated. Who could do such a thing? Who were these monstrous fiends that came with such a lust for blood? Where did they come from and why were they here? Was everyone in Rive dead except me? What about… her? Before, I could not make my way to her home without being slain by one of the countless massive predators. I had to investigate. I had to see if she had fallen. I could only hope not. If I was a theist, I would have prayed not. My steed had fallen, so I would have to move on foot, but that did not suppress my motivation to act. Now, I was sprinting, past all the lifeless bodies of my village of Rive. I was practically airborne. Perhaps she was alive and in distress. I had to prepare for the possibility that she was in need. I could save her. I had nothing but my body, my clothing, and my sword. I would determine the circumstances of her situation, and I would make the appropriate actions therefrom. If she had fallen, my soul would not rest until this race met extinction.

 

I sped across the barren earth, remaining vigilant for oncoming assailants, although they appeared to be gone. I had no knowledge of where they went, but I did not take the emptiness for granted. They could return in a manner of abruptness and inflict me with an excruciating death. I did know about hand to hand combat and I was equipped with a sword, but I would not be formidable enough to take on an army of these brutes. They were mortifying, reptilian titans that were capable of taking a life in endless ways. I saw my people attempt to defend themselves against them, but it was all in vain as they were dominated violently. Someone I had known for years had been impaled through the face right in front of me by a giant hand with menacing claws. As for the one for whom I was searching, the thought of her suffering the same fate was too agonizing to dwell upon. If it became a reality, it would be impossible to fall asleep. If I so much as could not find her, I would be restless. I would wander throughout the night wondering where she was. My heartbeat was frantic, as well as my breathing. I ran uphill and downhill, onward toward her home. She lived on the very edge of Magicore, some distance away from Rive. She wanted to live on the bank of Byssolith Arize, to enjoy the sight of the sunrise reflect upon those waters every morning. She was quite reclusive, which I respected and admired.

 

The best case scenario would be that she was there in her home, ultimately unscathed. I refused to even conclude as to what the worst case scenario would be. I pushed myself forward through the seemingly vacant land, and her home came into view. My heart was on the verge of exploding within my chest. The home had been destroyed. It was nothing but a ruin. Hyperventilating, I ran to the wreckage, and I began to call her name. I called it and called it, and I received no response. I rummaged through the wreckage, tossing every piece of wood that my hands fell upon. I spent what seemed like the entire night throwing wood into random directions, suffering from the fear of finding her dead body, but finally, there came a point when I realized that no corpse or living body was amidst the wreckage. She was nowhere to be found.

 

I was relieved to have not found her lying dead, so there was hope that she was alive, although there was still dread lingering within me. My hands were splintered and bleeding from how aggressively I moved the wood, and I was on my knees, trying to catch my breath and decide my next move. She never told me of any safe haven to which she would resort if she ever felt endangered. Perhaps she fled? Where could she flee to? What if she fled but did not flee with enough haste? What if she was apprehended and not eliminated? What if these tyrants do not eliminate everyone they see? I suddenly recalled seeing a few of them carrying members of my people on their shoulders. I did not contemplate the significance of that until now. Perhaps they intended to keep some for themselves? Why would they? Perhaps they were forced into thralldom? It seemed illogical, as these beings were tremendously muscular, which meant they were beyond capable of any physical labor. Perhaps their capability was deemed irrelevant and they were simply lazy and preferred their work to be done for them? As laughable as that sounded, it seemed probable. Perhaps they eliminated those who they deemed a potential threat, such as those who attempted to defend, and enslaved all the others? I cannot imagine how they could deem any one of us threatening, but maybe they do because they are unfamiliar with us and do not know the extent of our power? Even if some had been held captive, where could they have been taken? I knew not of where these entities even originated. I had to search. She was out there. But where would I look first? The closest village to my current location was Barkarion, within Quendolai Contortay. I wanted to know if this plague of hunters had entered Barkarion. I could see if any of the Barkarionites had any information about the invaders. It would also be beneficial if I could stock up on food and find a steed of sorts. Rive had fallen to those fiendish killers. This was my initial plan, and I had no idea if it would prove to be of any success or not, but it was the best step I could take into finding her. She was my best friend, and my heart would be forever torn if she met her end. My alternative options were to proceed south and cross Gargana Monolythe, but I deemed that impractical. Therefore, west I shall go into Barkarion, and may my efforts bode well for my dear sweet Skyavia.

 

Onward I walked to Quendolai Contortay, trying to regain my energy for my recent sprint, as well as my strenuous search through the broken home. I was in agonizing hunger, but I helped myself to the fresh water at Byssolith Arize. Barkarion abode within a forest of grey bark and contorted branches. Years ago, I passed through that wood on the way to Terraveno Ragonic, a valley where dragons ruled. I failed to tame any dragon when I was there, contrary to my objective. I could always make another endeavor to do so. I would obtain an efficient means of transportation, if I succeeded. I was not quite knowledgeable as to what the people of Barkarion were like. Nevertheless, I would find out once I got there. What if they were all killed? If it had been overrun by interlopers, I could use the trees as concealment while I ventured to Ragonic for a dragon. If she was not there, I would be left with one less place to investigate. I would not have the heart to discontinue my search even if I had explored a hundred regions. I was devout to her. I remember the time I fought her father after I witnessed him wrap his hands around her neck. I would not relinquish my devotion. I cared for her too much.


I went through tall grass and short grass, and I found a few berry bushes from which I took the liberty to pluck. The sun had risen, but the sky was still burgundy. The sun was partially veiled by an all-encompassing dark red cloud. The sky had this appearance ever since the invasion, coincidentally or not. Gargana Vyairn was in view. They were two mountains that were as long as they were tall, and their length and height surpassed that of the average mountain. Atop each mountain existed thin, tall trees that stretched forth into cloud, and between the mountains was Ragonic. The trees were known as Quendolai Heavenwood. Some say that amongst these trees could be found the most powerful fruits in the known realm, but one could not tread that soil without risking the harm or death from a dragon. I wondered what would reign triumphant between a dragon and a tyrant. If dragons held the advantage, taming one would entail a greater chance of defense and survival against the reptilian fiends. I ascended a large, grassy hill, and when I reached the top, I set eyes upon Contortay, and then I found myself upon the periphery of the forest, glaring through bark, trying to descry any moving forms of life. I had my sword, if anything transpired.

 

 Fallen leaves covered almost every bit of the soil. The scent of wood and leaves was in the air. I entered the forest on a designated path. I could not see the village from where I was, but I was headed in the right direction. I hoped to remain undetected from enemies during my entire expedition for Skyavia. I could theoretically be detected without knowing. Those assailants could perceive me at this very moment, waiting for their ideal time to strike. It would be easier for me to see, if the sun had nothing in front of it to diminish its light. There would be sheer silence if it were not for my unintentional rustling of leaves and breaking of branches. I did my best to circumvent anything that would produce a noise, but there were parts of the wood where it was virtually impossible. Nevertheless, it was empty, quiet, and cool, and I was nearly at peace if it were not for my dread and indignation. She could have been home safe. She could have been standing on the bank of Arize overlooking the dawn, and I had to ensure that she did so once again. I strode along the path, and homes became visible.

 

I emerged from the trees and entered the forest village of Barkarion. Gargana Vyairn could be seen above the trees of Contortay from where I stood. I saw people, which instantaneously brought me to a state of relief. This place had not been ravaged by monstrosities. There was not a single corpse in sight. There appeared to be no unrest in this region at all. I sensed tranquility. The people were leisurely going about their activities. The invasion of Rive seemed to have no effect upon Barkarion. There appeared to be no invasion here, but I wondered as to whether or not there would be. Perhaps the destroyers were intent on laying waste Barkarion and simply had not done so yet. The thought made me apprehensive. I anticipated them to come storming in at any minute, in an onslaught of terror. I anticipated blood spilling upon the soil and me having to choose between fleeing or taking on an army of tyrants. I had to determine whether or not these people knew anything. If they did know something, how could they appear so undisturbed? Surely the chance of the sky must have some effect on them. I hoped they could inform me as to what these things were, where they came from, and where they took the Elemientans who they did not kill. If they had no information to give me, then I could warn them, and the next step would be up to them. I had my own sanctum wherein I attained safety from the fiends, and it was large enough for all Barkarionites. Perhaps they had their own sanctum in which they sought refuge in dark times. I hope they had their own method of eluding capture and death. I had to take initiative and start a conversation while there was peace in this village.

 

 I moved at a slow pace. I did not want to alarm anyone, if my presence was discovered. I would behave as peacefully as possible. To my left, I could see a young man riding a horse, preparing to cross my path of travel. He looked straight ahead, seeming oblivious to me, and he moved quite leisurely. When he got close, I stopped him. “Excuse me, sir?” I asked. The man looked down upon me, finally noticing me, and he halted his horse. He bore short black hair, and he appeared to be in his twenties. “Hello. My name is Viax. I come from a village called Rive, and I come in peace. May I have a word with you, sir?” I said. “Very well. I am Equeste from Barkarion, and you may have a word with me,” the man responded. His tone was polite, and his facial expressions were friendly. I was comforted by his demeanor. “Thank you, sir. It is most appreciated. I must confess that I bring tidings that are not pleasant. My village has been… invaded… by a legion of strangers, and it has been completely destroyed. There is not a single living Human residing in Rive. I do not know who these strangers are or where they came from, but they are ruthless and dangerous. They are these reptilian humanoid beings that slay or abduct anyone in their path. I have seen what they do with my own eyes. I fortunately was never detected. I was able to find sanctuary in a place of which only I had known since I was a lad. Once the screaming had ceased, I departed from my sanctum and saw nothing but death and ruin. I made the decision to embark for Barkarion, as it was the closest residential area to Rive, and I wanted to warn the people here before they were forced to face the wrath of these monstrous creatures. They may very well bring the same mayhem to your beloved home. However, if you and the other inhabitants had prior knowledge of these entities, I would implore any willing Barkarionite to share any information with me regarding these entities as possible. I have a dear friend who I believe has been abducted by these strangers, and it is my objective to determine her location and bring her to safety. Master Equeste, is there anything you can tell me?”

          The man named Equeste appeared mortified. His face had been riddled with shock. He blinked numerous times, exhaled harshly, looked at the ground, and swayed his head to each side. He then looked at me, maintaining his mortified expression. “If what you say is true, then Barkarion is not safe. We must do something, and we must do it swiftly, if my people and I are to survive. I am sorry but I never heard anything of this until now. I do hope you see your friend again. Moreover, I hope that the Barkarionites live to see tomorrow and same for you, Master Viax. The gratitude I have for your counsel is endless.” I was disheartened at the discovery that this man could give me no leads as to the whereabouts of Skyavia, but I attained some fulfillment at knowing I gave these people a change at salvation. “Could we take refuge in the sanctum you spoke of earlier, Master Viax?” asked Equeste. “That would be fine with me. I could lead you to the exact location. Everyone is welcome and you can bring as many supplies as you need,” I said. Equeste nodded. “I cannot thank you enough for your help, Master Viax. I will inform my people at once,” said Equeste. “Inhabitants of Barkarion! Desist your activities and heed my words! Our beloved village is no longer safe! A legion of savages has wrought havoc upon Elemientus! If we remain here, we may find them infiltrating our village before killing or abducting every one of us! Gather any necessities you have, and we shall make way for a haven in which we may find sanctuary from this terrible plague! We are indebted to this man for this opportunity at survival! We are indebted to Master Viax from the village of Rive!”

 

Equeste had spoken with conviction. His voice was bold, as if he were their leader. It was empowering to hear. However, something had broken my feeling of empowerment: the inhabitants. I expected them to initially react with panic and then begin to prepare for a journey back to my sanctum, but they were silent. There was no gasping. There was no murmuring. What I had noticed was they were all looking up at Equeste, but they were not just looking. They were glaring, with eyes wide open, without blinking, and all of their mouths were closed. Perhaps they were so stricken with fear that they could not find the strength to move? But then… their heads were moving. They were turning… turning simultaneously towards me. Their eyes… their eyes were fixed upon me. I began to look around the village and mentally absorb my surroundings. Every man, woman, and child, was glaring at me… with cold, wide open eyes that did not blink. There was silence. Nobody said a word. I was… I was confused. I was uneasy. I did not understand this behavior. What was going through their minds? It appeared as though nobody had any motivation to leave and fear was absent from their minds. Why did they glare at me? The longer I dwelt here in silence turning my head over and over to observe my surroundings, the harder a figurative hand clenched my stomach. “Master Equeste…? Is everything all right?” I asked. Equeste was looking away from me, still on his steed, which was motionless like the entire village. It was if it were not even breathing. It was more like a statue than a real horse. And… the horse was glaring at me too. I turned my attention to Equeste. He was the only one whose eyes were not fixated upon me. This was all inexplicable, and I was temped to leave and continue my search for Skyavia while this village chose to either remain in the village or find another means of salvation. I felt unsafe. I felt… haunted. Suddenly… he turned. He turned fast. His eyes. They were white. Pitch white. No pupils. And his mouth was opening. It was gaping. Open all the way. No sound. No words. No teeth were shown. What was responsible for this physical modification? I felt… terror. I could not be here. I had to leave. And never come back. I backed away and prepared to exit. Laughter. There was laughter. I could see his teeth now. He was grinning. A sinister grin. A devilish grin. I had to look away, and I instinctively turned my attention to the rest of the people. Their eyes were pitch white like his, and their mouths were gaping wide like his was before he put on that grin. He spoke.


 “He… is… here….” A demonic, unearthly voice. Whispering, Whispering loudly. My mind was a raging tornado of terror and confusion. I lingered for too long. I turned. I ran. I was back in Contortay. I had no destination. I just could not be there. I was running, and I could not look back. I cared not as to where I went as long as I was not there, enduring the sight of their nightmarish faces. Something happened to that place, and I had no explanation as to what, but I did have a suspicion that it had something to do with the strangers. I was running, and then I fell. Sharp pain in my hands and knees. Had to get up. Had to keep moving. I lifted myself onto my feet, and then I looked behind myself out of sheer curiosity, wondering if I was being pursued, but I was not. Barkarion was no longer in sight. Only a burgundy day sky and grey bark could be descried. These terrifying beings apparently did not deem me of much significance. No attempt to detain or vanquish me had been made, as far as I could discern. What would beget such a frightful spectacle? And who did Equeste mean by “He”? Was he referring to me or someone else? I was not about to go back and ask, although I had more unanswered questions than my mind could tolerate. I turned back into the direction in which I originally ran…

 

Dead. I was dead. I was finished. My search was over. My life was over. Tyrant. Standing. Right here. In front of me. What do I do? What do I do? Cannot run. Cannot fight. Eyes. Pitch white. No pupils. Fangs. Teeth. Sharp. Grin. Malice. Bloodlust. Heart pounding. Panic. Think. Think. Sword. My sword. Get it. Use it. Try. Had to try. Skyavia. She needed me. She needed me. I unsheathed my sword, put on my battle face, relinquished my fear, and spun my blade. I could not intimidate this thing. It did not move. It did not breathe, for all I knew. It was motionless and infernal. Do I just attack and hope it does not retaliate and tear into my throat with razor claws? Maybe I could walk out of here without it engaging in pursuit? Maybe it was asleep? It… it just raised its left arm. Slowly. Ascending. It was about to come down. It would kill me. Had to act. Throat. I could cut its throat. Do it. Now. Kill. Swing. Now.

 

What… What just happened? The head. It was gone. A blade had swept through its neck and taken the head. Blood splattered upon my person. The body had fallen. And… my heart. It fell into my stomach. I dropped my sword. Air. Air was in my lungs. I could breathe. It was her. “Skyavia…”

 

An entire universe had been elevated from my shoulders. Out of everywhere in the known realm, she was here in the same forest as I. She had not been detained. If she had, then she had escaped. She was here, and that entailed my breathing. “I was searching for you… I was so afraid… that something happened to you… So afraid… but… you found me… You found me…” My voice was shaking and my eyes wear teary. I stood there, cherishing my ability to breathe. My arms and legs were numb and I could not remove my eyes from hers. There she stood with her long black curly hair. She stood silently, but she was smiling. She bore a smile from the moment I opened my mouth. “When they came, I took my sword and fled. I made way for Contortay, and I remained here, hiding among the trees, trying to survive. I thought about you, Viax. I could not stop hoping that you were able to find salvation and you have, and calling that a miracle would be an understatement. What happened with you?” she asked. I exhaled a laugh. It was a laugh from the warmth of my heart. She hoped for me. It was so sweet. So very sweet. “I eluded detection by hiding in my sanctum. It is an underground cavern of luminescent crystals. I can only regret not sharing my knowledge of it with you in the past. I went to your home and dug through its wreckage, trying to find you. When I was unsuccessful, my plan was to venture to Barkarion to seek counsel with the inhabitants for any information about the titans. I was dreading that you had been captured, so I was hoping someone would tell me where they brought their captives. I was intent on saving you. It has been the only thing on my mind.”

 

She looked as though a tear could descend from her face at any moment. I could not fathom my own gratitude us being together during this evil time. “I came to Barkarion and found no information. What I did find was horror. Something happened to the people there. I do not know if it has anything to do with the invaders or not. I had never seen anything like what I saw in that cursed place. I felt threatened, so I fled, and then I had a most unfortunate encounter with a rogue tyrant in Contortay. I cannot explain as why it was solitary. I have only ever seen them in legion, like a swarm of insects devouring everything in their path, and that was when they brought desolation to Rive. If you had not showed up, I could have met oblivion. I had never seen one of us take the life of one of them before. It was unimaginable. It relieves me to know that they are extinguishable, nevertheless. If you had never arrived and I managed to smite my foe, I would have continued my search to every corner of Elemientus. Skyavia, I cannot accurately convey my happiness to see you standing here before me, living and breathing. If I stumbled upon your corpse, my soul would not rest until I witnessed the eradication of these demonic reptiles. I never fully expressed to you the extent of how much you mean to me. And I was going to writhe in regret for not doing so until the end of my days if I learned of your death. Now I rectify my mistake. I want you by my side for the rest of my life. You and I should have been living under the same roof long ago. I cannot allow you to face the horrors of Elemientus alone. Our friendship is unbreakable, and it took until this dark hour for me to truly imagine the devastation I would suffer if I lost you,” I said. She smiled faintly, and she slowly approached, as my heart filled up with butterfly embers. Our lips and I were remarkably close. “You really mean that?” she asked.

 

Something felt wrong. The butterflies had died. A realization came to mind. I thought about Barkarion. What if something happened to her? Equeste bore a semblance of normality before his eyes turned pitch white. I wanted to believe there was no corruption in her mind. I wanted to believe there was purity, but how could I distinguish between corruption and purity when her eyes bore the same beauty as they always have? Embers. There were embers again. There was a firestorm of butterflies within me, because she had placed her lips upon mine. They were everything I dreamed of. The warmth and softness were infinite. She reignited the flame, and her purity has been proven. My eyes were closed, and I was weightless. I was amidst white clouds and sunlight unhindered. I indulged in her lips and held her so firmly. She dropped her sword. She was in my arms. I was hers. She saved me. Here we were, underneath the burgundy sky and the leafless branches of Contortay. We could be vanquished by a reptilian monstrosity at unawares while we tasted one another, but that would merely entail a happy death. She pulled away, and I opened my eyes, immediately seeing hers right there and feeling her gentle hand upon my cheek. “I love you… Thank you for searching for me… Now, we are going to survive this together,” she said. I pulled her in close and placed my chin upon her shoulder, closing my eyes once more and caressing her back. This was a moment of bliss, and I intended to treasure it. “Skyavia… my love for you knows no bounds, and we will survive this together. We may even find a means to end it. No matter what color the sky undertakes and no matter what dangers we are forced to face, if you are here with me, I shall never despair.”


© 2014 Bobby Madden


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

385 Views
Added on September 12, 2014
Last Updated on September 13, 2014
Tags: fantasy, horror, short story

Author

Bobby Madden
Bobby Madden

Manassas, VA



About
I play retro games on N64, SNES, and PSone. I drink coffee more than vampires drink blood. Let's be friends! more..

Writing
Smoke Smoke

A Poem by Bobby Madden