A Soldiers Tribute

A Soldiers Tribute

A Stage Play by ThePersona
"

Giving the news to the next of kin that a loved one has passed is never easy. What about when the next of kin... Is a child? Dedicated to: My father, who served 10 years active service with the USMC

"
Note: I am unable to bold so all direction will be in bracket just not in bold

(Curtain draws, Stabler stands military stance with head down center stage right, spotlight on him, all other stage lights down)

Stabler: (Reading from piece of paper) Mrs. Cowen, your husband was a brave man, he died protecting the liberties and freedom of this countries citizens, his sacrifice will be remembered. P.S. (Pause, close eyes, open eyes after pause and resume) He was my friend, my brother, and I will always remember him, his sacrifice, I will remember not his achievements as a soldier but as a kind and virtuous man. I'm sorry for your loss. Sgt. Stabler, United States Marine Corps. (Bring pad down)
(Lights come up, House positioned down stage left)
Stabler: (Walk down stage left to House and ring door bell)
(Door Opens)
Stabler: (Sorority Squat) (To a child) Hey! Is your mommy home? No? Do you know when she- what? Do I know your Daddy? I (Pause, demeanor and tone change) (Visibly in tears) I, I'll come back later. Tell your mommy I'll be coming! (Drop energy through the last word) Thanks.

(Curtain Closes, when curtain draws Stabler is seated across a table from Mrs. Cowen)

Mrs. Cowen: (Jarred) He, won't be coming home?
Stabler: (Seriously) No, I'm sorry, the USMC wanted me to deliver you this (Retrieves and unfolds paper from beginning and hands it to Mrs. Cowen)

(Stabler Exits)

Mrs. Cowen: (Sobs uncontrollably)
Little Girl: Mommy? What's wrong? Is daddy gonna be home soon?
Mrs. Cowen: (Still Sobbing) No sweetie, Daddy won't be coming home for a long time.
Little Girl: What do you mean? Is he OK?
Mrs Cowen: (Wiping tears) No sweetie, Daddy is, Daddy's dead.
Little Girl: Than why are you crying? Daddy, got promoted! We should celebrate!
Mrs Cowen: Promoted?
Little Girl: Yeah! He's now a soldier for Jesus! Jesus needs strong people like Daddy to protect him, just like we do!

(Curtain close, when curtain draws Mrs. Cowen looks down at a gravestone)

Mrs. Cowen: Sgt. Michael James Cowen. Looks like we have two Michael's to pray for now.

© 2014 ThePersona


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
great! the ending was very heartwarming, I find the innocence of the child and her positive energy gives us life to live and continue on because even in Death the child thought that his daddy will always watch her...

I find this piece really sad but sweet...
welcome to wc!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ThePersona

9 Years Ago

Thank you! And nice to be welcomed.
Pax

9 Years Ago

you are welcome!



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
great! the ending was very heartwarming, I find the innocence of the child and her positive energy gives us life to live and continue on because even in Death the child thought that his daddy will always watch her...

I find this piece really sad but sweet...
welcome to wc!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ThePersona

9 Years Ago

Thank you! And nice to be welcomed.
Pax

9 Years Ago

you are welcome!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 26, 2014
Last Updated on June 26, 2014
Tags: Monologue, Performance, Duet Scene, War, News, Father, Death, Sadness, religion

Author

ThePersona
ThePersona

Orlando, FL



About
Hello, I am Harper Cowen, I will almost always solely write fiction, though all my works deal with an aspect of my past or present, as such, some content will tend to be very triggering and upsetting .. more..

Writing
Note To Reader Note To Reader

A Chapter by ThePersona