Chapter Two - Andrew

Chapter Two - Andrew

A Chapter by Shelly Meyer
"

This chapter is from Andrew, the main hero of "The Letter".

"

Chapter Two �" Andrew



I sat on Sarah’s couch, rubbing her feet and watching her sleep. She was too beautiful for words, in my opinion. Not in the classic super-model way, but her heart and her soul were so open, despite her hard life and recent divorce.

I could see myself with her for a long time, if she’d let me. It didn’t even matter that she was seventeen years my senior, or that she was interested in another man. She was an amazing woman; so smart and funny. I would accept being her friend if that was all we were meant to be.

I felt the need to take care of her, to give her better than what she had. I looked around the room. She deserved better than this and I was going to make sure she got it.

I started thinking about the day in early January when my agent, Susan Rael, handed me Sarah’s letter. I had been so busy with premiers, auditions and press conferences. Susan usually sent out autographed pictures to my fans because I didn’t have time to do it anymore. That bothered me. Apparently she thought this particular letter was special.

“You have to read this letter, Andrew. This woman is just too much.” She handed me the two envelopes, one of which contained her picture. She was beautiful.

As I read the letter and looked at Sarah’s picture, I knew I had to contact her, one way or another. There was something about her. I wasn’t sure what it was, not just her beauty, but I knew I had to talk to her. Anyone who put this much effort into a simple request for an autographed picture had to be special.

“I have to meet her,” I told Susan.

“You’re kidding? She could be some psycho. I didn’t show you her letter for you to run off and get yourself hacked up by some loony old lady.”

“I doubt she’s a psycho. Besides, if she is, that will be my problem. If you don’t help me, I’ll go on my own.” I sat down across from her at her desk. “Are you going to help me or not?”

“I don’t think I can. I’m not going to help you with this. You’re insane.”

“Just do this for me, Susan. Please.”

She sighed, frustrated. I think she knew I would find a way to get to Denver on my own. “Fine. I’ll try to get you some kind of interview to promote “Silence”.”

“Thank you, Susan.” I smiled at her and left her office.

The next couple of weeks were really dragging for me. I was doing a few more press conferences with Karen Steele and Trevor Landers, my co-stars in “Two Hearts” and “One Life”. I was also acting in a couple of small venue productions and playing music on the weekends. I needed to pass the time. I was getting anxious to go to the states.

One cold Saturday I went home to my parent’s house. I hadn’t seen my mum in over a week. That was unlike me and I was feeling guilty about it.

“Andrew, it’s so good to see you,” my mum chirped when she saw me at the door.

“I’m sorry it’s been so long.”

She hugged me. “Come in. It’s freezing.” I followed her to the kitchen where my family spent a great deal of time when I was growing up. A lot of broken hearts were mended and quite a few punishments were doled out at this kitchen table.

“Would you like some tea,” she asked.

“That would be wonderful.” My tall, thin mother stood at the stove, diligently at work on the tea. My mother was such a strong woman. She was always firm, but fair. Any crisis that came along gave her more strength and the ability to handle anything. I couldn’t help but smile as I watched her. “Is dad at work?”

“Yes. He has been working so hard lately.” My father was a bank manager. With the global economic troubles, Andrew, Sr. was working extra hours to ensure that his branch stayed afloat.

“You know I suggested he retire? I can take care of the family now.”

“I know, dear, but your father is a proud man. Besides, he wouldn’t know what to do with himself if he didn’t work.” She brought the tea to the table and sat down next to me. “So, tell me, son, what has been going on with you?”

“I’ve been working, too. I’ve had some gigs. They have been going well. “Silence” begins filming next month. I’m planning a quick trip to the states in a couple of weeks.” I smiled at her.

“What is that all about?” She sipped her tea and glanced at me over her cup.

“Susan is getting me an interview to promote the new movie.”

“That’s wonderful.”

“And I met someone. Well, sort of.”

“Sort of?”

“I haven’t exactly met her yet. That’s part of the reason I’m going to Colorado.”

“Colorado?”

“Yes.”

“Who is this girl?”

I pulled Sarah’s picture from my coat pocket. I carried it with me all of the time. Then I handed her the letter.

“She’s very pretty,” she said, handing me the picture. She scanned the letter, chuckling. Then she frowned. “Forty? Andrew, I don’t know…”

“Mum, it’s not an issue.”

“Of course it is. I would like to have a grandchild someday.”

I sighed. “I didn’t say I was going to marry her. I just want to meet her.”

“My goodness, Andrew, she could be a crazy woman. I’d much rather see you with Karen.”

I laughed. “You sound like Susan.”

“She’s a smart woman.” My mother patted my hand.

“Mother, I love you, but I’ll be fine, honestly.”

“Alright. Enough of this.” She grinned at me. “You need a shave.”

“No, I don’t.”

“You’re scruffy. I don’t care for it.” She sipped her tea. “And your hair…”

I ran my fingers through my messy locks. “My hair is fine.”

“You need a cut, too.”

I rolled my eyes and looked at the clock on the wall. “I need to go. I’m playing at the Bellvue tonight.”

My mother walked me to the door. “Please be careful while you’re in the states.”

“I will, mum. I promise.” I kissed her cheek and gave her a hug. “I’ll call you before I leave.”

“Make sure you do.” She smiled sweetly at me and I got in my car and drove back to my flat in London’s East End.

It had been a long night. I had played my heart out, one acoustic love song after another. I couldn’t stop thinking about Sarah Miller. I wanted to meet her. I needed to meet her. It was taking too long for Susan to get me this interview.

The next morning, at six, Susan finally called to give me the good news. I would be interviewed on a popular Denver radio morning show the last Monday in January.

“You’re scheduled to promote “Silence” next Monday. You’ll be leaving Heathrow on Thursday evening. You’ll have an entire weekend with your psycho lady, as long as she doesn’t kill you first.”

“Would you stop? I’ll come by the office later to pick up my tickets. You’re a life saver.”

“I had to pull a lot of strings to get you this interview. Don’t make me regret it, Andrew.”

“You know that isn’t going to happen.”

“You need to be back here on Tuesday. You have a photo shoot Wednesday morning.”

“I know. I’m coming back. Honestly, Susan, you and my mother should get together and have tea.”

She laughed and hung up.

I tried to get back to sleep, but my head was racing. I was finally going to meet Sarah Miller; that intriguing woman who was making me anxious and impatient.

I couldn’t fall asleep so I showered and shaved; the shaving was a rarity for me. Around nine-thirty, I drove to Susan’s office. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on those plane tickets.

“I owe you, Susan,” I told her as she handed me the itinerary. I would arrive in Denver early Friday morning. A limo would pick me up at the airport. That wouldn’t work for me. I would be spotted immediately if I rode around in a limo. I frowned at her.

“What’s the matter now?”

“Could you cancel the limo? I would rather rent a car. I don’t want anyone to know I’m in town until I’m on the radio.”

“The d.j.’s are already talking about your interview. How do you plan on avoiding it?”

“No one has to know I’m there until I’m in the building.”

“Don’t you suppose Ms. Miller will tell everyone she knows that she has met the monstrously famous Andrew Collier?”

“I don’t think she’s like that. I really don’t believe she would do that.”

Susan let out an exasperated moan. “You don’t even know anything about her.”

“I have a feeling about her.”

“A feeling?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh, okay. That makes me feel so much better.” She shook her head and sighed. “Fine, Andrew, I’ll cancel the limo. You can attempt to sneak around a huge city like Denver until you get to the radio station.” She shook her head again. “I still don’t feel good about this.”

“You don’t have to.”

“What do they call male divas?”

“Charming,” I said with a smirk as I walked to the door. “Love you,” I called out as I left.

“Go home, Andrew.” I could hear her chuckling as I left the outer office.

Back at my flat, I looked over my itinerary again. I would be staying The Brown Palace Hotel. Very high class, and too conspicuous. Was Susan trying to get me noticed?

There was still winter weather in Denver, so I would need sweaters and wool trousers. I had less than a week to prepare for this trip, then only two and a half days with Sarah to make the same impression on her that she had made on me. I only hoped I could live up to her expectations. I wasn’t worried about her living up to mine. I was certain she would exceed them.

The week was dragging, but on Wednesday evening, I decided to pay a visit to my family before I left for the states.

My dad and sisters, Veronica and Laura, were there and we sat in the kitchen, as we often did, and had a nice, long chat.

My sisters had a lot to say about my trip to Colorado.

“I just cannot believe you’re flying all the way to the states to see some woman you’ve never met,” Veronica complained.

“Honestly, Andrew,” Laura began, “what do you even know about her?”

“I wish all of you would stop. I’m a grown man. I can take care of myself.”

“You’re Andrew Collier, not just some guy. There’s a difference,” Laura piped.

My father hardly said a word, but when he did, he made a lot of sense, but it was too late for me to change my mind. “Son, we realize you’re capable of taking care of yourself, but you are also famous. Please be careful. Don’t get emotionally attached to this woman.”

“I think I already am.”

“Good grief, Andrew,” Veronica said, already exasperated. “How is that even possible?”

“There is something about her. I can’t really explain it. You’ve all seen her picture and read her letter. Can’t any of you see that there is something special about her?”

“I don’t see it,” Laura said, looking at the picture again. “She’s forty years old. She’s almost old enough to be your mother.”

My mum cleared her throat.

“Sorry, mum.”

“I want you to promise me you’ll be careful, son,” my dad told me again. “Claudia, will you please bring me my address book? It’s on my desk in the study,” he asked my mum.

“You’re crazy, Andrew. I would never fly thousands of miles to meet up with some guy,” Veronica told me.

“I would hope not. I don’t think your husband would care for that very much,” Laura joked. We all laughed and the mood lightened a little.

My mother came back with my dad’s address book. He opened it and wrote a name and address on a piece of paper then pushed it across the table toward me.

“This is my friend, Lawrence, in Boulder, Colorado. Please give him a call if you need to,” my dad told me. “I’ll give him a ring and let him know you may be in contact.”

“Thank you, dad, but I’m staying in a hotel. Susan has planned my entire trip.”

“That’s good to hear,” my mum said, relieved.

“I’ll be alright. Really.” With that, I stood up and walked around the table to hug my mother. “I need to get going. I have to pack and get some sleep.”

Everyone followed me to the door and I hugged each of them individually.

“Call Lawrence if you find yourself in any trouble,” my dad told me again.

“I will,” I told him, then walked out to my car.


I couldn’t sleep. It was after one in the morning and I was wide awake. I had to go for a walk or something to burn off some energy. It wasn’t doing me any good just sitting in my dark flat with my mind racing the way it was.

It had begun to rain and I was sure it was below freezing, so I bundled up and headed out. I hadn’t planned a route; I just wanted to walk and made it several blocks before I realized I was cold.

I was on Durward Street and found myself in front of Bar Italia, a twenty-four hour café. I went inside and ordered a large mocha and sat down near the front so I could watch the misty rain and think.

I was thankful that it was the middle of the night. No one was on the street or in the café, so I could be alone and not have to worry about being hounded by the press or fans.

I looked up just then and saw my ex-girlfriend, Natalie Brennan, walk in. She didn’t see me until she was on her way out.

“Andrew,” she squealed, surprised to see me, and sat down at my table.

“Hello, Natalie. How have you been?” I hadn’t seen, or wanted to see her, in nearly a year.

“I’ve been spectacular. Thank you for asking.” She smiled and flipped her blonde hair off of her shoulder. “What are you doing out in public?”

I sighed. I didn’t want to talk to her. “It’s the middle of the night. I couldn’t sleep. I think I’m safe.”

“I just finished a photo shoot. I’m doing very well for myself.” She batted her long eyelashes over her deep blue eyes and showed me her flawless white smile.

“That’s wonderful.” I really didn’t care.

“I hear you’re doing well for yourself.”

“Yeah.”

“You sure aren’t very chatty.”

“I have a lot on my mind.” I just wished she would go away.

It had been a bad break up. Natalie had always been so full of herself. I could see that hadn’t changed.

Natalie had cheated on me and when I caught her with her lover, I lost it. We yelled, we cried, we yelled some more. She tried to blame me for her infidelity. She said it was because I was never around, but neither was she. Natalie was always traveling around the world on photo shoots. Her modeling career came before anything, including me and our relationship. I could have handled that, but not the cheating, so I threw her out and hadn’t seen her since, until that night in the café. I was annoyed that I even had to.

“I need to go,” I said and stood up. “It was nice to see you again. Goodbye, Natalie.”

“Andrew?”

I turned and glared at her. “What?”

“You’re still angry?”

“Not angry. More like annoyed.”

“Well, I thought since we ran into each other we could talk and maybe there would be a chance for…”

I sat back down and, through gritted teeth, growled, “not if you were the last woman on earth.”

She looked shocked and hurt. “But, why?”

“Aside from the fact that you’re a cheating w***e and I can’t stand you, I’m seeing someone.”

“Oh really? Who?”

“None of your business.” I stood up and walked to the door. “Goodbye.” I pulled my coat collar up and walked out into the freezing rain. I didn’t look back.

I gotten a few hours of sleep, and I was finding it difficult to fill my day before I had to leave. I packed my carry-on bag, took a shower, then called Susan around five thirty to let her know I would be leaving for the airport soon and to thank her again for doing this for me.

“Call me when you land in Denver,” she told me before we hung up.

“I will, and I promise, everything is going to be fine.”

“I hope so, Andrew. I honestly hope so. Do you want me to send you a car?”

“No, I’m going to get a taxi.”

“Alright. Have a safe trip.”

“Bye, Susan. Thanks again.” I hung up and watched the telly for another hour before I heard the cab driver honking out on the street, then I hurried downstairs with my bag.

I wasn’t given a second glance at Heathrow. There was no paparazzo waiting for me because no one knew I was leaving. I was safe from the cameras and flash bulbs and the hoards of fans who always seemed to know where I was every minute of the day.

After an hour of waiting at the gate, first class passengers were called and I got on the plane and found my seat. I wanted to sleep, but I still had a lot to think about. I wasn’t even paying attention to the flight attendant’s announcement of the emergency procedures. I had heard them a hundred times.

Once the plane was safely in the air, I reclined my seat and closed my eyes. My first order of business was to buy a very large, very aromatic bouquet of flowers. I would find a florist near Sarah’s office after I checked in at the hotel. I drifted off quickly and didn’t wake up until we were descending upon Denver International Airport twelve hours later.

Despite the busy terminal, I was able to remain inconspicuous as I went to the rental counter to rent my car. I was assigned a Ford Focus Hybrid. I picked up my bag and took a van to the rental lot and found my car. I could breathe easily again. I was afraid someone was going to recognize me in the swarm of travelers.

With the GPS, I found The Brown Palace Hotel quickly and easily. I parked in the underground car park and checked in. The cute blonde behind the concierge desk gave me only a small hint of recognition, but she never said a word. I could only assume she had met several celebrities and she was professional enough not to make a scene.

“Here’s your card key, Mr. Collier. You’ll be in room seven-oh-six. Have a wonderful stay with us,” the girl told me with a perky voice and lovely smile.

“Thank you,” I replied and took the elevator up to my room on the seventh floor.

I made my promised call to Susan, but cut it short because it was almost ten a.m. I didn’t have time to waste. I needed to find a florist and get to Sarah’s office.

I found a small family owned florist just a few blocks from the office called Cherry Blossoms.

The kindly middle aged woman running the shop most definitely did not recognize me.

“How may I help you,” she asked pleasantly.

“Good morning.” I smiled at her. “I need a big, beautiful bouquet.”

“What are you looking for?”

“The most fragrant flowers. I want my girlfriend to be intoxicated by the aroma.” This woman would never know that Sarah wasn’t my girlfriend.

“There are several in bloom this time of year,” she told me as she pulled a book from under the counter with pictures of January flowers I could choose.

By the time I left the shop, I had a beautiful crystal vase filled with Calla Lilies, Chrysanthemums, Freesia, Gardenias, Orchids, and, of course, White Roses. There were other flowers, but I couldn’t recall their names, and Baby’s Breath and other garnishments for filler. The arrangement was exquisite and the scents blending together took my breath away, just as Sarah had the first time I saw her picture. I hoped the bouquet did the same for her.

I checked the clock on the dashboard. It was eleven forty-five. I still had a few minutes to take in a few deep breaths and calm my nerves before I went inside.

Damn, but that vase was heavier than I thought.


There were two women behind the reception desk in the office where Sarah worked. One was older than the other and she was leaning on the desk next to the younger girl. They both looked up when I came in with the heavy vase. Both smiling and, I could have sworn, staring at me as if they knew me from somewhere.

“No way,” the younger girl said, her mouth agape.

The older woman tapped her lightly on the shoulder and cleared her throat. She never looked away. “May I help you?”

“Yes, I have a delivery for Sarah Miller and I must give these to her directly.”

“Of course,” the older woman said, still smiling, still staring. “I’ll go get her,” she backed up and disappeared behind the door.

The young girl behind the desk finally remembered herself and said, “can I get you something to drink?” Still, she kept her eyes on me.

It suddenly hit me. Had I made a mistake by coming to her place of business? Was it possible that my cover was blown? It was obvious these two women knew who I was.

Just then I heard the door open, so I stepped behind the bouquet I had placed on the receptionist’s desk. I saw Sarah walk out. She was beautiful. She saw the flowers and gasped. That was my cue to step out from my hiding spot. She saw me and her eyes widened. She looked as if she was going to be sick.

“Will you excuse me for a minute, please,” Sarah forced out, then ran out of the room through the door to her right. The two other women followed behind her.

I was left in the reception area alone, not sure what to do. Was this a bad sign? I shouldn’t have come. This was a mistake. But just as I was about to go, the older woman came back.

“Mr. Collier, would you follow me, please? Sarah would like to see you.”

“Certainly.” I gave her a quick smile and followed her. A very upset man crossed my path and looked at me with daggers in his eyes. If looks could kill, I would have been six feet under right then and there.

“Are you alright, Sarah,” I asked when I reached the door of what appeared to be the employee kitchen. She only nodded.

I picked up a dropped chair �" I could only assume it had been dropped by the guy who looked like he wanted to kill me �" and sat down next to her.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah.” She gave me a quick smile, so I smiled back. At that moment I felt the need to put my arms around her. I didn’t, but she looked so small and fragile to me just then. “What are you… I mean, how did you… um… why?” She had her head tilted, shock and confusion in her eyes.

“I needed to bring you the flowers.” I smiled and I could hear her breath catch in her throat. “I’ll tell you, this office was not easy to find. Thank God for GPS.” She looked up at me. The colour was beginning to return to her face. “And to answer your why… because your letter really caught me off guard, and your picture, well, I was incredibly intrigued by it. You’re more beautiful in person.”

“So are you,” she said with a quick laugh. She looked at the door just then. My eyes followed hers. We were being watched by her co-workers. They were standing at the door and when we looked at them, they all departed. “I, um, need some air. Do you mind?”

“Not at all.” I stood and helped her to her feet. She seemed a little unsteady.

We took the lift downstairs and I held the door for her.

We walked to a strip of grass on the other side of the lot and sat down, facing each other. “So, are you surprised,” I asked.

“That’s the understatement of the year.” She shook her head and smiled at me, but didn’t look at me directly. She began to play with the grass. “I’m just wondering…” I cocked my head, interested in what she had to say. She finally looked at me. “Why are you here?”

“I told you. Your letter intrigued me. I had to meet the woman who wrote it.” I took her hands in mine. It felt as if she was shaking.

“Disappointed,” she asked.

“Hardly. You’re actually more than I expected. What about me?”

“Are you kidding,” she chuckled. “Remember, I said, ‘you’re beautiful, inside and out.’?”

“Yes, but pictures don’t always do a person justice. Yours didn’t.”

“Neither do yours.” She grinned at me and shook her head. “I feel like an idiot.”

“Why?”

“I’m forty years old. You’re twenty-four. What was I thinking? Jeez, what were you thinking by coming here?”

“Are you sorry,” I asked. I had no concern for the age difference between us.

“Not at all. Don’t get me wrong, but I honestly didn’t even expect the pictures. I hoped, but I definitely never expected to be sitting here with you, having an actual conversation. This is the kind of thing girls dream about, but it never actually happens, you know.”

“Well, I, for one, am ecstatic to be here. I’m glad I came, Sarah.” I stood up and pulled her to her feet. I looked in her eyes. She looked nervous.

“I’m glad, too.”

“I had better get you back to work.” She gave me a playful pout and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“Where are you staying?”

“The Brown Palace, downtown,” I told her. “Do you know it?”

“Everyone knows the Brown Palace.”

“How far is it from your house?”

“Twenty minutes, when there’s no traffic.”

“That won’t do.” Too far. I had to think about this. Perhaps the hotel across the street from her office building would be closer.

“Well, my house is a piece of crap, but…” She stopped, concern on her beautiful face.

“What?”

“I was going to ask you if you wanted to stay at my place while you’re here, but I’m too embarrassed by it. You’re used to big houses and luxury hotel suites.”

“Sarah,” I began with a chuckle, “I lived in a pop-up trailer while we were filming “Two Hearts” and “One Life”.”

“That may be, but my place is falling apart. It’s… gross.” She wrinkled her nose and I tapped it softly. I felt a bit of a spark when I did.

“Fine… would you like to stay with me while you’re here?” She was reluctant to agree, but finally gave in.

“Yes, I would.” I smiled and put my arm around her shoulder. That spark again. What was that? It didn’t matter. I liked it, so I squeezed her shoulder as we walked back toward the building.

“So, I’ll see you later,” she asked once we were back upstairs in front of her office.

“Of course. I’m going to check out of the hotel and have some lunch, then I’ll meet you here later and follow you home.” I had already confirmed that she left work at five o’clock.

“Okay.” She looked down at her feet. Why wouldn’t she look at me?

I was inches from her. “Hey,” I whispered.

“Yeah.” She looked at me and I bent down and kissed her very softly. That wonderful shock had suddenly turned into a current of electricity.

“You okay,” I asked when our lips parted. I wasn’t entirely sure I was.

“More than okay.” She grinned at me and I began to walk backward toward the lift. We watched each other until the doors closed in front of me. I took a deep breath and when the doors opened and I was near the front of the building, I heard her say goodbye to me. I looked up and smiled at her, then walked out.

Was she feeling what I was feeling, I though as I started the car and pulled out of the lot. Did she feel the sparks, too? That was all I could think about as I drove along the highway toward the hotel.

I did not want to screw this up. I didn’t want to push her or scare her away. Sarah Miller was an absolutely amazing woman. I intended to spend the next two days showing her just how special I thought she was.


I hadn’t even unpacked my bag so when I got to the hotel, I took a shower, grabbed something quick to eat at the bar, then checked out of my room.

“Were our accommodations unsatisfactory, Mr. Collier,” the girl behind the desk asked when I told her I was checking out early.

“Oh, no. A friend of mine offered to let me stay with her.”

The girl looked deflated when I said “her”, but she remained professional and said, “thank you for staying with us.”

“Thank you,” I grinned at her and headed for my rented Focus, dialing Susan as I walked. She would not be happy with this, but I needed to let her know there would be a credit on her agency account. I honestly didn’t care if my staying with Sarah pissed her off. I was doing what my heart was telling me to do.

“You’re doing what,” Susan shouted into the phone. I knew that would be her reaction.

“You heard me. Listen, I didn’t call to fight with you about it, I just wanted to let you know about the credit.”

“Andrew, I swear to Almighty God. You’ve gone absolutely insane.”

“Crazy would be the correct term.” I was sitting in the car with the engine running.

“Beyond crazy. You’re risking your career, Andrew. You can’t even imagine what will happen if the press gets wind of this.” She was still shouting.

“Susan, I’m crazy about her.” Just saying that out loud made my heart race. I was crazy about her already, but I couldn’t explain why.”

“No! No! NO!”

“I’ll be fine, Susan. I have to go.”

“Andrew, I’m not kidding. I…” That was the last word I heard because I had hung up on her and drove out of the car park.


The highway was already congested when I got on it. The cars were nearly at a stand-still and I was afraid I wouldn’t make it back to Sarah’s office before she left. She might think I had decided not to come and just go home. I could find her house. After all, I had GPS, and her address. I called the office. I hated using the phone while I was driving, but this was an emergency. I let the receptionist know I was in heavy traffic and to let Sarah know.

“Please ask her not to leave if I’m not there. I will be there.”

“I’ll let her know, Mr. Collier.”

Now the traffic had stopped completely and the woman in the car to my left was staring at me. I was sure she recognized me. I saw her shake her head in disbelief, then look back at me. I smiled in her direction.

The cars were moving so slowly, but I finally reached my exit and quickly, but within the speed limit, made my way around the corner to Sarah’s office building. I had several minutes to spare, and I made my way upstairs to her office. I suddenly recalled that I hadn’t seen many people coming and going during my earlier visit. It seemed odd, being lunch hour. I supposed that luck had been on my side.

I went inside to wait for Sarah. The receptionist, who I quickly learned was Kelly, again asked me if I wanted something to drink. I politely declined.

“She’s really sweet,” Kelly told me.

“She is,” I agreed.

“She has been through a lot.” Kelly sighed. She closed down her work station as she spoke. “She’s coming out of a bad divorce, and then there’s that business with Chris.”

“I’m sorry?” I was confused, but she couldn’t finish. Sarah opened the door and stepped out. I couldn’t help but smile at her. “Are you ready,” I asked her.

“Yes.” She walked to the vase to carry it out.

“Let me take those for you.” She held the door for me. “Have a good weekend, Kelly,” I called as Sarah guided me out the door.

“You, too,” she called out.

“Are you sure you want to see my crappy house,” Sarah asked as she guided me to the lift.

“It can’t be that bad.”

“You’ll see. It’s not too late to run away.”

“I’m not running away,” I chuckled and followed her to the car.

“Do you need a ride or do you have a car?” I could tell she was immediately sorry for asking that question, so I just gave her a quick answer.

“I rented a car. I’ll follow you.”

“Good plan. This way you can get away quickly.” I watched her put the flowers on the floor of her car.

“Would you quit?” I grinned and shook my head. It really couldn’t be as bad as she was making it out to be.

I walked to my rented Focus and followed her to her house.

It didn’t take long to get there, even with the excess of rush hour traffic, but in the short drive, I did have time to ponder that last statement Kelly made about Chris. I could only guess Chris was the man who gave me the evil eye this morning. I had to ask Sarah what was going on with him.

I parked my Focus behind Sarah’s Saturn in her driveway and went around to help her with the vase. “Are you ready to see my meager living arrangements,” she asked, only half joking, I was sure.

“Absolutely.” I smiled and took the vase from her and followed her up the porch steps. She opened the door and let me go in first so I could set the vase down.

“Well, this is it.” She waved her arm in a semi-circle in front of her. She had left the door open. “You’re free to run now.”

I walked toward her, slowly, smiling, then pushed the door closed with my hand. “Shh.” I leaned down and kissed her softly, the way I had earlier. The electricity raced through me again and I wondered if you felt it, too. “Now, are you going to give me a tour or do I have to get nosy on my own?”

“Uh, yeah. Sure.” I held her hand as she led me from one room to another. “Well, this is my living room, obviously. A couch, chair, television. The basics. I have cable, of course.”

I smiled at her. “Of course,” I said. Her sarcasm was going to grow on me. I looked around and noticed that only half of her room had hardwood flooring installed. This concerned me. “Why does only half of your living room floor have wood installed?”

“My ex husband thought getting drunk was more important than making this place livable.” She sounded embarrassed by having to explain this to me. “Funny thing is, he was a carpenter.” She gave a short laugh.

“We’ll have to fix this.” I looked up and noticed a lovely fireplace on the back wall. I loved it. “You have a beautiful fireplace, though. I wouldn’t change a thing there.”

“Wonderful,” she told me sarcastically and crossed her arms over her chest. “Anyway, to the left is my computer room. This is where I spend most of my time on the weekend.”

“Not this weekend, I hope?”

“No. Of course not.”

“What’s with the seventies linoleum floor? This has to go.”

She rolled her eyes at me and guided me toward the bedroom. “This is my bedroom, which I never use. The master bath doesn’t work, so I use it for storage. The rest of the wood for the floor is in there.”

“And no flooring or carpet in here, either?” I was getting more and more sad for her. “Sarah, you can’t live here like this.”

She showed me the other two bedrooms and the bathroom. I couldn’t help but critique everything. I didn’t want to hurt her feelings, but I knew she could not live in this house with it in such disrepair. I had to help her, especially when she told me about her broken furnace and leaky roof. She told me Chris was bringing a part this weekend to fix the furnace. It was then that I realized that people cared for her and she deserved it and needed it. It also made me wonder if she and Chris were an item. Maybe that’s what Kelly had been talking about.

We sat together on the couch and I had to ask. “Are you and this Chris fellow dating?”

“I don’t really know what we’re doing, to tell you the truth. We’ve been really good friends for a long time, then yesterday, all of a sudden he…” She didn’t finish, but I understood.

I nodded. “I ask because you’ve mentioned him several times.”

“I didn’t realize… I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I don’t want to intrude if you two have something going on.” I wouldn’t intrude, but the idea of not being able to be with her made me a little sad.

“I don’t know what we have. We haven’t even been alone for anything more serious than a kiss to happen.”

“Do you want something to happen?”

“Yes… and no. I mean, he kind of freaked out when you showed up. The jealousy thing bothers me a little. When I told him you were staying here this weekend, he really blew it. He thought you and I were planning to…” She chuckled.

“If he’s not comfortable with this…” She stopped me.

“He’ll be fine.” She put her hand on my knee, then quickly removed it. I could feel the spark of her touch in the brief moment and wished she hadn’t pulled away. “I explained it to him. It’s fine, really.” She looked at me and smiled.

I smiled back at her. “Good.” I caressed her face with my fingertips. I couldn’t help myself. I knew I wanted to be with this woman. I was falling for her already. What an odd feeling this was.

For the next few hours Sarah and I talked and got to know one another. I told her about my life growing up, about my family and my music. I explained to her the reasons I became an actor. As much as being constantly in the spotlight made me nervous, I really wanted to explore different avenues of the entertainment industry and how, when “Two Hearts” became such an enormous hit, I found myself hiding out as much as possible when I wasn’t working. It was getting harder and harder to do because my face had become so recognizable. I ebbed her concerns about the rumours of Karen and me. We were only friends. Sarah looked happy to hear that.

Sarah told me about her childhood, as well. It sounded so lonely. Her parents didn’t seem to encourage her to pursue her dreams. All she ever wanted to do was write. The only people who seemed to push her were her English teachers. She told me that when she turned fifteen she found an after school job just so she could have some kind of life. As she got older, her priorities had to change. She moved in with her aunt, hoping she could go to college to become a journalist, but she met a man she thought she was in love with. They had a child together; her daughter, Nina. Nina’s father cheated on Sarah over and over again, so she left him and she and her daughter and aunt moved from California, where she grew up, to Colorado, where she had been living for nearly twenty years.

She had one failed relationship after another, never finding true happiness. She said she felt as if her aunt was even discouraging her from bettering herself when she decided to go to college, so at her first opportunity, out of spite, she married the first guy who showed her any interest. She had a child with him, her son, Michael, whom she was no longer able to see because his father was an abusive control freak whom, she believed, had brainwashed and manipulated her son.

She told me she didn’t get to finish college in Colorado, but when her son was born, she went back to California with both of her children to try to start her life over. It didn’t work and she was forced to come back to Colorado.

Again, she had several more failed relationships, until she met her current ex-husband. He seemed so honest and attentive and loving to her, until they moved into this house, then everything changed. She said she believed there was so much dark energy here and it took them both over. She started working at her current job and he quit working altogether and stayed home all day getting drunk. He wouldn’t do anything around the house to fix it and she couldn’t take it anymore, so she kicked him out.

Here she was now, living on her own, paying her own way, and getting better. She had good friends at work, but not really much of a life outside of that. I was going to make sure that changed.

After hearing her story, I just wanted to hold her and let her cry if she needed to. I didn’t care how long it took; I was going to do my best to heal this woman. She needed me and I believed I needed her, too.

I was attracted to her more after this than I had been when I first saw her beautiful face in her picture.


Some time around nine o’clock we both agreed we were starving.

“What are you hungry for,’ she asked me.

I gave her the proverbial eyebrow raise and smiled at her with mock seduction. I needed to lighten the mood. Our conversation had been so intense.

“Quit.” She giggled and pushed me.

“I’m teasing,” I told her. “How does pizza sound?”

“Sounds good to me.” She got on the phone and ordered a large pepperoni and some cola, then got some money out of her purse. She honestly thought she was going to have to pay.

“My treat.” I smiled at her and patted the couch next to me. “Come, sit down.” She looked a little scared.

“Is something wrong?”

“No. Not at all,” I assured her, but I could tell she was holding her breath. I took her hands in mine and kissed her palms. I didn’t really know what possessed me to do that. I only knew I needed to be near her and touch her. “I’m really enjoying myself with you. I’m honoured that you’ve allowed me to stay with you.” I could see her breathe again, but I didn’t think she was convinced I wasn’t going to run.

“I’m glad you agreed.” She gave me a tiny, unsure smile.

“I so badly want to be your friend, a good friend, maybe even best friend.” I didn’t want to push a relationship on her. “You’re such a wonderful person, Sarah. I feel terrible that you’ve had such a long run of bad luck. I want to change that for you. I want to make it better for you.” I looked around the room, then sighed. I felt almost helpless for her, but I knew I could help her. “I look at this place and I want to fix it. All of it.”

She tried to protest, but with a finger to her soft lips, I stopped her. “Shh. Let me finish, please.” She agreed and was quiet. She was watching me with sad, grateful eyes. She wanted to protest, but there would be no winning for her. “You can’t live here like this anymore. So much around here needs to be fixed and I want to be the one to do that for you.”

“No,” she told me sharply. “I can’t let you do that.” Her tone softened. “I could never afford to pay you back.”

“I’m not asking you to. I don’t want you to.”

“Please don’t spend any money on me, please. You hardly know me. Why would you…”

I cut her off. “I want to know you. I want to spend this weekend getting to know you better. I want to continue getting to know you long after this weekend.”

“I do, too, but I still can’t let you spend thousands of dollars on me or my house. I can’t give you anything in return.”

“You already have. Don’t you see that? Your friendship is all the payback I need, or want, for that matter.”

The pizza arrived, and I decided to let this conversation go for the time being. I was really here to get to know my new friend and I was happy with that.

“I have a radio interview on Monday morning to promote the new movie. We’re going to start filming “Silence” next month.”

“This whole thing must be so overwhelming for you. I can’t imagine how you’re dealing with this sudden fame.”

“It’s crazy, really. I hide out a lot.” I laughed. “I never expected it to be this big.”

“I’ll tell you, I’ve read the books and saw “Two Hearts” and “One Life” at the midnight openings. It was actually a present for my daughter, but I’m the one who became obsessed.

“I was going to ask you how you’re able to get around town without being mobbed.”

I leaned in close to her and said, “No one knows I’m here. Shh.” I grinned at her and she smiled, too. I was growing to love her smile.

“The whole city will before the weekend is over. Kelly will announce it to everyone on her social network.” Sarah frowned at that thought. “She means well, but still.”

“It’s alright, really.” I patted her knee, then stood and went to the kitchen to get another slice of pizza.

I caught her looking at me. I didn’t mind. I was watching her, too; twirling her hair around her finger.

“Sorry.” Her eyes were wide and she looked to be blushing.

My mouth was filled with pizza. “No,” I said, heading back to the couch to get a drink of cola. “It’s fine. I like it, actually.”

“You have teenage girls chasing you and screaming your name all of the time. I’m sure you’re sick of it.”

“They aren’t you.” I smiled at her and leaned close to her and kissed her quickly. She was blushing again. “Does that bother you?”

“Not at all. I just keep wondering.”

“What?”

“Well, why? I mean, I know you told me why, but, really, why? You’ve seen me, you’re sitting with me in my run-down house, you’ve talked to me for hours, but you aren’t running away.”

“Why would I want to? You’re amazing. You’re funny and smart and beautiful. I’m thoroughly enjoying all of it.” I truly was.

“Really?”

“Really,” I assured her.

“And you aren’t disgusted?”

“Not in the least.” I took her hands in mine. “Stop this now, alright? I’m having fun with you. I want to continue to have fun with you.”

“Okay. I’m done.”

I knew she would continue to worry about it. “Good,” I told her, then kissed her softly. I kept my lips on hers for some time. They were warm and soft and I could feel the electricity welling in me. When we finally pulled away from each other, I could feel my heart beating quickly in my chest. I had to take a couple of deep breaths to slow it down.

“So, what do you have planned for tomorrow,” she finally asked after a long silence. “I mean, it’s not like you can go to many public places without being spotted and mobbed.”

“I’ve gotten used to that. I’m open to whatever you have planned.”

“Hmm.” She thought for a moment. “I have to got to Wal-Mart™ and get some groceries, but you don’t want to go there.” She laughed to herself.

“I want to go with you.”

“You really don’t. Have you ever been to a Wal-Mart™? It’s crowded and obnoxious for normal people. I don’t even want to imagine what’s going to happen if a celebrity showed up, especially you.”

“I want to go with you,” I insisted. I felt like a child begging his mother for something just before having a tantrum.

She laughed, but gave in. “It’s your funeral, buddy.”

“I’ll risk it. As long as you stay by my side.”

“Do you really think I’d leave you to the wolves?” We both laughed and I was sure I could trust her.


It was after one in the morning when Sarah announced she was getting tired and went to change. She came back in sweat pants and a baggy t-shirt. She looked sexy.

“We should probably get some sleep. I don’t do very well with little sleep.”

“Do you mind if I stay up and watch the telly for a while?” She grinned and shook her head.

“I don’t mind at all,” she told me as she closed her eyes.

I watched her as she nestled under the blanket beside me. Her face finally looked calm and at peace. She was even more beautiful to me at that moment.

I pulled her legs up on my lap and started rubbing her feet. Her eyes shot open then. I didn’t even realize I had been smiling. “Too much?”

“No way. It feels great.” She smiled at me, then closed her eyes again.

Here I was, in Colorado, the United States, thousands of miles from home, not a care in the world. I watched Sarah sleep, the corners of her mouth turned up. It was nice to see. I was falling for her, but there was no logical explanation for it. I hardly knew her, but I felt as if I had known her for years.

As I watched her sleep, I knew what I wanted. I wanted Sarah Miller and I intended to make her world a better place, no matter what I needed to do.

When I was certain she was in a deep sleep, I went into the bedroom to put on my pajama bottoms and a clean t-shirt. She had told me I could sleep in her bed, but I wanted to stay close to her. I slipped in behind her on the couch and she stirred. I put my arms around her and held her hand. I kissed her head and closed my eyes and fell asleep.



© 2012 Shelly Meyer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow! I absolutely love that there is the two sided story telling! I was really excited to see what you would come up with for CHAPTER 2, but i never would have imagined this. I love how the reader (me) gets to see all of the beautiful thoughts and emotions running through the characters minds. This was really outstanding and I loved how it had the whole story of why he was going to meet her and all the doubts and unapproved things that the had to go through. I really enjoyed reading this and Andrew is soooooo cute with his British accent and SEXY body. it helps he is outstandingly charming and fun. My favorite part was that he was kissing all over her because she was irresistible! A great read! Well done once again.
-Courage

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow...what a romance. Sarah comes from being a broken woman to a sexy moma. She did nothing fancy other than being herself. Her self esteem taken away due to a divorce. She now has to choose between two men. I love the flow of the story. It's very detailed. It takes you on a very smooth ride with subtle surprises. I like how one chapter gives her perception on meeting Andrew and the next chapter give his perspective on the same meeting. Love at first sight vs the Crush that had finally come to llight.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

the story is amazingly amazing you better keep writing because i love it. i love seeing the story from both perspectives keep it up

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow! I absolutely love that there is the two sided story telling! I was really excited to see what you would come up with for CHAPTER 2, but i never would have imagined this. I love how the reader (me) gets to see all of the beautiful thoughts and emotions running through the characters minds. This was really outstanding and I loved how it had the whole story of why he was going to meet her and all the doubts and unapproved things that the had to go through. I really enjoyed reading this and Andrew is soooooo cute with his British accent and SEXY body. it helps he is outstandingly charming and fun. My favorite part was that he was kissing all over her because she was irresistible! A great read! Well done once again.
-Courage

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 12, 2012
Last Updated on June 12, 2012
Tags: novel, book, author, writer, romance, love, relationships


Author

Shelly Meyer
Shelly Meyer

Denver, CO



About
I am a published author with two novels published, "The Letter" and "Portland Authority". I am currently writing the sequel to "The Letter", entitled, "Yours, Truly". I work full time as an article/bl.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..