Falling into Place

Falling into Place

A Chapter by The Silent Deviant
"

Chapter 3 of Book 1: Exploring the Stars...

"

As much as I love running... a 5 mile run is a little exhausting. So I have slowed my pace down to a walk for now. I'm about halfway there, still eager as hell.


Hey, SAIL.”


My watch flickered on in response.


Do you need assistance?”


There's one thing I've wanted to know out of curiosity. I just remembered that it piqued my curiosity back when he scanned the place.


Did you manage to get collect any data on the creatures here?”


There was a pause. I'm pretty positive the delays between question and answer is SAIL checking on information. Maybe he's a little slow since that data is stored on the ship or something. I have no idea how the hell this thing works, so don't ask me.


There are 3 species of local fauna on the entire planet. They are known as a Gleap, a Nutmidge, and the Poptop.”


I don't know what it was about that last one, but it sounds like some kind of fictional creature. Almost like it won a contest for best monster or some awful equivalent.


SAIL had popped something up on my HUD, which basically is some kind of holographic display system that only I can see. Feels just like a videogame, really.


The window SAIL showed me was documented information about the 3 species.


The Gleap, was something I definitely recognize. It's kind of like a leaping slug thing. You probably think it's gross because I said slug, but it's oddly cute. I've had to defend myself from a few of them.


Next is the Nutmidge, also something familiar. These things were always really friggan' goofy to me. So as it turns out, they group up and reside in a... shell of sorts. Bust the shell and there are usually about 3 or 4 of these jumpy b******s trying to make your day difficult. They kinda look like a Gleap except instead of orange they're an eggshell white.


Then finally, that Poptop. See, I've never seen this thing before. It looks preeeeeeetty adorable also. It's apparently the most deadly thing on this planet, according to SAIL. It also sings to itself! Which is soooooooooo damn cute!!!


It was at this point where SAIL had interrupted my thought process by popping up with a new alert.


Destination is approximately 500 meters away from your current position.”


Upon hearing that, I looked around and could see a structure in the distance. Admittedly... it was not at all what I was expecting. In the long run of things however, I like it more that way. All the more fun and spontaneous.


There was a large archway on this structure. It resembled a doorway. The object itself was fairly large, but very flat. It seemed almost like... steps. Very low to the ground and gradual steps leading to its center, which had a console or something in the middle.


SAIL, what is that?”


After a moment or 2, he came online with a response for me.


The most sensible conclusion would be a gate of some sort. It shows faint energy signals that most likely have died out over time.”


This excited me.


You mean like a warp gate?!”


That is my best assumption, I will scan the object to confirm since we are within a close enough range now.”


I let him do his thing while I did mine.


We were now close enough to explore, and that elated me more than you can even begin to understand. I started with the ground itself, the bricks themselves seemed fairly new actually. Beyond that, there isn't too much of importance I can derive here. Next, the center console. Remember that my eyes are pretty sharp. I can see things better and from further out than your average person. Call it a “racial trait” if we're keeping the videogame shtick going.


The console did not respond to any of the input I did. The button did not work, nor does it seem to show anything of interest.


This disheartened me a little. I had expected this discovery to be fruitful, perhaps leading me to my goal of being able to explore beyond the boundaries of just this solar system. Instead I get a busted warp gate that brings me right back to square one.


As if SAIL is queuing himself in on purpose, he chimed in at the perfect moment.


This structure is certainly a warp somewhere, however the weak signals insinuate that it has lost power, but can be refueled to work again.”


I'm starting to really love my lab partner here.


Well that's a god damn relief! I thought all was lost for a moment.”


After a couple of robotic blips and chirps, he continued.


The gate will not work with just any fuel, however. It requires a very specific crystal that can luckily be found in large abundance on just about any planet.”


Which is.....?”, I teased with a pinch of sarcasm.


It would require about 20 units of core fragments to get this machine operational again.”


Core fragments? As in... the planet's friggan' core?! If so, does he have any damn clue how big a PLANET is? How would I even go about getting something like this?!


How in the world am I supposed to reach the core of the planet, SAIL?!”


My calculations tell me that would be unnecessary.”


Huh..? Explain.”


There was a brief pause for more calculation.


I am detecting a small, concentrated amount of core fragments in a nearby area, just beneath the surface of the planet. I am assuming a mineshaft of sorts.”


There must be either some kind of interstellar god on my side that is giving me an EXTRA helping of good luck today, or I have just become the protagonist of a new story for the amusement of other people. The pieces are falling into place almost too perfectly for me now. Either way, I can't drop my quest now. If the universe is going to work with me here and help me to get off of this rock, then I will damn well accept that beautiful kindness.


SAIL, would you be a doll and mark the location for me?”


I have already taken the liberty to do so, I was simply waiting for confirmation”


The stars themselves are aligning. They are just waiting for my arrival now.


Bring it on!


******************************************************************************



© 2018 The Silent Deviant


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on June 9, 2018
Last Updated on June 9, 2018
Tags: starbound, alternate, universe, story, space, adventure, travel, games


Author

The Silent Deviant
The Silent Deviant

About
Not much to say right here, I could spend hours talking about a simple topic. To keep it brief I'm a laid back guy that is generally really hard to upset. more..

Writing