The Obligation

The Obligation

A Story by Just Some Dreamer

“Ok. Here we are.” Ms. Ruby said, as her car ambled up the long driveway.

 

We both sat in the car for a moment, holding our breath, taking in the grand house that stood before us. Everywhere we turned seas of perfectly kept grass greeted us and tall vines slithered up the artfully weathered brick home, overgrown but classy. The estate was isolated, but not lonely. A small barn was in the distance near roaming horses and cows, and a beautiful greenish blue lake sparkled underneath the 8:00 o’ clock sun. Ms. Ruby had said I would be an only child in this house, but plenty of other people seemed to be scattered about the property, tending to the horses and keeping the colossal rose bushes near the door controlled.

 

“Well, let’s go on in.” Ms. Ruby said, snapping me from my gaze.

 

We reached the mahogany door where Ms. Ruby knocked twice. Seconds later, a man with dark black hair and light blue, eyes shining with excitement, opened the door.

 

“Hi,” he said, stringing the word out longer than normal, and shaking Ms. Ruby’s hand, “It’s nice to see you again.” This time, that was directed to both of us, which was odd sense I’d never met him. “I’m Bryce,” he said to me, shaking my hand, “and Jessica’s down the hall, she hasn’t been feeling to well lately.”

 

I nodded and smiled awkwardly. Every foster home was different. However, this one was particularly different. All my foster families had been packed with screaming children in a tiny apartment. I was obviously their first. I hated this part of the process. We had to awkwardly get to know each other, in one evening, then act as if we’d known each other for a lifetime.  That’s thing about foster homes, nothing is ever natural, unless you’ve been with a family for over 2 years. I was constantly switching, so everything was always uncomfortable. It was like being a guest in someone’s home. You had to shyly ask for food or if you wanted to watch TV, and stuff like that, that wouldn’t happen in a real family. From what I could tell, these people were well off, so I could be staying for a while. I wondered how long as we followed Bryce into the kitchen.

 

“So Scarlett,” Bryce began very enthusiastically, “You can put your stuff up in your room while Ms. Ruby and I finish up on some paperwork. Third door on your right.”

 

            I just nodded and shouldered my duffle bag. I would have to get used to Bryce’s bubbly personality. I trudged about the gleaming stairs and banged my way into the 3rd room releasing my duffle bag onto the floor in a huff. Despite my new-family annoyance, I was utterly pleased with my room, after all, I usually didn’t get my own. It was very white, with a hug fluffy bed and a mountain of pillows. The walls were dusted a soft yellow, playing up the sunrays that were dancing lightly across the cream-colored shag rug, but I was most pleased by the windows. They were very long with black trim nestled within comfortable looking window seats, the perfect reading nooks. They overlooked a beautiful apple orchard. The trees were tall with dark wood, and the leaves, a crisp green. Hidden within the branches were tiny green apples that would be ready to eat by fall. This house was amazing like something out of a movie. My eyes were glued to the light blue canvas of sky accenting the rolling green hills in the distant. I could almost reach the thin, cottony clouds that skimmed the old fashion roof. I absolutely adored this place. I wanted to reach out and grab hold of a piece and never let go. Cherish it and never forget it. Hopefully I wouldn’t have to save it as a memory, just like my other homes. Just as I crossed the room, voices sounded from below.

 

            “Thank you so much, Mr. Jackson.” Ms. Ruby said earnestly.

 

            “Please, I should be thanking you, Dianne. We’ve wanted this for a long time.” Bryce replied. “Is there anything I should know before you go?”

 

            “Well,” Ms. Ruby started reluctantly, “Scarlett’s at a fragile place. She’s been through so much for someone her age, so many different homes. She hasn’t had time to figure out who she is. She’s been pushed aside too many times. She needs to be somewhere stable.”

 

            “I see.” Bryce said slowly. “She’ll be cared for here.”

 

            “That’s wonderful to hear.” Ms. Ruby said as if she was on the verge of tears. Which confused me, because I barely knew her.

 

            Bryce showed her out, waving at her car until she was out of sight. She didn’t even say goodbye. That stung a bit. Bryce shut the door with a long, exhausted breath. Just then a happy scream rose from somewhere below. I jumped so violently, that I lost my footing, plopping down on the stairs.

 

            “Jessica!” Bryce called in a panic.

 

            Jessica appeared around the corner, dressed in a black tracksuit, her cheeks flushed with pleasure.

 

            “I’m pregnant.” She breathed.

 

            For a moment there was dead silence as the news washed over Bryce. It drowned me, threatening to pull me under into it’s dark waves of reality and taunt me with their happiness, as the devil would dance the dance of jealousy upon my back. I struggled for breath for a moment. Their excited exclaims filled the house, bouncing off the wall startling me. Suddenly I felt sick and small and unimportant. Their shouts of joys sounded like the crying kids I’d dealt with, the drunk men that had slapped me, and the yelling mother’s that had filled my days, and the screams of abandoned kids like me. The world moved in a thickness and a slowness that was all too familiar.  My throat tightened in panic, obstructing my breath. My palms began to sweat as I gripped the smooth handle rail on the stairs for the support no one had ever given me. It came in flashes, flashes of being removed from homes, from running away, from being left behind and pushed aside. I couldn’t take it anymore. I couldn’t take being just another mouth to feed, just another obligation.

 

            I shakily pulled the sleeves of my itchy jacket upward and stared at my left arm. I slowly turned my arm over and stared at the pink ridges intertwined with my blue veins and fair skin. I ran my fingers over them, one for each house. My last house stuck out higher than rest, being the worst and freshest wound. My breathing wasn’t fast anymore more, but too slow. Tears slipped down my hollow cheeks, like tiny crystal droplets, like the glass that gave me these wounds. My hands were white, cold as ice. My vision and sense a judgment, hazy, a little blurred.

 

“What about Scarlett?” Bryce asked abruptly and tensely. A surge of affection for Bryce spiraled through me.

 

            “What about her?” Jessica replied, still breathless.

 

            “Will she be alright about this?” Bryce wondered out loud. He seemed worried.

 

            “Oh, I don’t know. I don’t think we have to worry about that right now. We’ll figure it out in the morning.” Jessica soothed, anxious for her husband to celebrate with her again.

 

            “Don’t have to worry about that…” echoed in my head, as well as “We’ll figure it out…” as if it I was a problem to be solved, a situation to be taken care of, dust to brushed under the rug. The words seem to be stuck in my mind, lurking in the corners, sucking up the happiness I’d once had over their beautiful home. The words remained as I slipped into the darkness of the orchard, never to return.

 

 

© 2013 Just Some Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow!!! Great job!!! So sad and terrible, honest and raw. Very well written and portrayed. The terrible truths within this are haunting.
Mr. P won't know what hit him.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
1 Review
Added on January 13, 2013
Last Updated on January 13, 2013