Hexed

Hexed

A Story by GlacialStars
"

A deaf boy sees an enchantress one night and falls in love with her. But is all of this really real or did he just imagine it all.

"

Chapter I:

She extended her hand in glee and content, studying the lines of her palm. She smiled at the light she saw gleaming from it. With a swift movement she turned around with both her hands extended and with her eyes closed. She felt a rush flow through her arms and jolt in her fingertips. Concentration was key and the raindrops falling around her didn’t seem to bother her much at all. She sighed and took deep breaths. She flashed her eyes open and cupped her hands to catch the water, whispering what seemed to be an incantation.


“Water turns to snow

When in my hands I blow

The cold from my heart

Freezes this water in the dark”


She blew softly in the water and the raindrops around her seemed to fall down slower, her golden hair blew in harmony with her breath. The water felt cold in her hand until it suddenly froze. The rain was still falling on the cold surface until the frost speeded up on the other drops of water turning the water into small snowflakes.


She sat down and glowed again. Everything suddenly went back to normal as if she’d just absorbed all the cold. She stood up, completely pale and breathless. She lost all the green in her eyes and it turned white. She found back her colors when she touched the ground, leaking all the energy on the pavement that instantly froze its wet surface. She turned around without warning and I sneaked in closer to see better. I was in complete awe! She just froze water! And then all of a sudden whoosh! Everything is as if nothing happened. She turned in a corner of the street and strangely there was no one around. No pedestrian…No cars…Nada…Squat! 


Distracted by the thought I almost forgot about the girl I was “discreetly” spying on.

A gust of wind coming from the alley blew in my face, blinding me for a second. It had a foreign smell, one I never smelled in the city before, like a smell of flowers with a bit of spice to it, it was mystical…Like essence!


I peeked in the alley she went into and I saw nothing… She was gone. Darn my lack of concentration and focus! All that was left now was this strange…This strange…Um what the heck is this!? It’s some sort of oval shaped transparent nut? I shoved it in my pocket and started searching for her. I looked all over for her as if I owned her or something, I actually ran all over the place. Now I’m here, like an idiot, exhausted, resting on my bed, wandering what the heck I just saw.


Hallucination?

No.

Dream?

Heck no! I was awake for sure.

Alien?

Way too cute to be.

Witch?

Well she certainly put a spell on me.


I held the object I found in the alley and placed it in the moonlight, checking for some sort of authenticity. I started thinking about her again.

She had silky silver hair and she wore a green dress that really complimented her light green eyes. Everything about her was magical but she looked so normal. Well not really…The girl is the most mysterious being I ever laid my eyes on…Or at least I think I saw her… Unless she was just a figment of my imagination. No I could have never imagined something that beautiful. Wait! I wouldn't even believe this if I didn't see it! So pretty but yet so powerful.  Just remembering her sent shivers through my body.


I should probably go to bed though. School shouldn't exist…Maybe one day a giant cockroach would walk on the school and destroy it completely…If witches existed then why wouldn't giant space roaches exist too. I wonder what she’s doing now…Maybe making potions or doing more amazing stuff.

His eyelids started getting heavy as he yawned, he covered himself with a warm quilt and let himself fall asleep. Nursing himself with the sounds of her voice.

The sun beamed on his face, waking him up instantly. His vivid blue eyes flashed open as he got up, he stretched and yawned. Getting up slowly, he looked outside, admiring the sunrise. The sun’s rays danced inside the room as the wind made the curtains flutter.


 The birds sang in harmony as other small ones resigned to simple chirping. All of nature played a sort of song to him, a soft and melodious tune that only he could hear. He sat on the balcony and shut his eyes while he breathed in a gust of cool morning air that brushed against his olive tanned skin. No sound of people chattering, no machines or grinding of metal at the construction site at the end of his street…Just pure-and wonderful silence. He looked at his clock just on the wall behind him 6:29 am and 55 seconds. 56…57…58…59…A loud horn blew and a huge truck passed, at the same time every day. He sighed and sat back in disgust.


The smell of warm pancakes intruded in his usual dawn symphony although the truck took half the blame. He distinguished the fragrance of maple syrup and blueberries. The boy smiled, surprised by the strange foreign smell. His mother doesn’t usually wake at this hour.


I rushed down the stairs barely dressed, clothed with just merely my blue and white boxers and a white shirt. I didn’t bother slipping something on, it didn’t matter really and it isn’t the first time I came out like this.

 I snuck into the kitchen and expected to see mom but instead I saw Drew beating batter inside a bowl with a whisk. My eyes widened and my mouth practically dropped to the floor, I couldn’t believe my eyes. Drew…Cooking? Impossible! I pated his shoulder to make sure it was him and he turned to me with a smile, grinning at my confused face.


-Morning Hunt, he said as he turned back to his business. Slept well?

How the heck did he get in here! I look around for some sort of proof of his infraction but nothing…I answered back to his greeting and asked him what he was doing in my house and more importantly how did he get in?


-Your brother let me in as he left off. I just came in to see you and he invited me in and then he left. I got bored and I was hungry so I decided to make a friendly meal for us both! Cool huh?


I looked at him skeptically. What kind of lame excuse is that? Breakfast for both of us…Pfft! Yea right! No way would he have come all this way to cook a “friendly meal”. There must have been something more to this, a reason to this act of kindness.


-I hope you don’t mind though. I invented Kimberly.


I knew it! This must be the “reason”. I looked at him in disapproval. My mother never really minded when my friends were over. As long as they didn’t make any noise, she’s a woman found of her sleep. Drew looked at me and his eyes begged for an answer, he slipped a plate of warm and fluffy pancakes underneath my nose…That snake! He’s blackmailing me! Fine! I’ll fall into temptation, I don’t have much to lose anyway. I nodded and he did his usual malicious victory dance.


 Oh how I hate when he does that….He placed the plate of pancakes on the table. Though the smell of defeat never smelled this good. As I was about to sit Kimberly slipped into the open door of the kitchen and I froze. I was in my underwear…And there was a girl standing right there, examining me from head to toe….How dreadfully embarrassing. I helplessly stood there at the mercy of her stare. Drew broke the awkward moment.


-Good morning Kimberly! What’s up? He smiled at her direction and she slowly shattered the visual contact between us by slightly tilting her head to look at him.


-Fine thanks! So what’s cooking chef.


-Everything but me. I’m already hot, he winked as he sent a flirtatious smile. She rolled her eyes and looked quickly back at me. When she finally took her gaze off of me I run upstairs as quickly as I could to get dressed. Call it cowardice if you wish but I wanted to save the bit of dignity I had left.


Great! Now Kimberly saw me in my underwear…Ain’t that delightful. Great way to start a day Hunter… I thought as I came back down the stairs. I held my bag as I stepped into the kitchen while bursts of laughter caught my attention. They came from the porch. I had a cool pair of khakis and my new green shirt on so I was ready to take on any sort of joke or probably any sort of insult that they would have thrown at me. When the laughs grew stronger I thought as I turned on my heels. Woah buddy! Hold on! Pancakes first!


 I walked joyfully into the kitchen following a rhythm to then come to a complete stop as I noticed empty plates on the counter. I paused. He wouldn’t have…Nah he couldn’t have…Of course he did! That jerk tricked me! He must have eaten all the pancakes…And Kimberly must have helped him, a wave of disappointment washed over my face.

I walked outside and noticed them laughing on the porch with remains of the pancakes in their syrup-smeared napkins. I sighed and tried to keep a smile as I didn’t want to murder Drew in front of our guest. But that doesn’t mean I can’t send glares at him. I mean who actually does that? What sort of monster proposes pancakes then takes it away…That’s just cold. Inhumane. That’s just Drew…

I sat near the bench and stared elsewhere, leaving my mind drift off into the depths of my imagination. I began thinking about all sorts of things. Really absurd things actually, never thought that my imagination was so prolific. There was a scorching heat on my palm, I peeked at my hand and saw a slim light dot aggressing my skin with harsh fervor. I scrutinized the ray of sunshine, letting it dance on my bare skin. I squinted as the sun blinded me with its multiple rays as I looked up. I noticed that they sneaked through the leaves of the trees, I thought to myself then: What was light?  A source of energy? Or was it an energy absorbent taking warmth from its surroundings and transfusing it into a focused area? Making us pitifully believe that it’s from there that warmth comes from. We believe anything that is said don’t we?

 Could it be that it’s actually darkness that enables us to see and that darkness was actually scattered energy? Scattered warmth? And that light is just the focus of that warmth?  Because without darkness we wouldn’t see light would we? Darkness isn’t dark at all nor is it cold! It’s just our eyes that see it that way. Just as void isn’t the absence of matter but actually the fact that matter is under a different form. A form we don’t recognize, a form that is there but our hands cannot reach into it. It’s like our minds…We cannot feel it but we know it’s there although we can reach into it…It’s present…What if void was the same way… that within void there is a parallel world that can only be channeled by certain energies. It’s all in the eyes of the beholder actually. Just as reality is a mirage forged by men, basing your life on reality when reality itself isn’t real. I could be cold, empty and not very bright but in another person’s appraisal I can be the opposite of all those things. Now that I think of it humans are really the most…

“Hey Hunter! Are you coming buddy?”

I turned my attention quickly over to Drew. How did he get over there! I stepped down quickly and joined them as quickly as I could. Autumn leaves were already submitted to the rude irony of the season’s synonym “fall” as the leaves fell freely due to the disastrous effect of gravity. They fluttered down, helpless to the force that dragged them down below and condemned them to an existence of being step on by everyone. How can you be so high and then fall so low, it’s sad how once they touched the sky and now they just fill the floor with orange to red shades of crimson and velvet.

 

I followed silently behind as Drew and Kimberly chatted, completely forgetting my presence. I was just a mere accessory. For someone as myself, who always seemed to be in the shadows because no one really listens… Because no one really cares. It is a bit depressing to realize that once your friend leaves you feel alone again, that when they found somebody else to speak too, they dropped you as if you were a used tissue. They blew their noses into you and sneezed all their waste and notorious substances into you then they just hop on to another. At least I have my thoughts to keep me company. Why in the world am I talking like this anyway I took a deep breath and managed a rather sincere smile.

My smile was wiped off my face when I noticed some oval transparent bead on the floor. Isn’t that the thing I found in…Yes! How could I have even forgotten?! Come to think of it, it is a bit strange that I forgot about it. How did it get there? Wasn’t it in my room? I picked it up.

Suddenly, I felt it…A frigid but heartwarming sensation that lead me to a state of mesmerism. It was a soft and gentle feel, something had stepped into my soul and caressed my heart with its swift brushes, it stroked my insides and led me to stop and gasp for breath.  Everything around me morphed, the oranges trees became blurry and took strange shapes, the world seemed to be spinning quickly around me all I could do is hold my breath and close my eyes.

“Hunter”

My eyes opened widely at the sound of the hypnotic voice. Shivers ran across my spine. I could have done is take my hand away as quickly as possible. Did it just speak? That voice…It was familiar.

 The feeling came in and left instantly, I couldn’t make out what I felt…All I heard were long and distant echoes.

 I felt my hand moving on its own, it had somewhat of a gravitational pull to the object, my fingers shacked and trembled as they approached it. Certainly afraid of the upcoming emotions that could be reanimated by touching it once more. I touched it with the tip of my finger as if it were a hot stove and pulled away quickly like I was afraid of getting burned. It did feel like fire, warm, gentle yet frightening and aggressive.

Sadly nothing happened this time, could it have been a coincidence…Too bad coincidences don’t exist.

Drew and Kimberly went on and they didn’t really notice that I was behind. I grabbed the bead or whatever it was and shoved it in my pocket while I ran to catch them up once again. While I ran I felt something strange. Someone just brushed against me… I think. My pace slowed instantly, I smelled something and it was familiar too. Then I saw a shadow past, like a silver gleam…It was probably just light that was reflected into my eyes.

“The red velvet leaves

As bright as they come”

The whisper echoed behind me and I froze. What was that!? I looked back quickly and saw nothing. Thinking I just imagined it I kept on walking.

“Begs and pleads

For one more bath in the sun”

This time I felt someone’s breath behind my ears, I swallowed my saliva and exhaled the air that was being kept in my lungs, I stayed still once again.

 “But the sun refused them as they were too old

And in their face, their freedom so sadly sold”

 The words were so beautifully said and it scared me. Who was doing this, whispering rhymes into my ear? I can’t be just imagining this whole thing…Unless… Am I growing mad!?

“Forced to rest on the frozen soil

Rejected like water rejects oil”

I attempted to turn around slowly one more time. But now I was a little more worried about what sort of creep I’d find behind me.

I held my book closely to my body as an unconscious gesture, like it could have protected me from an imminent danger. I was flushed with fear while my heart beat at an amazing rate. I finally turned completely and opened my eyes to see absolutely nothing behind me, I turned back around in confusion as I sighed in relief, my eyes closed while I tried to steady my breath, wondering what came over me. I opened them up and my heart skipped a beat…I dropped the book and my jaw dropped with it. I stood paralyzed and my face was struck with petrification.

This can’t be happening…

Impossible…

It was her.

-Ashlin… She said softly. I muttered a small gasp as she spoke then I tilted my head in confusion, wondering what sort of gibberish she was stammering. I backed away slowly as I thought she was trying to curse me with some sort of funny incantation in an ancient forgotten language. I quickened my pace with both my eyes on her to make sure she wouldn’t do any sudden movements.

-That’s my name! My name is Ashlin.

She reassured. I stopped and she walked closer with a sort of grace. She probably read the puzzlement on my face. I nodded nervously. Why did she just tell me her name? What should I say? What should I do?

She grinned at me with a small and welcoming smile.

-No worries, I don’t usually eat blonds. I just sacrifice them in my cauldron to an upper God. As blonds can be horrible for my teeth.

 She sent me a mischievous smile and all I could do is peek at where Drew was, hoping that I could catch his attention or even run towards him. I then noticed that he was gone and as was everything else.

 I didn’t notice until now but the roads were deserted. They were empty, there wasn’t a single sound… just like that night. All I could do was smell and there was that aroma, that fragrance. I could smell practically everything. The maple trees, the flowers, the grass. It was rendering me to enchantment. There was no one to call. No one to save me, no one to run too…At that time I was alone once again. I was near death herself and I couldn’t do anything to get away from her. My heart beat and I lost control of my legs…Of my arms…Of my whole body. It’s like I was paralyzed. Her stare was intense and deadly. I felt like I could lose consciousness at any given moment, my heart was pounding out of my chest and my breath rate was quick and immoderate. I attempted to hold my breath so that I could regain full control of my body but then my vision became blurry. She stepped closer to me and my heart exploded and restarted beating again. I didn’t even take the time to think anymore.

I ran.

As fast as I could without looking back, panic struck me and filled me with adrenaline. I ran faster than I thought I could ever. My legs burned and ached as I found myself running on a grassy hill. I ran up trying to beat the wind’s speed. The silence around me left me to be startled by my own heavy breath and noisy footsteps. I started slowing down as I got to the hill’s tip. Feeling safe enough I decided to look back to see if she was still following me. I saw a dark figure rushing towards me and I fell back in astonishment. Unable to run anymore I felt helpless to any sort of attack. I looked around nervously, scanning the area for any escape options. Is there any way I could ever get away?

The figure came closer…and closer then it shrunk…It was only a leaf…

I sighed and took a deep breath. I think I finally lost her. A gust of wind blew in my face without warning and a flash of blue light blinded me temporally. As I opened my eyes, she was standing there, with the most life threatening smile I ever saw. I gasped and fell on my back. She jumped on me and held my wrist, holding me to the ground with supernatural strength. I was trapped. I squirmed, tossed and turned to try to free my wrists, I fought with great determination as I let my survival instincts take over.

-Can you stop kicking me? It hurts.

I looked at her, bewildered. I am fighting for my life and she is complaining about her pain?

-I was kidding though, she smiled. What kind of monster do you take me for? You boys are so gullible.

My eyes widened.

-Witches don’t eat people…She added, shaking her head.

So she is a witch! Wait…She was kidding this whole time?! I analyzed her expression and she looked serious about it, she giggled and approached her face to mine, continuously smiling and letting out small and short laughs. I scoffed a bit and realized how ridiculous I was. I felt a bit ashamed of overacting like that. I glanced up at her green eyes and I noticed something different about her. Her hair wasn’t silver, it was ginger now. She had red silky hair that caressed my cheek as she was over me. Her head blocked out the sun, giving her a sort of halo of light over her head. Her hair glowed and she looked like an angel, her freckles complimented her pale and smooth complexion and her perfect denture made it pleasing to see her smile. I laid amazed, she was so beautiful. Her cheeks were a bit rosy and her eyes sparkled and shun, I could feel her breath on my face. After a few seconds, she stood up.

-I like you, you’re pretty funny. We should meet again sometime eh? She said as she dusted the grass off her dress.

I sat up and observed her as I lifted an eyebrow. What does she mean by that? Is she leaving?

I shrugged and she nodded.

-Okay then. She smiled. Peace!

 

-Dude! Wake up you slacker! We’re here.

I rubbed my eyes and yawned a bit.

-What did you do last night? Looks like you didn’t get any sleep.

I sat there confused as I heard the school bell ring and saw everyone swarming out of the bus.

I was at school? Wasn’t I just…? Did she…?

What the heck?!

“Hunt…You know you’re acting really strange today…” He got up, throwing his bag on his back. I looked out the widow with widened eyes just trying to familiarize with the abrupt change. Suddenly Hunter stopped and turned to me, I shifted my eyes quickly to him. He stared at me for a while and added.

“Stranger than usually...” He walked off and I took my bag quickly from off my seat and hurried to get off the bus. The bus driver seemed kind off upset so I didn’t even bother saying goodbye or thanking him as I usually do. I ran down the steps and realized Kimberly wasn’t around. Where did she go anyway?      

Ha-ha! Did she ditch him?

I smiled and laid my hand on Drew’s shoulder. He looked at me and as a response I shook my head with a mocking smile. He snickered and pushed me away lightly.

“Shut up! I know exactly what you are thinking”

I looked at him with awe. Did he really know what I was thinking? I asked him if he was sure or if he could really read minds.

“Nah but I can understand what that was for and just so you know she didn’t ditch me. She just goes to another school. Wouldn’t it be weird if she went to this one?”

I sighed and gave him a look of frustration. Ah Drew…You say the dumbest things sometimes. How do you expect her to be at an all-boys school? I walked up the stairs and I felt a gust of cold air blow in my face. I froze suddenly and grabbed my forearms, trying to warm up. Drew stopped and looked at me from the stair above.

“Yeah…Wrong day to have worn only a shirt right?”

I glared at him and he raised his hands as someone would when somebody points a gun at them.

“Hey I was just saying!” He smiled.

 Drew is such an idiot. Well not really I’m the idiot here.  Its fall what did I expect… summer sun and blazing heat? Well…Drew is still an idiot though. I ran in as fast as I could and found the familiar, dull and obtuse white walls of my school with a dozen of guys shouting and yelling on the top of their lungs. It was Monday and I swore that they must have gone deaf during the weekend. They scream so loud, if they weren’t deaf well soon I’d be. I should be used to this by now but I’m not. This is why at recess, me and Drew go somewhere a little isolated, away from all noises and disturbances uttered by theses wild animals the school dares to call alumni. Well you would say that I’m a part of them but I’m not…For obvious reasons. I slipped myself into the door frame where three to four boys tried squeezing themselves in like a bunch of brainless fools. Some people say it’s the joy of being young and careless but sometimes I ask myself….Really? Is this how I’m supposed to be? I can’t help but feel nervous though even if I am around fools they still are very intimidating.

 I was in a new class this term and I didn’t know anyone. It was always difficult for me to make new friends. Thank goodness Drew is in my class for another term, I sat near the window like I always do and looked outside. It was beautiful scenery, like every year. I observed the class for a while to check for any new faces and there were a few out of twenty that I knew by merely seeing them around and others that are completely unknown to me. As there was nothing much going on, but the teacher giving the basic rules we heard every year, I decided to gaze at the view outside.

 Was it…Snowing?

I saw tiny snowflakes sprinkle down on the bare grass as the sun shun on their blades. I smiled and to my amazement I noticed the snow falling harder and harder until it was almost impossible to see. I wined a bit when I realized that I was probably going to die because of the cold today…It was really a bad day to wear summer clothes.

 I heard the teacher speak louder as he was trying to calm the students down. They were so fascinated by the snow that they stopped paying attention and piled up near the windows. I’m glad they didn’t step near mine. I continued to look out as I tried to ignore the noise when suddenly I couldn’t hear it anymore…At all. I couldn’t hear anything, just echoes of the thoughts in my minds. All the noise ceased instantly and I turned to check if anyone was still around.

 No one.

I looked out and saw someone out there with a white dress and silver hair. What is a girl doing around here? There are no girl schools around. I looked closer, cupping my hands on the window to see further. The glass of the window was already foggy because of the cold and as the girl stepped closer the fog disappeared slowly until I saw a red figure coming nearer…Ashlin?

She gave me a creepy hello grin as she waved enthusiastically at me. I waved back and she drew on the glass.

“Hi!”

I drew back underneath her message.

“What are you doing here?”

She shrugged at me and she mouthed.

“I wanted to cheese you again..?”

I looked at her as I lifted an eyebrow and drew back on the glass.

“Cheese?”

She laughed and mouthed “No! Silly” then she drew.

“See!” she smiled again as I hit my forehead with my palm. She laughed a bit more as she shook her head in disbelief. Wow she is adorable when she laughs. I blushed a bit…I admit…When I understood what she meant. Why would she want to see me again anyway? I was spelling out the question.

“W-H-…”

“Hunter Risdon?” I heard the teacher call followed by a pat on the back by Drew who sat right behind me. I woke up and reacted quickly.

I lifted my hand before the teacher could call my name again. I didn’t want to get him angry. I sat still as I noticed him studying me over the smooth rim of his glasses, sending me one of the most intimidating glares. I swallowed my saliva slowly as the tension rose and released my breath as he passed on to the next name. Drew passed me a paper message. “What’s up with you buddy? You ok?” I wrote my answer into it and slid it on his table.

 “I don’t even know myself...”

I looked back at Drew and he gave me a quizzical look. Should I tell him exactly what’s happening? Of course there’s always the old issue of being seen as crazy. Though Drew is my best friend and he has been for a long time. Keeping secrets would be like putting our friendship in question. We told each other everything and we would be able to do anything for each other while adding a bit of brotherly violence into it of course. I stared at Drew and scrutinized him, he looked back at me with those big brown eye, he usually used those when he wanted something. I kept an eye lock on him, as if I was searching in his eyes for answers to my own questions. I sighed and looked away. I can’t tell him this…Not now anyway. He sent me another paper.

“If it’s a secret, you know I can keep it”

I turned to him again and he gave me a reassuring nod. I smiled back at him. Ok maybe I will.

“Okay! Mister Risdon, you’re next”

Wait? What? Next for what?!

I turned to Drew and he pointed to the board. I looked and it read Present yourself. Gosh, I don’t want to do this. I sat still without moving as I shook my head at the teacher.

“No..? “ He said softly. I could feel the hostility in his voice as he crept closer to me. I could feel myself sinking into the chair as he got closer. Why do I always bring these things on myself?

“Something you’ll have to learn Mister Risdon…” My heart popped into my throat with that sentence. He carefully took off his glasses and looked at me with his huge overgrown eyes. I lost my soul into the two dark pools of void that sucked me into full attention.

 “If you just happen to be randomly picked in this class, you are asked…No! You are obligated to get up immediately without any sort of second thought or premeditation. But if, for some strange and absolutely idiotic reason, you even think or even dare to refuse my proposal.” He laughed hysterically for a short time, a laugh so cold and so dry that it made me sink deeper into my pants.

“You’ll be suspended by yours truly then destiny will catch up to you and you’ll end up on the streets and most definitely unemployed. You’ll be starving until your fate finally condemns you to your tragic end.” With every word he got closer, closer and closer. I swore I could have broken down at any minute. He was crushing my walls of my dignity with nuclear bombs that just struck harder with every blow. Then as if he wanted to finish with prestige he smile and asked:

  “Understood?” I nodded slowly and he smiled once again as he ran back in front of the board.

“Your class mate decided to volunteer! Give him a clap” All the boys clapped as if they were controlled by a greater power. They were robotic in their movements. I guess they were as shocked and scared as I was. I was certainly not going to contradict this man again. I got up and stood in front of the class. I took deep breath and I stared speaking. Through my speech I became more fluent and passionate about what I was speaking about. I spoke about my love for writing and how I loved nature more than anything but mostly how music inspired me to keep on writing.

I spoke for about five minutes and noticed the eyes of my classmates. They were as wide as saucers. I stopped suddenly. Was it something I said? Was I boring them? After a few seconds someone shouted out.

“The idiot can’t even speak!”

Laughter flowed in the room and all of my classmates mocked me and pointed fingers. I stood up there and I slowly curled into a ball. I couldn’t believe it…It wasn’t something I said…It was something I didn’t say. I blacked out and felt a pressure in my chest. Tears flooded out my eyes. How stupid…I was crying.

“Aww is the wee baby going to cry?”

My tears rushed in quicker, I couldn’t control it anymore. They were flowing out on their own. Maybe I am a baby. I lowered my head in shame as I stayed there like an idiot in front of a dozen of boys that made fun of me for my inability to speak.  I looked over at the teacher. At least he wasn’t laughing. I relied on him now. Was he going to help me? Or was he going to defend them?

“Ok…Ok! That’s enough boys, quit it.” He shouted.

I guess he’s helping me. Maybe he isn’t that bad after all.

 “Go back to your seat son.” He said softly as he tapped my shoulder.

I walked towards my desk while the other kids still laughed and threw papers at me. I just took my hits and kept in the pain…Like I was a martyr.

All my life I was just everyone’s garbage bin. That bright light that could never go out, that bottomless pit that could never overflow but I think this time…This time; my greatest fear…I will have to face. My heart who’s been taking in so much will just one day implode and that one day I wouldn’t be able to control myself as well as I am today. I sat in my seat and breathed deeply, collapsing on my desk.

“You ok Hunt?”

I didn’t answer. I kept my head down on my desk as I whimpered on it. It’s only been a few minutes in this class and I earned the title of the class’s loser. I felt bad about ignoring Drew but I couldn’t find courage to answer him. Not to be mocked once again because of my dumb signs. Silent sobs escaped my lips. For once I gained everyone’s attention, for once…I was being noticed and this happened.

“Come on Hunt…Don’t listen to them. Don’t let it get to you.”

I sighed and lifted my head up. He was right.

I signed “Thanks Drew, you’re a really friend”.  He signed back at me “You are…” He gave it thought and then resumed “You are too”. He looked at me skeptically. I guess he wanted to know if I understood. I smiled and shook my head.  “You are getting better at this. Before you signed like a foot!”  I sent him a smile and he punched me playfully on my arm.

“Shut up you!” He laughed.

I punched him back and answered. “It’s true and you know it.” He responded with a shrug and looked at the teacher. He was giving us a speech on the importance of self-respect. I kept looking at Drew. He always seemed to make things better. I turned around and opened my book to start taking notes. I just realized how lucky I was to have him. I don’t have any other friend who knows sign language. He is the only one who understood my silence and who actually cared about the things I said…Or maybe the things I don’t say. I grinned a bit. I wonder what I’d sound like if I had a voice.

The school bell rung and swung me out of my thoughts. Everyone grabbed their things and swarmed out of the class. While I got my things together some dude threw my books on the floor. What the heck?!

I glared at him as he walked away. People are so stupid at times.

“Hey! That’s not cool dude” Drew yelled.

The guy just left the room without a word and gave Drew a haughty smile as he stepped out. Drew picked up my fallen pencils and added.

“What a jerk”

I nodded and thanked him.

“No problem”

We spent a rather cool day at school. Not much happened, just doing to usual thing that was done at school on the first day. So we didn’t have much homework to do but we did have some projects to prepare. The sun seemed like it was about to set and the snow seemed to have disappeared. I stepped down the stairs with Drew and he brutally grabbed my arm. I turned my head in astonishment. He pulled me away in a corner.

“Ah sorry about that, I needed to talk to you without everyone hearing.”

I freed my arm and rubbed it slowly. “You know you could have just whispered it to me.”

“True. I didn’t think about that. Well anyway I have to go to the doctor for a rash problem” He lowered his head in embarrassment “It started…Spreading”.

I couldn’t help but grin. I tried hiding it with my hand but he had already seen it.

“Stop smiling! It’s not funny. Glad to know you’re not upset”

I shook my head as a response. He smiled and waved goodbye. I was next to the school and there was a sort of gloomy alley. This could be a short cut. It doesn’t seem too dangerous. It’s near a school so bandits can’t really hang around here.

I heard thunder so I quickened my pace. I didn’t want to get wet by the rain. My mother would freak out. As I made a turn, I bumped into a guy. “Sorry”. I signed. As I realized who it was and how they looked at me I started backing away.

“What’s your problem bumping into me like that!”

“What’s up Ryan why you shouting for?” A guy sitting there said.

 There were about 5 of them and I recognized them all. They are the guys from my class. They were the ones who laughed at me. 

“This booger slammed into me a while ago” He looked at me closely and laughed. “Fellas! It’s that dumb kid from our social studies class! Where is your boyfriend punk!?” He shoved me to the ground. “He’s so weak. I think we can play around with this one”

“Come on man. Leave him alone” One of them said.

I crawled away slowly. At this moment I was dead afraid. What was he going to do to me?

“Nah! I don’t think so.”

He pulled me up from my collar and my feet were literally off the ground. Ok at this point I nearly peed in my pants.  This guy was surprisingly strong. He lifted his fist and I shut my eyes quickly, bracing myself for the blow.

“ Ha-ha look how afraid he is! This is going to be easy” He smiled as he threw me back on the floor.

My back feel on the hard concrete floor and the only sound that was emitted was a thud and a crack that came from my side. I grew red with pain. Gosh that hurt. I squinted in pain before I noticed a foot aimed right at my face.

Slam.

The kick hit my face so hard that I spun slightly on the ground. I held my nose that was already bleeding a bit.

“Come on guys! Join me” He said mercilessly.

Before I came to my sense more kicks were hitting me, each blow harder than the others. I couldn’t even think anymore. My mind was blurred from all the pain that was being inflicted by the many blows. The sound of them hitting into me was the most painful. It sounded like someone was beating a sack of potatoes with a bat. I was being hit from every angle. I rolled myself in a fetal position to protect my face but it was too late. It was already beaten very badly. I was being brutally hit in my stomach and I started coughing out blood. Drops of water fell on my cheeks and temporally soothed the pain. I shivered at the cold feeling when I felt more drops fall harder.

It was raining.

“Hey!  It’s pouring guys! Let’s get out of here”

“Yea I think he got enough for tonight” He kicked me again on my back. My whole body was so numb I felt nothing.

 I heard footsteps and laughing becoming more and more distant. The pain was starting to grow as I felt my muscles tensing up. I cried and sobbed as the feeling of loneliness, hurt and shame kicked in. I felt helpless. I laid on the cold wet ground as the rain fell harshly, it slowly filled the street with water. I spat out the water and I felt like I was drowning. I was drowned with the shame…with guilt…I was worthless. I was paralyzed. I didn’t get up and I wasn’t even thinking about getting up…I stayed there at destiny’s mercy.

 

 

My tears stopped and I opened my eyes...What was I doing? No! No more crying. Blood rushed into my brain instantly. The feelings of sadness, hurt and shame disappeared. I felt anger. My fists closed and I regained the control over my aching body but I felt like emotionally I was losing it. It wasn’t my fault if I couldn’t speak... It’s not my fault that I am mute!

 Rage was so hard to control in these sorts of situations, time stopped and seconds dripped slowly in the glass of time. All I saw was frozen images of people laughing, mocking and pointing. My brain sent images of all those painful moments. Oh it was just a matter of time. I’m not going to stay silent and say nothing. I’m not going to let people do whatever they want with me. Not anymore, not this time. All my life I’ve been blamed for my handicap but today…Oh yes today. They are going to feel the pain I felt all these years, they are going to suffer the hurt and rejection, they are going to see what their own blood looked like. Images and schemes intruded into my mind. I couldn’t even recognize myself at this point. I was officially losing it.

“Hunter! Stop it! What’s wrong with you?”

Ashlin…?

The alley was gone and I didn’t feel pain anymore but I stood up proudly. The whole room was dark and she slipped in with worried eyes.  She seemed different though, she glowed brightly and she had a halo around her body. It was the only source of light in the room… She was the only light in the room. She reached out to me but I was held my stance and I looked at her as rage paralyzed me and held me prisoner just as my pain did. It was like my pain fed my anger and made me feel stronger than ever.

What was happening to me? Ashlin tried to step closer but she was pushed away, several times. I could see with every try her eyes watered and I could see my reflection through them. I was dark and I had red eyes…Who ever that was. It wasn’t me.

“Hunter, listen to me. You need to come back, I know you’re afraid and I know you’re angry…”

Waves of dark pulses slapped her away, throwing her on the floor harshly. My ribcage started aching all of a sudden but I ignored it. My eyes shifted from angry to compassionate as I tried to free myself from this weird substance that was sucking me in, a sort of black goop that was crawling on my skin. It got closer and memories of all the mockery came back. I could remember the beating at school or the pranks at home or even when my brother used to beat me and I couldn’t say anything, I couldn’t tell anyone because I couldn’t speak. People have abused of that for far too long. I am going to free myself from all this kept in anger. Enough of finding excuses for them all.

“Hunter! Stop it! Don’t think that way!”

Enough of being pushed around and being treated as an object!

“Hunter…!”

If they won’t respect me! They will fear me!

Ashlin ran towards me and tried to approach me. She broke through the weird dark aura and touched my arm.

Don’t!

She flew across the empty dark room and I could see her light fading as she laid on the floor. Tiny black vines wrapped around her and pulled her downwards.

“Hunter! Please! You don’t know what you’re doing”

The vines wrapped around her mouth and brought her deeper into the darkness. All I could hear was muffled screams…I didn’t care all that much. It’s about time others felt what I’ve felt all my life. I was bleeding and no one saw my pain. I was screaming but no heard my plea. Every time I uttered …

Muffled.

Unheard.

And ignored screams.

As her light went out, my darkness grew darker and as she is now forever silent…I am now the one who has got something to say…

No more silence…Ever!

“Hunter!” She yelled out.

Half of the room suddenly became bright and the other half where I was stayed pitch black.

“Don’t do this! It’s not you! You need to fight this!”

“No! This is a part of me.” I heard myself say in a dark, low and demonic voice.

What? Uh? I was speaking? Is this how I really sound like. I saw my limbs moving on their own as my body sprinted towards Ashlin. My body threw punches and kicks at her and she dodged them gracefully. What was I doing!? This is Ashlin! I don’t want to hurt her. Now I wasn’t controlling my body at all…I was just a mere spectator.

Ashlin fought back and mumbled something under her breath. She glowed brighter with every word. A tiny spark erupted from nowhere as other embers formed around it. They grew and grew in a split second and hurled towards me with the strength of four roaring fires.

 No!

“Sorry Hunter” She mumbled. “But this needs to be done!”

I braced myself for the impact. Why fire! Why couldn’t she punch me to bring back to my senses or something but FIRE!!?

My limbs moved in a strange fashion and from my arms sprouted out a dark bubble that grew ten times my size. The sparks flew and slammed on the bubble that shattered with every blow. It fell apart like glass.

Small fragments of the burnt glass fell onto the ground and then melted into liquid, each one of the drop red with heat and had some smoke emitting from each one of them. Ashlin stayed on her feet, unimpressed. My hands lifted and they shook as vibrations of power and energy raced through them, my arms grew dark as strands of dusky lines crept from my fingers to my elbow, I felt cold yet painfully hot fluids run through my veins. My skin grew from greyish pale to a darker burnt color. It was as if my arms were overheating, they practically turned charcoal. The residue reacted as it bubbled and grew. The drops began merging with one another. It looked like heated liquid metal, like lava. The room became surprisingly hot as the element grew in size and in length.

I was beginning to drift; I lost control over my body and I could also feel my consciousness slowly fading away… I and my body felt detached all of a sudden. It didn’t belong to me anymore. It belonged to it. As it evolved in power I lost mine. The only thing left was my will to fight it and that was quickly running thin.

Ashlin’s eyes grew suddenly. Did she know what was happening to me…? Because I surely didn’t.

She rushed towards me with bright white glowing hands, ready to attack, ignoring the red substance that stood between us. It took just a few steps for Ashlin to realize that the viscous solution was moving towards her too, meeting her halfway. The deliquescent mass stopped and stood still like it was waiting for her next move. She observed it as it observed her. Her eyes seemed drenched in thoughts; she looked puzzled but she kept a determined look.

Time seemed to have stopped as the silence brought further suspense to the upcoming events. My finger moved slightly and the mass followed with a slight move to the left. It had cooled down and it looked like molted steel. He was controlling it, it seemed. His hands swiped to the left and the mass became stone, he brutally turned his hand into a fist and crushed into tiny rubble. The sea of stones collapsed onto Ashlin, drowning her in an avalanche of rocks. The determination and power he used in every movement made him a frightening opponent. Every time he moved even the smallest finger, my heart would bound out of my chest, the anguish of knowing that this unknown creature that resides within my body is powerful enough to bend substance to his will without pulling a muscle dipped me into deeper despair.

He quickly made the tiny rumbles liquid again and froze it once more. Ashlin who was within it, found herself trapped. He stepped closer towards her and I felt a smile grow on his face.

The room shook violently all of a sudden and a gust of wind exploded trough the stone. A shockwave of stones and escaped pressure hurled him away but he quickly reacted and stabilized himself as he floated in the air.

Ashlin, soiled with dirt, flew up to him…I had no idea she could fly. Right about now, I think I’m the most clueless and the most helpless. I don’t think if I was part of this battle that I could even stand a chance but watching seems to be a lot more painful.

She was at a considerable distance because of how far the shockwave sent him. I noticed how big this room actually was. There was the flooring but then there were no walls and no ceiling. It was a bit upsetting because it was really dark and I don’t know what dangers lies in this caliginous, gloomy and nefarious place.

Ashlin came in closer. 

She spun around as she flew and I could feel the blind rage that was building up as she morphed into a giant comet. The flamed body came closer and closer as he just stood there, he patiently waited. Maybe he knew he would lose and he wanted to end it. As the comet came nose length to me, he extended his hand simply and at the moment where the aggressive flames touched his hand, it got pushed back on the ground violently. Like an invisible energy blast that slammed it into the ground, leaving a crater behind it. He came closer to the hole and saw Ashlin getting back up slowly while holding her arm and trying to steady her breath. She was becoming tired and was badly hurt. He stepped slowly, creeping closer to Ashlin. Every step he took left echoes that hung in the void of the room, my heart beat at the speed of his pace. Every step made my heart burst out of my chest, rendering me to a state of anxiousness.

 I saw fear in Ashlin’s eyes. I also felt my fear grow within me as I started questioning what he would do next. Tears rolled out of her eyes as she started yelling out an incantation with all the strength and breath she had left. He grabbed her violently and put his hand on her mouth as he held her from behind.

“Sh… Sh… Sh…It’s over.” He whispered in her ear…

“Don’t tire yourself out, pitiful conjurer” He smiled maliciously.

 “Don’t worry… “He grinned “I’ll take you out of your misery.”

He lifted his hand and it morphed into a spear. She heard the sheer sound of the blade as it ripped through her thin body. It caught her by surprise as she finally figured out what he meant. He sunk the blade deeper within her back and with every thrust she screamed louder before her loud screams dimmed to silence. She squirmed for a bit. He ripped the spear out of her and she still stood up, slowly losing her balance. He smiled as he noticed the blood flowing out of her wound. He lavished at the smell, the sight…The taste. The torture persisted as he continued stabbing her back, splashing courants of blood all around. Desire, rage and envy exited him, I could feel it. Every stab made her eyes grow wider before I could see the life slip out of them. Her eyelids sat on the edge of her once rosy cheeks while her body hung lifeless on the edge of his blade.

 The echoes of the sounds…Her yells for help and for mercy… They left shivers and goose bumps on my skin. If I had a body, I would cry and promise to avenge her but my hands are tied. I’m trapped. He kept going until she was unrecognizable; it tore my heart into tiny bits. He ripped the blood covered spear out of her back with a quick movement, leaving her fall mercilessly on the ground in the pool of her own blood.

He was done playing with her. He let out a piercing laugh. Then between his cry of victory a light flashed from the sky. Suddenly a rod of ice slashed through the sky and landed on him, crushing him into dust.

Wait what just happened?

I looked at the body drenched in blood and it vanished right before my eyes.

She was alive?

 Ashlin came down and looked at the ashes.

“Decoy! Every sorcerer knows that trick. You should have expected it”

She looked around. I guess hoping to find me.

“Everything is going to be fine Hunter…Where are you?” She screamed out.

But then from behind her…He came. I wanted to say something but I couldn’t. Once again I was powerless. I just looked at her from behind as he was sneaking up. He touched her shoulder and brutally crushed it. My whole being shook as I felt horrible pain. She shuttered and didn’t utter a sound. She slowly started changing to stone as fluids sank into her body.

“I did expect it” He whispered “You should have known not to use that trick on me”

He pressed her shoulder harder, squeezing it with inhumane strength. I felt jolts of pain flash into me as I seemed to fade. She yelled out in pain this time when the stone transformation slowly made is up her neck.

“This isn’t over Tromlui…” She attempted to mumble as it got to chin length.

“I’m afraid it is my sweet maiden.” He replied as he kissed her now rock solid forehead.

A grin formed on his lips as he pushed her to the ground, breaking her into pieces.

He smiled as he acquired a new body, the feeling made him happy. Nothing felt better than being out of the dark but being able to spread it.

 

 

 

 

 

© 2012 GlacialStars


Author's Note

GlacialStars
I continued it :D i hope its good

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
X
Really well done- great dialogue and imagery and imagination. You're a talented writer, keep it up!

Posted 11 Years Ago


X

11 Years Ago

Haha thanks. And what should not hesitate to do?
GlacialStars

11 Years Ago

Recommend the stuff you wrote..>_> that was a huge typo. I'll read what I write before posting from .. read more
X

11 Years Ago

Oh of course not, and no prob.
I really like it:) I really think you should continue it. I think it is really awesome:)


Posted 11 Years Ago


GlacialStars

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm going to update it now XD

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

268 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 4, 2012
Last Updated on December 22, 2012
Tags: hexed, deaf

Author

GlacialStars
GlacialStars

Netherlands Antilles



About
I'm a 17 year old silly, random and dangerously optimistic guy. I am condemned to live in a 5 foot five body and most happy to be a free spirit although I am bounded within the roots of my country. .. more..

Writing