Card Prompt: Locate the Fear

Card Prompt: Locate the Fear

A Poem by TheWordWrecker

Late in the day, the sun seems tired. There are hushed whispers in the wind. Lullabies in the trees. As if the earth below is trying to rock the sun to sleep.

The last piece of tranquility before darkness descends, covering the sun in a blanket. The sun doesn’t see what happens next.

We are blind yet out other sense are heightened. We hear things better, creeping up between the trees. A branch cracks underfoot. The wind has a different whisper.

No lullabies, just chills and ‘shushes’.

God forbid what would happen if I were to scream.

The sun goes to bed and the earth comes out to play. Creatures crawl from underneath its surface. Dark wings take flight from the shelter of trees.

The moon barely casts a shadow, leaving plenty of room for everything to keep hidden.

Why else would they come out at night if they want to remain unseen.

Maybe thats why forests seem so much bigger at night, its full of secrets.

The dark road little Red Riding hood got lost on. The one the wolf crept on. Was the dirt dry or the mud shallow?

Fairy tales always leave out these details.

Besides the red hood, how easy was it to track a little girl in the woods?

Or is it a natural fear to fear that we are followed or being watched in the dark?

 

© 2016 TheWordWrecker


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on July 6, 2016
Last Updated on July 6, 2016

Author

TheWordWrecker
TheWordWrecker

Cincinnati, OH



About
Recent Grad from Uni missing a writing community chained to a desk at a 9-5 jotting story notes to pass the time. Doctors orders: Words, I must find! Otherwise, I might loose my mind. (No,.. more..

Writing