This, I Believe

This, I Believe

A Story by Cameron Mair

            Life is indescribable. No one could ever hope to summarize it into words, because emotions go much farther than ink on paper. Yet, I believe that I can describe what has turned me into the person I am today. Life has obstacles, but none that can’t be overcome through optimism, happiness, and love. These three elements are what I value most in mankind, and could never be substituted for anything else.

            I’ve seen too many people in high school complain about everything and everyone. They say the world is heading towards hell, and that everyone today is self-centered. I’d rather stay on the bright side and explain that the world is just as it’s always been, with war, poverty, and hate. Although, I think that we could head in a better direction if only we tried and cared enough. Not one person on this earth is evil, and it takes time for one to realize that. Every human is complex and shouldn’t be judged by anyone else, even though they may have done evil things. As Ralph Waldo Emerson had once said, “Every sweet has its sour; every evil its good.” This is saying that no one is wholly good or bad, and I agree with this strongly. In my short life, I’ve seen honest people do terrible things and terrible people do honest things. It’s up to us to try to understand each other, and to love our positive virtues as well as our negative. Not one person on this planet is perfect, and there never will be, because we’ve all made mistakes. Yet, optimism is what keeps us from destroying ourselves. As much as we won’t admit it, we all look forward to a bright future. This future is reachable if we leave behind biased thoughts, and instead take to a more united and understanding society. I think the transcendentalists had the same idea in mind with their philosophy, because they believe that one should live in a more comforting and peaceful world. My values relate to this in that everyone should be treated equally and staying optimistic over issues will always lead to a brighter ending.

            Different people become happy through different things, because no one is the same. Yet, I think we can all relate to happiness, which most people envy to have in their daily life. Some look up to money, fame, drugs, or simply sex as a way to feel good. I couldn’t disagree more, seeing as this is false pleasure, followed by consequences. Has anyone ever just stopped to think, maybe happiness isn’t what we don’t have, but what we do have? The world needs to slow down, and forget all it’s problems for a while to focus on what is really important. Music, movies, games, humor, family, food, pets, friends, sports, reading, writing, drawing, dancing, hugging, living; this is happiness. What other reason is there to live, than to be happy? There is none. Life is short, and we shouldn’t spend it fighting with one another or trying to buy that mansion we always wanted. It should be spent with what is around us and what is within us. Who we are as a person should be what’s most important, and that’s what we love and what we believe in. It’s possible to pick up a new hobby and drop another one at any moment, but it doesn’t matter as long as we’re happy. Wise words by Emerson were spoken as he stated, “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…” This explains that beauty is all around us, both in nature and ourselves. Take the time to enjoy what you have, even if it’s as simple as holding a hand. Freedom is a wonderful benefit we have, to choose a religion, to choose a language, to choose a life. It’s something that lets us live in happiness. The world isn’t keeping us from being cheerful, we are. This also relates back to transcendentalist values because they believe that every individual should work towards happiness, instead of working towards money.

            What is most important to me, above everything else, is love. It may sound unoriginal, but its what I find to be most valued to me. Not the love that clueless teenagers tell each other after one week of dating, but something far more. This love represents a bond that could never be broken through meaningless disputes. I would gladly take a bullet for someone I loved, and I wish others were willing to do the same for the ones they love. With family, it can be hard, and arguments are bound to erupt out of anger and frustration. Yet, what I find most fascinating is that after the tension has ceased, you find yourself even closer to that person. No matter how hard you try, true love with an individual will keep you with them, even after all of your differences. Friends also share a form of love that most won’t admit at times. Spending the summer with close friends builds memories that could never be forgotten. Ties are made at times like these, which create a certain appreciation toward one another, appreciation in knowing that these friends would stand by your side when facing danger or comfort you during a tough time. I don’t think I would be who I am today without friends, and life certainly wouldn’t be as exciting or entertaining. One last form of love is towards a partner, one who is with you for who you are. Now, I don’t expect anyone to marry his or her first date, and that’s perfectly all right. Not every girl a boy finds will be perfect for him, and not every boy a girl finds will be perfect for her. In fact, I believe no two are completely perfect for each other, because no two are completely the same. Yet, finding your love is finding someone who is different from you, in both good and bad ways. To accept these characteristics and to adore them, that is true love. Every couple will run into rough patches, but sacrifices and caring for them with all your heart is what makes one special. One last quote from Emerson explains, “To laugh often and love much… to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to give one’s self… this is to have succeeded.” This is saying that neither you nor your companion is perfect, but you are perfect for one another. Looking past physical attractions is very important too, something both teenagers and adults have trouble doing. I wish to love a girl who is lovely as a person, and that can accept my faults as I accept hers. I also believe in homosexuality, it’s perfectly fine for two people of the same gender to marry and love each other just as a heterosexual couple has the freedom to do. Love shouldn’t matter how they look on the outside, but how they feel on the inside. Maybe one day the world can live in a time that everyone is focusing on another’s thoughts and personality instead of their riches and appearance. Similar to myself transcendentalists focus on love, although primarily toward nature, which I appreciate as well.

            Now, a persons mind is much more complex then what they can explain, but I do know that three things I believe in strongly are optimism, happiness, and love. They are all positive things, for the reason that I see life as a positive experience. Transcendentalism also holds many of the same values as I do, such as enjoying the simple things. That’s what life is about, being who you are and not changing for anyone else, and that’s exactly what I’m going to do. 

© 2012 Cameron Mair


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
Added on December 18, 2012
Last Updated on December 18, 2012
Tags: first person, dramatic, philosophy, opinion, argumentative, perspective, believe, world

Author

Cameron Mair
Cameron Mair

Macomb , MI



About
I'm just like everyone else here. Unique. more..

Writing
I. I.

A Poem by Cameron Mair