Praising Beauty

Praising Beauty

A Story by Thorn
"

A very short story. The opening lines came to me suddenly, when I was staring out the window.

"

“Look up at the moon, my darling,” said the wolf to his mate. “See how bright it is? It’s glowing just for you,”
“But I’m only one wolf,” she sighed, leaning against him wearily. “Why would it shine for me?”
“Sweet Fabula; you are more bright and individual than any celestial being. A thousand moons couldn’t come close to your beauty,”

She smiled. “Stop that. You’re being ridiculous,”
“Am I? I swear, my words conceal no lies,”
Fabula laughed, then, a bright shining sound. She pulled away slightly, to gaze at her lover with amusement in her eyes. He looked so handsome in the moonlight. Surely she wasn’t as stunning as that?
“You’re being ridiculous,” she repeated, turning to pad slowly away.

He was by her side in an instant, matching her stride with a powerful, lupine gait.
“I mean what I say, sweetest Fabula. If I could conjure myself a pelt of purest moonlight, I would. Just to try and make myself deserving of such a goddess,”
She stopped. “You said that a thousand moons wouldn’t match my beauty. Why, then, would you coat yourself in moonbeams to capture my eye?”

He smiled at her playful tone, but there was a sadness in him too .“Because it would be as close as I could get. Come, now. Raise your nose and howl, to show the world how sweet is your voice,”
Eye sparkling, Fabula lifted her muzzle to the jewel encrusted sky, and let a great howling song escape her jaws. After a moment she heard another voice rising beside her, low and familiar. It could only be her mate. As their combined calls, ringing with love and longing, rose and fell on the still night air, the moon looked down on the wolves and smiled.

All nature is equally beautiful. Some may believe that others are more so than they, but nothing could be more untrue. Everything and everyone is perfect. Otherwise; why would nature have bothered to think of us in the first place?

© 2009 Thorn


Author's Note

Thorn
Now, I know they don't behave like real wolves. But nor are they supposed to be taken as real wolves.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is really good -- its very poetic and its beautifully written. It paints a nice picture in my mind...two wolves beneath the moonlight, howling simply to be heard. It's almost like those pictures of the typical wolf, where he is standing there beneath the stars and howling, but it adds to those pictures in the sense that it makes the animal /real/. It gives him a mate, a love, a background, a story... I love it.

I think you did really well in putting a lot of emotion into this.

Keep up the excellent work! ^^

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This such a beautiful story. I love how the emotion speaks through here. Awesome job.

~Hatchling

Posted 8 Years Ago


Very lovely story, paints a very well illustrated picture in my mind

Posted 9 Years Ago


I love the way you write. I want more!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Thorn

10 Years Ago

Aww, thank you. ^.^
What a great short story. I wish for more. Reading this years later. They sound like sweet characters.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Thorn

10 Years Ago

Thanks very much! =) Nice comments like this really make my day. ^.^
Characters, yes. I like the story frame. It's incomplete and the ending is way too soon. This feels like the beginning of a great Disney movie or something.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Thorn

10 Years Ago

Haha well, it is an old story and I did write it pretty quickly. xD Ooh, I like Disney. So thanks! =.. read more
i love the idea behind the story, that love and romance and sweet talk exist everywhere, even in anthropomorphized wolves. good read and interesting idea. kudos :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Thorn

11 Years Ago

Why, thank you! =D
wow this was amazing. A beautiful story.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wolves are amzing. I have been looking for a good story about them such as this.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
r
Wow, this is amazing. I absolutely love it. I't soooo poetic and sooo beautiful.

Haha. I'm starting to read your work, instead of merely talking to you on that forum. lol

Posted 13 Years Ago


beautiful.

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3185 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 4, 2009
Last Updated on December 26, 2009
Tags: Wolves, Love, Anthropomorphism

Author

Thorn
Thorn

A city with roads in it, New Zealand



About
I'm Thorn. I like sushi, and my pet axolotl, Mexie. I enjoy sailing, writing, and acting. And playing my flute. ^^ I dislike maths, trying to memorise Shakespeare, and being wrong. But I love my c.. more..

Writing
Thoughts Thoughts

A Story by Thorn


Dawning Dawning

A Poem by Thorn


Midnight Liaison Midnight Liaison

A Chapter by Thorn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..