Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Crifa
"

Odayin's Chapter

"

     Time went on; we got older, stronger, and even a little smarter.  I kept dogging Skyler as much as I could about how great we would be if we were snipers because it seemed his faith and hope were slipping.

     “No worries bro,” I said casually as I brought up something I knew was important, “Both of us need to be trained with the rifle either way, just because you're the primary shooter and I'm the primary spotter doesn’t mean I can’t have you're back.  You know, it will be two of us, two guns, and two pairs of binoculars, right?”

     “Yeah, I guess you're right,” Skyler replied sounding unconvinced, but I knew that the tone just came from him thinking deep into it.

     There isn’t too much left to tell about our school life.  We still talked to our friends, worked out, aced the quizzes and tests, and people still left us alone.  I could swear, out of the corner of my eye, that I would see people take a glance in our direction and then just slowly shake their head.  They may not have faith, but I know Skyler and I can do this.  We have all the qualities, what’s the worst that can happen?

     I already knew that that expression would come back to haunt me.

*  *  *

      The letters had been sent in long ago.  We were accepted to the opportunity of training to be Marines.  This was slightly expected as it seems everyone gets a chance; or maybe they just like proving that some people aren’t up to the test, not up to physical exertion, or just not up to the mental strain that training to be a soldier can cause.  Even though we weren’t sure what would happen next, we were more determined than we had ever been in our lives.

     The goodbyes were sad, they always are.  In fact, I only remember a slight blur of hugs and kisses with loved ones.  Skyler and I both had girlfriends, and it seemed it was custom to keep a picture of her with you at all times….so naturally, we planned to keep two.  Our families said we would be missed, and my sister even went as far as screaming that I might not come home.  I just raised an eyebrow and calmed her nerves by informing her that if we were to leave to go to battle, we would get to come home first.  Or at least, that’s how it’s supposed to be.  Either way, I knew I would miss all the friends and family that I was leaving behind and that Skyler would as well.

*  *  *

     We both disembarked our vehicles at the same time; it seems that happens a lot.  After last hurried goodbyes with the ones who had come along, I looked Skyler directly in the eye and said (as I had practiced) as clearly and firm as possible, “It is time.”

     We followed instructors’ pointing arms to the place I knew we would eventually end up.  As us and about a hundred others crammed into a room with large, double, metal doors on the far end, I felt so…similar.  I felt like I just blended in, like there was nothing special about me.  Almost like my whole entire sense of being unique was taken away from me.  I looked at Skyler and I could tell he was feeling similar sensations.  I looked up near the doors at the man that was standing in front of all of us.  He was saluting and everyone fell silent.  As soon as the last drops of noise had evaporated, he put his arm down.

     It was then that I heard words I would never forget:

     “Citizens!” his booming voice roared across the hall and back with defined echoes. “Or at least, that’s what you are right now!  But upon my command, each one of you will pass through those doors behind me and that will all change!” He seemed to pause for dramatic effect only, “For you pass through these doors only once, and once you do, you will no longer be a citizen. You will be a United States Marine!”



© 2012 Crifa


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on June 6, 2012
Last Updated on June 6, 2012


Author

Crifa
Crifa

MA



Writing
Strings Strings

A Poem by Crifa


Hive Mind Hive Mind

A Poem by Crifa


Nightfall Nightfall

A Poem by Crifa