Letting Go

Letting Go

A Story by Tina H.W.

Tuesday, 18 October, 2016


I let Ellie go today. We weren't together all that long but it was harder to let her go than any of the other girls I've cut ties with. They were passive, submissive boring girls. But Ellie.. she had spirit. A lot of fight in her. I remember how passionate some of our rows had been. She once threw a dinner plate at me; screamed that she hated me but I always managed to subdue her. I could cope with her tantrums. If I'm honest, they excited me. It's one reason I kept her with me for as long as I did. What I couldn't cope with (and what made my decision to end it) was her popularity. She was the most sought after girl I've ever met! Always in demand; always being asked after. Her friends and family said I was a creep and that she was to good for me. What did they know? They didn't even know me!

The short walk we took in the morning Autumn sunshine was pleasant. We held hands tightly but little was said until we stopped to sit down, looking out at the fantastic views of endless hills and valleys. An orange and red hue covering the treetops. I chose the location specifically. It couldn't have been more perfect location.

Ellie had tears in her eyes when I told her I was letting her go. She told me I didn't have to do this; that our life together was what she wanted. She didn't want an end; she wanted to stay with me. She clung to my coat, sobbed, begged me to think about what I was doing before it was too late; cried that once I'd let her go there was no going back.
I smiled at her and told her that I'd made up my mind. She cried harder. Big, pitiful sobs rolled down her cheeks.
I managed to free myself from her grasp before I pushed her. She gasped, looked at me with stunned wide eyes as she stumbled back, grabbing at the air as she fell from the edge of the hill. I watched her body get smaller as she disappeared.

How do I feel? Powerful. Only a few people are blessed with truly knowing that feeling. I'm walking away from this as I have done so many other times before with all the other girls who mysteriously disappeared. I suppose I'll be caught one day. But they'll have to catch me first...

© 2016 Tina H.W.


Author's Note

Tina H.W.
Would just like to say a huge thank you to the nice gentlemen who kindly allowed me to use his personal photograph as inspiration and a front cover for this short story :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Made me chuckle - she thew a dinner plate at me - did i laugh, oh yes i did. Short, sharp yet vivid visions of where they sit on the hill is image perfect.

The 2 girls - the images which i have in my head of the girls is that the popular one is whhat i like to call plastic which simply means fake. The other girl is the nerdy one BUT has a well hidden dark side.

This flowed really, really well, just how a story is meant to read.

And here it is yet again - Tina, you always do this to me. WHY OH WHY can't i ever see these endings coming.

Mark.

QUALITY PIECE AGAIN.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Thank you again for your positive review, Mark.
I guess I'm just a fan of shock, twist ending.. read more
matrixmark

7 Years Ago

Much like myself.

Mark.



Reviews

Those last two sentences really threw a wrench into all my notions to that point. Sneaky... but great. Very good writing, although I did see a couple of missing small words and one needed comma.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Thank you for taking time to read and review, Samuel. I'm glad you liked it :) As for those small mi.. read more
Made me chuckle - she thew a dinner plate at me - did i laugh, oh yes i did. Short, sharp yet vivid visions of where they sit on the hill is image perfect.

The 2 girls - the images which i have in my head of the girls is that the popular one is whhat i like to call plastic which simply means fake. The other girl is the nerdy one BUT has a well hidden dark side.

This flowed really, really well, just how a story is meant to read.

And here it is yet again - Tina, you always do this to me. WHY OH WHY can't i ever see these endings coming.

Mark.

QUALITY PIECE AGAIN.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Thank you again for your positive review, Mark.
I guess I'm just a fan of shock, twist ending.. read more
matrixmark

7 Years Ago

Much like myself.

Mark.
This write certainly reminds me of your early ones on the Café. 'letting her go' a great euphemism, especially given how he kills her.

The last two lines are repetitive. I get that they mean slightly different things. But rewording them a but might help.

Great posting!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

I am glad you take comments as helpful. Because I enjoy your work very much. P.S. Check the date on .. read more
Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Oops! Altered. Thank you! That was a deliberate mistake of course... ;)
Shannon

7 Years Ago

Of course! ☺️

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

621 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 17, 2016
Last Updated on October 21, 2016

Author

Tina H.W.
Tina H.W.

United Kingdom



About
Hello! :) Wow! I feel out of my depth among so many talented writers! Well.. I like to write (that's when I have the time) Most of my stories are either humorous or dark and sinister. I love to try a.. more..

Writing