Absent Friends

Absent Friends

A Story by Tina H.W.
"

All I can say is: the friend collector

"
I sat staring at the fast flickering of the cursor on my laptop screen, fingers hovering eagerly over the keyboard, ready to engage in witty repartee with my four friends. I met them ten months ago. I had so much to say and so little time to say them before I went to work.
Over my right shoulder, my boyfriend's presence cast a shadow across the screen but I ignored him. I knew exactly what he was going to say; and he did, right on cue. Three...two...one...
"Talking to your friends again, are we?" I carried on ignoring him. "Tell me. What's the fabulous Tamsin and Sophie up to these days? No. Actually don't tell me. Let me guess. They're... in a changing room in some posh clothes store, moaning that nothing fits and the dresses make their arse look big."
I could hear the smile in his voice. Smug git. He laughed. "I'm right, aren't I?"
I twisted my head round and grinned childishly at him.
"No, actually, they're not, smart-arse. They're in a shoe shop. Now go away and let me finish, will you?"
He sighed and kissed the top of my head.
"Wonder how long this lot will stick around for. The last lot you made friends with abandoned you after a year."
I shrugged. "They didn't abandon me. They just... moved on to pastures new."


It's true. I do have a lot of friends. Friends from all over the globe; from all walks of life. Some of whom have even been accused of murder! But no one's perfect are they? I mean, Craig (that's my boyfriend) his idiot friends are all woman- mad, beer-guzzling, car-obsessed, footie-fanatic dullards who boast that they can burp the alphabet after drinking a yard of ale! At least my friends have a bit of decorum. Tamsin's husband, Stephen, is a doctor of medicine and Sophie's brother, Daniel is a theatre designer.
Okay, I will admit that Tamsin and Sophie only live to shop and gossip and the most important decision they'll ever have to make is what colour nail varnish goes with what clutch bag and shoes they have.
Craig isn't interested in the friends I've made over the years, but he calls me his "Little People Collector." I can't help it! People and their individual characteristics fascinate me.
I must admit, my friends do demand my time. Sometimes they call on me at the most ungodly hour of the day and I can't ignore them. Sometimes I rush out of bed to attend to anyone of them.
"Your friends again," Craig said grumpily one night. "Funny. I never heard the phone."
I love Craig but he knew what I was like when we met seven years ago. I can't and won't give up my friends.

"I thought it was only men who adopted the 'mates before dates ' rule," he moaned from the sofa. "I had plans for us before you went to work. I'm beginning to think you fancy this Stephen bloke more than you do me! You spend a lot of your time on him."
I spun around on my swivel chair to face him.
"Oh, I do not! Don't exaggerate."
"Oh, yeah? Okay, why is it then when we we having a little cuddle the other night, you suddenly said 'I'm worried about Stephen'".
"Well I am!"
"No doubt you'll step in and sort things out. You're a sucker for a happy ending."
As much as it pained me, I cut contact with Tamsin and the others and closed my laptop and walked over to Craig and kissed his lips passionately, just to let him know I hadn't completely forgotten about him. Then I left for work - an hour later.

That was three months ago. Since then, I've cut ties with Tamsin, Sophie, Stephen and Daniel. And Craig has ceased moaning. If you're wondering if I did it for Craig, well, no chance! My friends just didn't need me anymore. But we all parted on a happy ending.
Now, I'm sitting in a café with my literary agent, toasting my new book: Absent Friends.
"Bet you'll miss Tamsin and co now you've finished your book. It's always the same; you get so involved with your characters. It's always hard for you to say goodbye to them."
"I know," I say sadly and then smile when Vanessa raises her cup in a toast.
"Here's to Absent Friends," we say together.

© 2016 Tina H.W.


Author's Note

Tina H.W.
Any critique is welcome.
Thank you :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

a writer as friend collector. Characters for a book??? How do we synthesize life experience into writing? This piece flew by, great concept and could easily be expanded by providing more detail on the friend collector, yet not revealing the twisty possibilities. Is the "boyfriend" real? Another twist in the making. I again enjoyed this solid story.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Thank you, roarke. Is the "boyfriend real? I'm beginning to wonder myself! Thank you for taking tim.. read more



Reviews

This is PERFECT! I love the twist. So cool you are! I would love to read more of your works Tina. Keep writing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Capolavoro! It means a lot to me to know my little story has been not only read, .. read more
This was a very intriguing piece. I didn't expect the ending but I've come to expect unexpected ends from you 😉

I liked the dialogues and how you carried the details. I loved this too. To me, it seems flawless 😊

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Yumna! You are too kind *blushes* ^.^ :)
Dr. YumnaKay

7 Years Ago

Uh uh I have yet to meet a girl who doesn't blush lol always welcome 😊😊
Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

You too! 😊
Great piece Tina! Keep it up!! :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Mr. Writer. I'll certainly try my best ;)
this is a great story,it is interesting and seems to be real life

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Thank you, wordman. I think the concept of the "people collector" is how a lot of people feel during.. read more
 wordman

7 Years Ago

my pleasure
a writer as friend collector. Characters for a book??? How do we synthesize life experience into writing? This piece flew by, great concept and could easily be expanded by providing more detail on the friend collector, yet not revealing the twisty possibilities. Is the "boyfriend" real? Another twist in the making. I again enjoyed this solid story.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Thank you, roarke. Is the "boyfriend real? I'm beginning to wonder myself! Thank you for taking tim.. read more
I can feel this. Most of my work I have not posted because novel length stories are too lengthy. I do relate. By the end my characters seem real to me. Thanks for the post, Dave

Posted 7 Years Ago


Dialogue flows really well. When the story progressed i had visions of this teenage or a girl in her early twenties
because of they way she talked.

'Little people collector' - i like that a lot (you knew i would).

GODAMMIT why o why can't i see these amazing twists coming. INCREDIBLE, you did it again.

This flowed beautifully, a piece well worth my time and the read.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Mark! These are normally the stories I favour but it makes a change. Thank you for taking.. read more
Wow, fascinating! Best twist yet. I reread it to see if I missed it the first time. Nope. So very well done!

This sentence would be clearer if it were divided in two:
Since then, I've cut ties with Tamsin, Sophie, Stephen and Daniel and Craig has ceased moaning.

PS I have trouble with setting limits with screen time, so this all rang true.


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tina H.W.

7 Years Ago

Thank you, S :) It's altered. This was the hardest twist for me to write and I wasn't sure if it wou.. read more
matrixmark

7 Years Ago

Pleasure was all mine.

Mark.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

622 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 21, 2016
Last Updated on October 25, 2016

Author

Tina H.W.
Tina H.W.

United Kingdom



About
Hello! :) Wow! I feel out of my depth among so many talented writers! Well.. I like to write (that's when I have the time) Most of my stories are either humorous or dark and sinister. I love to try a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


CRAZY POET CRAZY POET

A Story by CAPOLAVORO