Chapter 24

Chapter 24

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

A dark moment for Louise.

"

    The Big Hunt came. Almost everyone in the village was out on the hunt.

 

    I wasn’t one of them. I stayed home with Armand and my growing yet unborn Wolf Child.

 

    The Wolf People Village seemed almost empty but there were plenty of Wolf People about.

 

    Holding Armand close I went to the kitchen window and gazed out. A couple Wolf People were out and about in the dark village.

 

    Overhead in the blue black dark sky the silver blue moon shone down, splashing its surreal light upon the whole landscape.

 

    In the distance I heard a pack of coyotes singing. Closer an owl called out and in no time at all I heard the answering call of another owl.

 

    I kissed the top of Armand’s dark head. He made a small soft sound. I sighed.

 

    I missed Mr. Black. I hated to admit it, but I did. The Big Hunt seemed to be lasting a long time.

 

    The Broadleaf Maples were in bud and so were a lot of the shrubs growing in the dark Douglas Fir forest. Greens shoots were pushing their way through the soil all over the place.

 

    It seemed spring was on its way in the Wolf People World, but they didn’t call it spring, but I guess I was still human enough to think of it as spring.

 

    As I stood there gazing out the window I saw a coal black Wolf slinking toward my house.

 

    My eyes narrowed as I watched this Wolf creep closer.

 

    Why was this Wolf Person trying to be sneaky, thinking no one would notice them?

 

    I growled.

 

    I knew they were up to no good.

 

    I held Armand tighter against me, hoping this Wolf Person would continue on by and enter the Douglas Fir and budding Broadleaf Maple forest.

 

    I wanted no trouble.

 

    Armand squirmed, wanting down. What a moment for him to decide that!

 

    I held on tight as I continued to watch this Wolf Person in Wolf Form trying to keep itself concealed as it crept through the Wolf People Village.

 

    The coyotes continued yapping and singing in the distance. I heard a red fox bark a couple times then the owl started calling out again.

 

    A silent chilly breeze swept across the village and blew into the dark forest causing the tree limbs to sway gently back and forth with a soft rustling sound.

 

    I realized this Wolf Person was not going to continue on by the house. And I recognized who this Wolf Person was.

 

    She looked up at the kitchen window still in her Wolf Form, her black eyes locking with mine.

 

    I gasped a little in shock and anger.

 

    It was Miss Rose!

 

    Why wasn’t she on the Big Hunt, I wondered?

 

    Then I growled, a sound low and rumbling in my chest.

 

    She was only here to cause problems.

 

    I turned away from the kitchen window just as she was shape shifting into her human form.

 

    I didn’t want trouble, but trouble was coming to me anyway!

 

    I went into the bedroom and put Armand in his baby bed. He didn’t like this at all and made whimpering sounds. He looked up at me with his unhappy tear filled eyes and held his arms out to me, wanting me to pick him up and take him out of his baby bed.

 

    “Sorry honey, I can’t.” I said regretfully. “Mommy has a big bad problem to deal with.”

 

    I heard Miss Rose at the front door. I snarled and turned away from Armand and headed to the front door.

 

    Miss Rose wasn’t going to find a welcome greeting her arrival!

 

    As I went to the front door I opened my senses wide to make sure there were no other Wolf People close to the house. I wanted to know if there was any danger to my son. Miss Rose, I quickly discovered, was here on her own.

 

    I was just reaching the door when I heard her knock.

 

    At least she was being polite right now!

 

    I reached the door and swung it open. “What do you want?” I asked with an ugly snarl.

 

    I was pleased to see Miss Rose looked taken aback by my very unfriendly and down right hostile greeting.

 

    “Well, hello Louise.” She said, putting a smile on her face real quick.

 

    I cringed at her husky voice, remembering I use to find it so beautiful.

 

    “Hello yourself.”

 

    “I’m stopping by for a visit.”

 

    “Why aren’t you on the Big Hunt?”

 

    “I already have been. My meat is at the Cold House being tended to.” She answered me.

 

    “Why aren’t any of the other hunters back yet?” I asked, not believing anything Miss Rose was saying.

 

    “Why so unfriendly?”

 

    I laughed. “Why indeed? I’m just not in a friendly mood right now.” I smiled, making sure my canines were showing.

 

    “I can make you feel better. Put you in a good mood.” She looked hungry and hopeful.

 

    I almost slammed the door in her face right then but I wanted to throw a few choice words in her face first.

 

    “Stay away Miss Rose. I’m not interested in you. Stay away for your own sake. I’m trying to care at least a little bit for you. You were a friend once.”

 

    “Louise! Why are you treating me like this?” Miss Rose sounded like she was genuinely shocked, not making it up at all.

 

    “You’re trying to get me to be intimate with you!”

    “So? You’re not happy with Mr. Black. He’s repeatedly raping you! Getting you pregnant! At least I care about you!” Miss Rose’s voice rose as she reached the end of her words.

 

    I stood there stunned by what she said, wondering what to say now? When had I ever been happy with Mr. Black? I’d run away so how could I say I wasn’t unhappy with him? But I didn’t want to be with her either!

 

    “Go away!” I cried and slammed the door closed on her face.

 

    “I’ll be back!” I heard her yell to me from the other side of the closed door.

 

    Then I heard her walking away.

 

    Shaken I went back to the bedroom, took a now sleeping Armand out of his baby bed and curled up with him on the bed.

 

    For some reason I felt like crying, I was so confused and just didn’t know why.

 

    Miss Rose’s words shouldn’t have bothered me so much but they did.

 

    She was a problem that wouldn’t go away. Life was a problem.

 

    My tears started to fall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2009 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think Louise is feeling overwhelmed and Miss Rose is helping the situation. Maybe Louise will have Miss Rose beheaded!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Miss Rose is so out there! What's with her? I wanted to cry too.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

She admitted to missing him, love that. So the truth comes out from Mrs. Rose it makes you see her in A different light. She didn't see anything wrong with what she was doing. Hm wonder how it's going to play out now.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This chapter pulled me in, lively action in this one. I like this chapter, it's gripping and wonderful.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

588 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 5, 2009


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 23 Chapter 23

A Chapter by Tina Kline