Chapter 32

Chapter 32

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

The darkness in Louise's life looks even darker.

"

    I wasn’t happy at all with Mr. Black. He was off again with the Pack Leader discussing war strategy with other chosen male Wolf People.

 

    There was a lot of tension in the Wolf People Village as the possibility of war was whispered about. Most of the Pack disbelieving, thinking it was all rumors and lies.

 

    But I knew it wasn’t.

 

    I sat at the kitchen table with Miss Snow and Pine talking about war and other matters.

 

    Armand sat on the floor playing with his shapes carved out of elk antlers. Miss Starfire and Mr. Hunter slept in their baby bed in the front room. Close enough so I could hear it if they woke up but far enough away not to be disturbed by our talking.

 

    “I can’t believe our Pack Leader.” Said an angry Miss Snow, her black eyes gleaming with her anger. “He’ll have all the Packs down on us and that will be bloody!”

 

    “He has lost his mind.” Agreed Pine. “What does he want to do?”

 

    “Rule the world.” I replied.

 

    Miss Snow and Pine laughed at the stupidness of that.

 

    “Rule the world? I believe that.” Said Pine.

 

    “Our Pack Leader, ruler over all the Wolf People!” Miss Snow laughed too.

 

    I joined in the laughter. It wasn’t a fun laughter like we were enjoying something really funny. We were laughing at what a stupid Pack Leader we had, wanting to and thinking he could rule the world.

 

    Our laughter faded. We wiped the laugh moisture from our eyes.

 

    “We can’t let such a thing happen as this war.” I said.

 

    “How can we stop it?” asked Pine.

 

    “Off with his head.” I said. It was like decapitation was my favorite subject and solution.

 

    Both Miss Snow and Pine gave out short loud laughs.

 

    “Why not?” I asked.

 

    “What would happen to us?” asked Pine.

 

    “The Pack would be grateful we stopped this war.” I answered.

 

    “Most of the Pack doesn’t believe in the war.” pointed out Pine.

 

    “I bet they do. They just can’t accept it.” I said.

 

    We all looked at each other. Armand was making sounds very close to talking as he sat in the kitchen doorway playing with his shapes.

 

    Outside it was dark but warm. No breeze was blowing and it was very still out. The silver blue moon shone down on the landscape with its gentle splash of light.

 

    We could hear Wolf People talking softly nearby. In the distance several coyotes were howling. Closer an owl called from the lofty branches of a Douglas Fir tree.

 

    “We can’t kill the Pack Leader.” Pine finally said, her voice tight with her sudden fear.

 

    I sat back in my chair. I felt very frustrated. I thought of my three Wolf Children. What would happen to them if or more likely when the Pack went to war?

 

    I thought of myself finally maturing completely into a Wolf Person. Thinking back on how unusual everyone thought it was I got pregnant so easily. Perhaps it had been so unusual to the Wolf People because I was still changing into a werewolf.

 

    I no longer had the desire to escape back to the Human World to live there. Now I hungered to return only to hunt, to kill and to devour a human, the most delicious raw bloody flesh I’d ever tasted.

 

    Now, as I was finally coming into my own as a Wolf Person this threat to my existence here shows up in the form of a Mad Pack Leader.

 

   He had to be mad, I decided. There was no history of warfare in the studies I had undertaken to learn all I could of Wolf People.

 

    The Wolf People just did not war with each other. That’s not to say they never had conflicts with each other within a Pack, or with another Pack. They just resolved the disputes without going to all out war.

 

    “No, I guess not.” I said in a small tired voice.

 

    We sat there in very gloomy moods. More coyotes sang in the distance. Several Wolf People in their Wolf Forms joined together in their own song somewhere out in the silvery blue splashed Douglas Fir and Broadleaf Maple forest.

 

    I heaved a big sigh. Outside the open kitchen window a bat went by with a soft whisper of its wings in its quest for insects.

 

    Miss Snow sighed deeply. Then Pine did too.

 

    “War is not a good thing. I haven’t been a Wolf Person so long I don’t remember things from my human life in the Human World.” I said.

 

    Both Pine and Miss Snow looked at me out of their radiant eyes.

 

    “I am a born Wolf Person. I have very little knowledge of the Human World.” admitted Pine.

 

    “War is ugly. Many will die very awful and ugly deaths. Many others will suffer or die ugly deaths who are not part of the battle. There is no true honor in war.” I told her. Then I looked at Miss Snow and waited.

 

    “I was turned as you were.” admitted Miss Snow.  “A very long time ago. I still recall the year in the Human World. It was 1402.”

 

    “Wow.” I exclaimed. “That was a long time ago.”

 

    “It was a very different Human World than the one you came from.” Miss Snow said to me.

 

    “Yes. No computers. No cell phones. No cars or planes.” I said.

 

    “None of that is important here in the Wolf Peoples World.” said Miss Snow.

 

    I thought about it only for a second or two. And that was all it took for me to agree with her. Those things were no longer important. They meant nothing to me now. Nothing from the Human World did now.

 

    It was the change in me. The process of becoming a Wolf Person completely, clear down to my DNA and what ever made me who I was. My soul or spirit, perhaps.

 

    “You’re right Miss Snow. None of that stuff is important. It’s just a curiosity from another world, if that even. But we must think of something to save our lives here as we know it. Prevent this war.” I said.

 

    I looked at Pine and Miss Snow and felt a cold chilly fear ripple across my body.

 

    I saw in their faces and eyes that they were already defeated. They already had accepted the Pack Leader’s war as inevitable.

 

 

           



© 2009 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The story keeps getting more depth to it. Miss Snow was once human that is very interesting since I thought Louise was the only non born wolf person within that pack. I agree with Louise war is not a good idea and I hope it doesn't come to that, but I will have to read to find out.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Things are looking very dark for all the Wolf People. How are they going to prevent this from happening.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wondering what's going to happen to Louise's life with this war the Pack Leader is wanting.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

The story keeps getting more depth to it. Miss Snow was once human that is very interesting since I thought Louise was the only non born wolf person within that pack. I agree with Louise war is not a good idea and I hope it doesn't come to that, but I will have to read to find out.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is so wonderful, I like this amazing detail and imagery. I like this chapter I thought it was very well written.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

535 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 6, 2009


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Memory Memory

A Poem by Tate Morgan