Chapter 33

Chapter 33

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

Louise discovers it really is always darkest just before its light.

"

    Another daylight period was approaching. Glancing out the kitchen window I saw the greyness chasing away the black.

 

    Mr. Black had been gone for hours. While I was pleased that I knew where he was at, the pleasure of it was lost in my annoyance of his length of absence and the meaning behind it.

 

    That meaning left me cold. War Talk.

 

    Miss Snow and Pine had left with fear and resignation carved onto their faces. I was certain mine looked the same.

 

    They would follow their Pack Leader to death. They would do what ever he decided.

 

    There had to be someone who would challenge him before he destroyed everyone’s way of life here and destroyed lots of lives as well.

 

    Even wolves back in the Human World challenged pack leaders and often challenged each other for various reasons.

 

    I was frustrated and afraid. I feared for my Wolf Children.

 

    What was Mr. Black thinking? Was the promise of moving up in the Pack Hierarchy so powerful of a lure he’d willingly go to war with other Packs and risk his Wolf Children’s lives?

 

    It seemed the answer was yes.

 

    I glanced out the kitchen window again. The grey light was quickly being replaced by the brightness of the rising sun. The Wolf People village looked peaceful and beautiful.

 

    There were Wolf People out and about as always. Some in their Human Form, some in their Wolf Form.

 

   Then I saw Mr. Black, Mr. Brown, Mr. Stalker, the Pack Leader and several other male Wolf People walk into view.

 

    They were having a very intense conversation. I noticed several Wolf People give them worried looks.

 

    I knew many of the Wolf People were concerned about these rumors of war. Some even frightened by it.

 

    I hoped some doubted their Pack Leader’s sanity.

 

    I was!

 

    I watched the group of males talking as they walked very slowly toward the center of the village.

 

    A couple male Wolf People joined them. They looked very unhappy. It was obvious the Pack Leader wasn’t going to let them talk.

 

    No doubt they were against the Pack Leader’s war.

 

    Mr. Black and Mr. Stalker looked as if they were displeased as the Pack Leader clearly told the two male Wolf People to move on. He didn’t want to hear what they had to say. Mr. Brown as well as the other male Wolf People in the group kept their faces neutral.

 

    Perhaps they were the smartest. It probably wouldn’t be a good thing to have the Pack Leader against you.

 

    As I continued to watch their little private discussion went on as they slowly reached the center of the village.

 

    At that point I turned away from the kitchen window. I felt it would be a while before Mr. Black returned.

 

    I went into the bedroom to be with my Wolf Children.

 

    Armand was awake. The twins were still sleeping. Armand had his arms raised as soon as he saw me enter the room eager to be out of his bed. I lifted him out of his bed.

 

    Mr. Black and I had talked a little about having two rooms added onto our house for our Wolf Children. Armand was old enough now to have his own room and Miss Starfire and Mr. Hunter would soon need theirs.

 

    I sighed as I sat Armand on the bed and got out his wooden box of shapes for him to play with.

 

    There were several new ones in the group made by Mr. Stalker. More defined shapes of wolves he’d carved out of deer antlers. Armand loved these wolf shaped ones a lot. Perhaps because they were wolves.

 

    I sighed, feeling fear and worry churning inside me. I hated this threat of a Wolf People war which would interrupt our lives. Just when Mr. Black and I were getting on with our life together, discussing about adding a couple new rooms to our house for Armand and the twins. Such a normal thing for a family to talk about.

 

    The Wolf People were superb carpenters and could have very strong; sturdy rooms built in no time at all.

 

    I was learning how to make fabric out of deer and elk hides as well as learning how to sew. I was sitting on the bed working on sewing a blanket when Mr. Black finally returned.

 

    I put down the blanket I had been working on. I wasn’t good enough at sewing yet to do clothes but I was getting there.

 

    Mr. Black strode into the room. He had a grim look on his face until his off white eyes lit on me.

 

    Then a smile broke out on his face. “My salvation.” He moaned as he pulled me into a tight hug.

 

    “Da Da.” Armand said when he saw him.

 

    “He said Daddy!” I cried excited at hearing Armand’s first word. I turned my head to look at Armand. He was standing up on the bed holding his arms out. “He’s standing too! The first time on his own!” I was laughing with happiness and so was Mr. Black.

 

    We both went to Armand and Mr. Black swept him up in a big hug. “My son! My wonderful son!”

 

    Armand laughed, thrilled at all this sudden and wonderful attention.

 

    All this commotion woke up Miss Starfire and Mr. Hunter. They started making small little sounds as if talking to each other.

 

    “You’re wonderful Armand.” I said giving him a quick kiss on the nose then I went to check on the twins. I was relieved to see they were fine, not distressed at all.

 

    Smiling still, I sat down on the bed. Mr. Black sat as well, Armand on his lap.

 

    I hated this happy carefree family moment to end but if the Pack Leader’s War happened we’d have no more happy carefree family moments at all.

 

    “Well, Mr. Black, what’s the progress of all your war planning?” I blurted out.

 

    The light went out in Mr. Black’s facial expression and that grim look was back. He looked at me.

 

    “I think this is a good time to tell you the truth.”

 

    “Oh?” I said, surprised. I wasn’t expecting to hear him say anything like that. “What is the truth?” For some reason I felt nervous as I waited, afraid I would hear something awful.

 

    “The truth is Louise there will be no war.”

 

    “What?” I cried shocked. “The Pack Leader changed his mind? I can’t believe it!”

 

    “Don’t believe that because the Pack Leader hasn’t changed his mind.”

 

    “Then what’s stopping it?” I asked, too confused to think clearly now.

 

    “I, Mr. Stalker, Mr. Brown and several others are going to stop the Pack Leader. Decapitation. We have all agreed we feel he has become unfit to be Pack Leader any longer.”

 

    I was stunned beyond belief. My head swirled. I didn’t know what to think. But I knew beyond all doubt I was feeling very profound relief knowing that the war was not going to be happening after all.

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2009 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well, things are not going to get so Dark after all. Mr. Black to the rescue, just as it should be. Fascinating story. Fascinating group of people (Wolf People)!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. What a relief is right. Must read on now to see what happens next.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Tina said it perfectly "What a relief" is right. Now if they do go ahead with the decapitation who will take over as pack leader? Mr Black possibly? Hmm on to the next chapter.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a relief!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like it alot, Thought this one was amazing, very well written and full of wonderful detail and imagery.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

584 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 6, 2009


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 23 Chapter 23

A Chapter by Tina Kline