Chapter 15

Chapter 15

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

Louise realizes too late she's made a terrible mistake.

"

    Mr. Black was stunned. So was everyone close enough to hear that were listening. Well, not everyone. Miss Snow, Pine and a few others who knew I’d talked to the traitor.

    Mr. Black’s off white eyes flashed crimson with his sudden anger.

    “You talked to the traitor?” Mr. Black asked me with a growl.

    “I did. He’s not totally guilty.” I said.

    Mr. Black’s growl grew louder. His eyes stayed crimson.

    Out of the corner of my eye I noticed Miss Snow, Pine and several other Wolf People backing away.

    Suddenly I was feeling worried. I’d thought I had a clear cut case. Save Michar who had a good reason for doing what he did. Not that he didn’t deserve some sort of punishment, just not death.

    Mr. Stalker still stood behind Mr. Black. He looked angry as well but he wasn’t growling. His leader was doing that.

    I glanced to where Mr. Stonevalley and Cerise and their Wolf People were. They were moving away as well.

    Cerise sent me a sympathetic look.

    I was starting to realize I’d done something I was going to dearly regret.

    “Louise.” Growled Mr. Black. “Inside.”

    Without a word I turned and went into our house. I walked slowly, not too slow, with my head held high. I wasn’t going to look like I was scared or concerned.

    Mr. Black was right behind me.

    Mr. Stalker went off with the other Wolf People who had gathered. I could hear their excited chatter as the group that had been around the house moved away.

    I was relieved the excited chatter had nothing to do with me. No doubt no one was really concerned.

    Just those who had been close by could easily have picked up on the fact Mr. Black wasn’t too pleased with me.

    The excited chatter going on was talk about their Pack Leader’s return from the Human World and the other Pack Leader and his people’s return. All was well with the Packs right at this moment.

     The Wolf People wanted a celebration. One that included the execution of the traitor.

    Poor Miss Snow, I thought. Poor me, maybe. I added as I entered the house and sat on the couch.

    Armand and the twins were still asleep. I was grateful for that.

    Mr. Black quietly shut the door behind him and stood in front of me.

    “I’m very displeased with you Louise. Very displeased. Going to talk to the traitor, our prisoner, who is to suffer his punishment. My Mate, Mate to the Pack Leader, has no business befriending our enemy.” His eyes were narrow, his lips pulled back slightly with an angry snarling look.

    “He had a reason. I just wanted to know why.”

    “What difference does it make?” His hands were clenched into angry fists.

    “To prevent such acts in the future.” I said.

    Mr. Black stared at me with surprise. Then he threw back his head and laughed. And laughed. And laughed.

    I watched him with my own surprise.

    He kept laughing. He plopped down on the couch beside me, still laughing.

    My surprise grew. I wasn’t expecting him to behave this way.

    He was laughing so much he started gasping for breath.

    I felt laughter bubbling inside me. Hysterical laughter. This whole situation felt like a moment of madness.

    “My sweet.” Mr. Black finally gasped. “You’re a Wolf Person with very Unwolf People like ideas.”

    I smiled. He wasn’t mad at the moment at least. I let a little of my crazed laughter escape in a giggle.

    I heard Armand mumble in his sleep but he didn’t wake.

    “Well, then, what do you think?” I asked.

    His lingering laughter ended in a second. “I’m not comfortable with changing our traditions.” He said.

    I felt my concern for Miss Snow flare even higher. She would be very hurt if Michar was executed.

    If only I hadn’t gone to see Michar in the first place. Miss Snow wouldn’t have met him and fallen for him.

    Mr. Black and I would be out with the Pack celebrating his successful return instead of sitting in here with him angry with me.

    I heaved a big sigh.

    Mr. Black did too. “It matters not why the traitor did what he did. Wolf People come first. Wolf People obey their leader. If they are not satisfied with their leader they can challenge their leader. As I did.”

    I looked at Mr. Black and looked down. It felt unfair, so unfair. Michar’s Mate was ganged raped and killed and it didn’t seem to matter to anyone.

    Because she had been female. Males were top here. Females didn’t matter.

    I felt a sting of anger. How unfair. It shouldn’t be this way. Wolf People traditions needed to change.

    But what could I do? How could I prevent Michar’s death?

    Mr. Black stood. “It’s time to finish this and get on with all our lives. Maple will stay with our Wolf Children while we’re at the celebration.”

     “You’re going to execute Michar?”

    “The Pack will decide. It will be put to a vote.”

    I stood there. “Are you going to explain why Michar did what he did?”

    Mr. Black growled. “You go too far, my sweet Mate. I am going to need to teach you your place.”

    I gasped with outrage! Him, Mr. Black! Teach me my place?

    Before I could say anything Mr. Black’s hand snaked out and grabbed my wrist. He yanked me toward him.

    He put his face inches from mine. “I am the Pack Leader. You are my Mate. Second to me. You will never be first, never! You do not make the decisions. I do!”

    I felt like bursting into tears. I held them back with effort.

    “We go now, my dear, and celebrate. I will fill you in on what happened in the Human World. I will ask the Pack to vote for his fate. What they decide will be.”

    I felt awful. I followed Mr. Black outside. Maple was waiting.

    “Thanks Maple for watching our Wolf Children.” Mr. Black said to her.

    “I am happy to.” Maple looked at me. “Hi Louise.”

    I forced a smile. “Thanks Maple.”

    “Come on.” Mr. Black pulled me along. We headed to the center of the village. I saw the Wolf People all gathered.

    They parted for Mr. Black and I and we walked to the center. I looked around. Everyone was excited, eager to see the traitor dead and for the celebration to begin.

    “Let the traitor be brought forth!” Mr. Black called.

    I felt sick.

 



© 2009 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I hope there's more to come. Mr. Black's not listening to her now, but I have a feeling Louise will over step her boundaries again to prove her point. She has her values and I don't see her conforming to the wolf people's tradition of men being superior. I want to read more. A really great story.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

As Louise discovered, sometimes trying to do good ends up doing worse harm in the end but its always worth trying. This is a very well written, suspenseful story, a real page turner.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mr. Black is quite the character. I'm hoping he'll listen to Louise when it really counts. Don't want the traitor to die.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I hope there's more to come. Mr. Black's not listening to her now, but I have a feeling Louise will over step her boundaries again to prove her point. She has her values and I don't see her conforming to the wolf people's tradition of men being superior. I want to read more. A really great story.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I believe we must pay for our deeds and sins sooner or later. Men with no desire to protect or are heartless need to be treated with same acts as they caused. A outstanding story. Thank you for sharing.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well I must say this is proving again to be one of the best werewolf stories i've read. Nice work.

I'm not surprise Mr. Black didn't listen to Louise. He's kind of sexist in my opinion.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow! I think i like this chapter the best so far. So much in this write. I like the drama and action. It's very well written.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

587 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 29, 2009
Last Updated on December 29, 2009


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 12 Chapter 12

A Chapter by Tina Kline