Chapter 16

Chapter 16

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

The Wolf People decide the traitor's fate.

"

    Michar was brought into the circle. He was led by two male Wolf People, each one held onto one of Michar’s arms.

    He didn’t struggle. He didn’t make any sound. His head was down, his white hair half concealing his face.

    They brought Michar to a halt in front of Mr. Black and myself.

    Mr. Stalker came and stood beside Mr. Black.

    Several male Wolf People started snarling and growling. Several shape shifted. They stood there in their Wolf Forms, hair on end, lips pulled back, exposing their white sharp teeth, ears back and head lowered.

    I looked at Michar as he stood before us being held by two Wolf People. He was silent and unmoving. No doubt he knew his fate and had already accepted it.

    What could I do? I had to do something. I couldn’t let him die!

    I felt panic swell up in me.

    I glanced around.

    I spotted Miss Snow. Her face was wet with her tears. She was sobbing. Her whole body trembled with her sobs.

    I felt her hurt in me. I felt her desperation.

    Pine was with her, her arm around Miss Snow’s waist, supporting her and giving what comfort she could.

    More male Wolf People were changing into their Wolf Forms. Their growling and snarling was loud on the air.

    Several female Wolf People were watching Miss Snow, wondering. It wouldn’t take much for them to figure out and understand why she was crying. Some of their curious looks turned to sympathy.

    “This is the traitor who brought humans into our world to kill some of our own!” Mr. Black’s voice boomed out.

    There was hissing and angry cries at this.

    I felt myself trembling. I couldn’t let this happen. I had to think of a way to stop it.

    I suddenly felt Mr. Black’s tight grip on my upper arm. I was afraid he was reading my thoughts again. But I couldn’t concentrate on blocking my thoughts; I was in a wild panic!

    I couldn’t let Michar die. He didn’t deserve death.

    “We are to decide his punishment. Mr. Stronevalley and his Mate and several Pack Members are present to help decide his fate. As you all know, his Pack lost Members to this traitor’s betrayal as well.”

    More hissing and shouts. A howling was filling the air as well as more growling and snarling.

    The Wolf People were angry, were outraged and ready to kill.

    Should I scream? Jump up and down screaming and yelling? Would me doing that make any difference?

    Should I shout out the truth? Why Michar had done what he did?

    A quick glance at Miss Snow and I knew I had to do something. She had her face in her hands, sobbing; her whole body shook violently with her sobs.

    Pine was still with her, but helpless to do anything.

    Michar was going to die. The Pack was ready to tear him apart. All the Wolf People here were.

    I took a deep breath. I had to try.

    Mr. Black gave me a savage jerk!

    He was reading my mind! I let out my breath. I felt defeated. I felt a failure. I couldn’t look at Miss Snow or at Michar anymore.

    It was over.

    “We will vote as is Wolf People Tradition. The Pack and the Wolf People visitors will decide this traitor’s punishment.” Mr. Black said to the crowd.

    I closed my eyes tight, feeling my own tears of regret and frustration squeeze through.

    “When you make your decision there is one thing I want you all to take into consideration.” Mr. Black went on to say.

    What?

    My eyes flew open in surprise.

    The howling, growling, snarling and excited voices went down a couple notches in volume. Everyone was suddenly listening closely to Mr. Black.  Probably just as surprised by this turn from tradition as I was.

    Mr. Black quickly explained the circumstances behind Michar’s reasons for doing what he had done.

    I was shocked! Stunned! Mr. Black was actually explaining the traitor’s behavior. A very unWolf People like behavior. I felt a bit lightheaded now!

    The Wolf People grew silent for a moment or two. They were probably just as stunned as I was.

    I looked at Miss Snow again.

    She had hope on her face again. Hope and awe.

    The muttering started in the Wolf People crowd, a low rumble that quickly grew.

    “Listen!” called out Mr. Black. “It is time to vote. You know the facts. What will the traitor’s punishment be? Death or Lesser Punishment?” He threw his hands up in the air and brought them swiftly down. “Decide!”

    And a great shouting and howling started. I saw quite a few of the Wolf People in their Wolf Forms shape shift back to their Human Forms so they could vote.

    And through all the howling and shouting I started to pick up the words that were the Wolf People’s verdict for Michar.

    I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I felt even more light headed. Mr. Black put his arm around my waist to hold me up.

    Miss Snow was shockingly pale with a look of disbelief on her face.

    And the words that were the Pack’s verdict rose up loudly on the air.

    “Lesser Punishment! Lesser Punishment! Lesser Punishment!” Their cry rang out.

    The Wolf People had chosen!

    Michar would not die! But he would still be punished.

    Mr. Black and the rest of the Wolf People here had just gone against Wolf People tradition!

    I felt proud of them all. They had chosen not to kill.

    “Lesser Punishment it is!” called out Mr. Black.

    At that moment Michar looked up. His silver eyes shone with disbelief. He was not going to die.

    I heard Miss Snow laughing and crying at the same time with her relief.

    I felt certain I was going to pass out I was so relieved. I had made a difference and Michar wasn’t going to die.

    Mr. Black’s decision to explain the circumstance had also helped make the difference.

    And the Wolf People were wise enough and compassionate enough to choose Lesser Punishment.

   And now Michar was about to endure his Lesser Punishment.

   

 



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a relief. Mr Black has a heart after all. Louise seems to be changing the ways of the wolf people without them even knowing it. I hope Michar and Miss Snow can now have a chance to be happy together. One obstacle down curious as to see what will come their way next. Great chapter.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Louise sure got a big surprise! Readers might not have seen that change of events coming, I didn't. Now what will be his punishment?

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michar is going to survive. Good.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this chapter I agree with Theresa on this one. I like this full of wonderful detail which made the story. Very well written

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

And so my opinion of Mr. Black changes once again. To be honest I knew this was going to happen.

This was very gripping and a wonderful idea the whole way through.
Very Nice work!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a relief. Mr Black has a heart after all. Louise seems to be changing the ways of the wolf people without them even knowing it. I hope Michar and Miss Snow can now have a chance to be happy together. One obstacle down curious as to see what will come their way next. Great chapter.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

615 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 8, 2010
Last Updated on January 8, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 8 Chapter 8

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 12 Chapter 12

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 23 Chapter 23

A Chapter by Tina Kline