Chapter 20

Chapter 20

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

While dealing with family life Louise's thoughts turn to Michar and his fate.

"

    I awoke with a start, realizing in a panic I hadn’t put Armand and the twins to bed. I abruptly sat up, making a little distressed cry.

   “What is it, my sweetie?” Mr. Black asked, sitting up beside me.

    “I didn’t put our Wolf Children to bed.” Some time had passed since Mr. Black had taught me my proper place.

    “I took care of them. I put Miss Starfire and Mr. Hunter to bed in their room.”

    I turned to look at him. “You put them in their beds?”

    “Yes.”

    “Oh.” I smiled a little. “Did they take to them okay?”

    “They fell asleep right away. They don’t need to sleep in our room in their baby bed anymore.”

    I smiled more. “They are growing fast.”

    “Indeed.” Mr. Black said. “I hope you liked my first lesson Louise. It’s not the last. You need to learn how to behave like a proper Mate to the Pack Leader.”

    I stiffened at that. Why did he have to bring that unpleasant subject up as soon as I woke?

    I frowned and looked away from him. “Maybe you and this Pack need to change. Improve.”

    Mr. Black laughed. “This Pack is just fine.”

    “Is it?” I turned to look hard at him. “If it was so just fine why did you challenge the former Pack Leader?”

    Mr. Black laughed again then growled. “Alright, Miss Bright. You’re just a little too smart for yourself, aren’t you?”

    “That’s a nice compliment.” I said with a forced smile.

    “How do you know I meant it as one?”

    “I take it as a compliment no matter how you meant it.”

    Mr. Black growled again and slid out of bed. “I only hope our Wolf Children are as bright as you are, my sweet Miss Bright.”

    “How nice. I hope they are too. Free thinking, willing to change when it’s called for.”

    I watched him walk to the bedroom door. “Don’t think you can change Wolf People traditions, Miss Bright.” He left. I heard him go into the bathroom.

    I chuckled a little. Changing Wolf People traditions, at least with my Pack, was what needed to be done.

    Mr. Black came out of the bathroom and headed for the kitchen. “I’ll make our meals now.”

   “Okay.” I jumped out of bed and looked in on Miss Starfire and Mr. Hunter.

    I smiled at the sight of them still asleep in their beds. Yes, I thought pleased; they were ready for their beds.

    While Mr. Black prepared our meal of cubed raw freshly killed elk meat I took a quick shower.

     As I emerged from the bathroom feeling ready to start the day I saw Armand was awake.

    “Mama!” Armand ran to me. I saw he had something in his hand. And it wasn’t one of his wolf shapes. “I made another kill!” His silver blue eyes shone and his smile was wide.

    “You made another kill, honey?” I asked, surprised.

    “Yes! Yes!” He held out his hand.

    In it was one of those creepy green insects. Beheaded.

    I laughed. “Why Armand! I’m so proud of you!” I pulled him into my arms to give him a big hug making sure the hand with his kill in it was far away from me as possible.

    Armand giggled. “You’re proud of me Mama? I did it all by myself just like you taught me.”

    “I’m very proud of you. I’m hugely proud of you!”

    Armand beamed with pride. “Daddy!”

    Mr. Black came out of the kitchen to see what was going on.

    I let Armand go and he rushed the short distance to show Mr. Black his kill.

    “What do you have there, my Wolf Son?”

    “My second kill!” Armand held the dead headless bug up to his father.

   “I’m proud of you. Your second kill. You’re going to be a Number One Pack Hunter!”

   Armand could hardly contain himself with all the praise we were giving him. He couldn’t stand still. He was almost dancing around the room holding his kill before him.

    I almost told him to calm down but didn’t. I wanted him to feel we were proud of him and his efforts, which we were. I wanted to fill him with self confidence, wanted him to be proud of himself and always feel good about himself.

    “Take care of your kill Armand. Then clean up. It’s almost time for our meal.” I told him.

    “Okay Mama.” He rushed out into the dark to bury his kill.

    I went to get Miss Starfire and Mr. Hunter up. As I did I had my senses fully open to keep track of what Armand was doing and what was going on all around him.

    No way did I want him to stray from the house. Wolf Children were rare and I didn’t want anything to befall him. He was busy burying his kill right outside the door.

    In no time at all he was back inside again.

    Miss Starfire and Mr. Hunter woke easily and I led them into the kitchen and put them in their chairs.

    The twins were starting to eat meat that was softened by pounding it with a heavy smooth stone.

    Armand climbed onto his chair and showed me his hands were clean. I detected no signs of the ugly green bug’s body juices on them.

    Mr. Black set softened meat in front of the twins and a large wooded bowl in the center of the table filled with cubed raw meat. Everyone had a glass of fresh cold water to drink and Mr. Black set a pitcher of cold water on the table for refills.

    I, Armand and Mr. Black helped ourselves to as much meat as we wanted. As I ate I wondered about Michar. Surely he was healed from the assault by the male Pack Members by now.

    If he returned would my Pack accept him? I looked at Mr. Black. He was watching me intently. I blocked my thoughts but I saw by the look in his off white eyes he’d been reading my mind.

    He smiled slowly at me. He looked really attractive to me when he did that. “Why don’t you just ask me Louise?”

    “I’m sure accepting Michar would go against Pack Tradition.” I said.

    “Perhaps not.” Replied Mr. Black and he popped a cubed piece of raw meat into his mouth and started chewing it.

    We continued eating in silence and I kept thinking about Michar’s fate, but blocking my thoughts now.

    Perhaps I was thinking about him a little too much and not thinking about Mr. Black and his lessons. Which is what I probably should have been thinking about. That and changing Pack Traditions.

   

   

   



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Armand sure is cute, I like that little Wolf Boy a lot! So, I wonder what is going to happen to Michar, will he and Miss Snow be Mates?

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I sure like Armand, he's so cute. I'm enjoying this book very much.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mr Black's response makes me think he is open to letting Michar into the pack. Armand is cuter then ever. I smile everytime I read about him. Great chapter.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Awesome chapter here. I like this, I thought it held quite the imagery and detail. Very well written.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

514 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 12, 2010
Last Updated on January 12, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sleep now. Sleep now.

A Poem by Mimi


A Challenge. A Challenge.

A Poem by Emily?