Chapter 23

Chapter 23

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

Louise realizes she is going to have to make a difficult decision.

"

 

    I stood up. “How dare you Miss Rose!”

    She looked up at me in surprise. “What do you mean?”

    I wasn’t sure myself what I meant. Miss Snow’s face was whiter than her hair. She almost seemed in shock. Perhaps after hearing that message she was.

    I knew I had to get her back to our Village.

    “Come on Pine. Let’s get Miss Snow out of here.”

    “Good idea.” Agreed Pine. She looked a little shaken by Miss Roses’ news just as I was but Miss Snow was devastated.

    Miss Rose quickly stood. “Aren’t you going to thank me for giving you Michar’s message?”

    I curled my lips back at her exposing my canines.

    She just laughed.

    I hated Miss Rose more than I had ever hated her before. She seemed cold and very cruel to me now.

    “Come on Pine.” I said. I took hold of Miss Snow under her arm on one side of her and Pine did the same on the other side. We started to pull her to her feet.

    She came out of her shock a little bit then and managed to stand on her own.

    “Are we going to go rescue Michar now?” Miss Snow asked not looking at anyone.

    “No, Miss Snow. We’re going back to our Village.” I took her by the hand half expecting her to yank hers away. I was glad she didn’t.

    A cool breeze blew off of Lake of the Otters. A single loon called. Its voice sounded sad, as sad as we were feeling at this moment except for Miss Rose.

    I led Miss Snow across the soft sandy grey beach wishing for a moment I could collect some of those shiny rocks of different shapes and sizes. They looked glass like and I knew my Wolf Children would love them.

    Then I wondered why I was thinking such things when Miss Snow was having such an awful crisis?

    I felt like I was going crazy for a moment and wanted to laugh. Let my laugh sound as crazy as that loon’s cry sounded.

    As if in response to my thoughts two loons called out their strange call into the moon splashed darkness.

     Miss Snow started crying softly as I led her back into the forest away from the lake.

     Pine was right there with us. Miss Rose was behind and I wondered why she was still with us.

    “We have to help Michar.” Miss Snow said in a thin weak voice.

    “Later.” I said, feeling guilty at sounding so harsh.

    “We’ll help him Miss Snow.” Pine said trying to reassure her.

    “You will?”

    “Mr. Black will fix this.” Pine told her.

    “Yes. Mr. Black will fix this. He’ll rescue Michar. He already took his punishment.” Miss Snow said. “Right Louise?”

    A really sick feeling washed over me at Miss Snow’s question. It was actually more belief than a question.

    I had no faith Mr. Black would rescue Michar. And dare I ask him to do anything that wasn’t part of Pack Tradition again? Teaching me my place a second time might not be so enjoyable.

    I didn’t know what to say to Miss Snow. I was feeling trapped suddenly. I wanted to lead an army of Wolf People to tear apart Miss Rose’s Pack for taking Michar with the intent to kill him. Michar had already been punished for what he had done.

    It was not right at all he be punished a second time. And this other Pack had no members killed by the human’s Michar had brought into our world.

    Miss Snow was too weak from her shock to ask her to shape shift into her Wolf Form so we walked through the Douglas Fir and Broadleaf Maple forest back to our Village.

   A warm breeze rustled the canopy overhead. Several Wolf People were nearby in the forest in their Wolf Forms howling together. In the far distance two coyotes sang.

    Miss Rose was still behind us. I turned in a rage to face her.

    “What are you doing?” I snarled at her.

    She stopped walking and smiled. “Calm down Louise.”

    “You know you’re too close to our Village. You’re asking for your death.” Did I really care if she was decapitated? I didn’t want to think about if I really was or not. She knew she wasn’t suppose to get close to the Village and that would be her fate if she were caught doing so.

    “Do you care?” Miss Rose asked.

    I growled at her. “No!”

    She laughed. “I don’t believe you.”

    “Fine.” I turned away from her. “I don’t care if you manage to get your head separated from your body.”

    I started walking. Miss Snow was slowly recovering. She started walking without my and Pine’s help now.

   “Get out of here Miss Rose.” said Pine. “You’re nothing but trouble.”

    “I am?”

   “Yes. You told us about Michar. You did as he asked. What do you want from us now?”

    “Probably thinks we’ll get her back in the Pack.” I said, my voice mocking.

    “Some thanks I get from my former friends.” Miss Rose said.

    “That’s right.” I said. “Former.

    Miss Rose made a loud sound of disgust then turned away. “I’ll tell Michar I talked to you.” Then she shape shifted into her coal black Wolf Form and rapidly melted into the shadowy forest.

    “Good. She left.” Said Pine.

    “Let’s hurry back. Miss Snow needs to rest.” I said.

    We started walking again. It wasn’t long after that we reached our Village. It was a relief to be back here.

    I wanted to forget Michar’s new trouble but I couldn’t. Miss Snow stood there looking at me.

    “You will talk to Mr. Black?” She asked, anxious and desperate about Michar all over again.

    I didn’t want to answer. I didn’t want to be forced into a lie.

    “Take her home Pine.” I said. “I’m going home to talk to Mr. Black.

    Miss Snow smiled and went willingly with Pine. I sighed. I hadn’t said I was going to talk to Mr. Black about Michar.

    What a mess.

 



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Louise to the rescue. A lot seems to end up resting on her shoulders. Perhaps she thrives on this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Poor Miss Snow. Things sure do seem like a mess now.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The more Miss Rose is in the story the more and more I don't like her. I feel it's not over with her. I hope Mr. Black steps up and does the right thing. Can't wait to read more. I agree with Evan very suspensful.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very interesting. Looking forward to reading more. Great story!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Quite suspensful all of a sudden. I wonder if something will be done about Michar, or if my opinion Mr Black will change again...
Nice work so far.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I like this chapter as well, this is a very well written book. Very enjoyable and very descriptive.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

449 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 13, 2010
Last Updated on January 13, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 16 Chapter 16

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 18 Chapter 18

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 8 Chapter 8

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 7 Chapter 7

A Chapter by Tina Kline