Elemental Witches 3 - Revenge

Elemental Witches 3 - Revenge

A Story by Titin
"

The 4 has now turned into the 5. Another member has joined the pack. What will happen now?

"

Another ‘normal’ day started, well at least it started out normally.  The boys and I were sparring with each other on the beach when we heard Hawks booming voice, “Kids, come in here!”

“Coming,” Mason called back.  We raced into the house with our swords at our waists.  

“What’s up Hawks?” asked Dexter.  As we entered the hut we saw Hawks.  Beside him was a very handsome boy.  He had a blonde spiky hair.  The boy was tall and lanky.  Hmmm… The boys have some competition, I thought.  

“Hey everyone, I’d like you to meet Lucas,” introduced Hawks.

“Hi guys!” said Lucas with an English accent.

“Hey Lucas,” greeted Christopher, “I’m Christopher, the spikes is Mason.  Prince Charming over there is Dexter and the girl is Isabelle.” 

“Nice to meet you all.”

“Hey Hawks, is this your nephew?” I asked.

“No, this is your new team member.” Said Hawks coolly.

“What?!!!” we exclaimed.  “No offense to you, Lucas” I added quickly.  Lucas made a hand gesture that I took as: no worries.

“You disagree?” ask Hawks.

“No, but you should’ve told us earlier.  You can’t just drop a bomb on us like that!  I could’ve died of a heart attack!” I said.

“It was supposed to be a surprise.  Boys, try to calm Isabelle down while I organize the dinner as a welcoming gift for Lucas.”  

“Okay Hawks, but can we prepare dinner? Please.  All we want is an edible feast,” mocked Mason.  Hawks grunted in response.  

When everyone finished eating, Hawks made a toast, “To the newest member of our family, Lucas.”  

“I would like to say something,” I started, “I’m sorry that I did not take the news very well.  It’s not that I don’t want you here, Lucas.  I was just surprised and I want to welcome you to our team and family.  I hope you like our family and know that we will always have your back.  Cheers.”

“Thank you, Isabelle,” responded Lucas.

“Alright kids, it’s bedtime.  Your training starts tomorrow.  I want you all to help Lucas.  He is already registered into your school.  Teach him how to blend in with the crowd,” said Hawks.

“Hawks, we don’t blend in with the crowd.  We never did.  How can we with these freaky highlights?” joked Dexter.

“What are we going to do now?” said Lucas sounding concerned.

“Don’t worry dude, he’s just messing with you.  In my opinion, we’re the coolest kids in school! You’re going to be fine with us,” comforted Mason.  



“Hello everybody!” said our homeroom teacher, Mr. Brown, “We have a new student today.  Lucas why don’t you come up here and introduce yourself.”

“Hello, my name is Lucas,” introduced Lucas.  He didn’t seem shy, on the other hand, he was actually very confident.  It seemed that most of the girls in the classroom flushed when they heard his English accent.  I shook my head in quiet laughter. When Lucas flashed his brilliant smile, the girls in the room started whispering to each other.  I could hear their unspoken words.  

  At break, we sat at our usual table.  I was munching on a ripe apple while the boys were eating their stone-like muffins that Hawks packed for them.  

“What do you have next Lucas?” asked Mason.

“I don’t know.  Let me check.  Oh yes, I have science next,” answered Lucas.

“That’s with me,” I said. “Oh and the teacher is Mr. Fungist ok? Not fungus.  He’ll kill you if you get his name wrong.”

“Cool,” said Lucas.  “I have to head up to Mr. Fungus’s class early,” I raised an eyebrow, “I mean Mr. Fungist.  He’s going to give me the science books.  Cheerios.”

“Do you know the room?”

“I think so.  If I get lost, I’ll ask a janitor.  They’re always more helpful than students.”  With that Lucas raced off to class.  I turned to the rest of the boys and smiled deviously at them. 

“What?!!!” asked Christopher.

“Nothing.  It’s just that I’ve noticed, you have a little bit of competition,” I answered casually.

“What? He’s the new boy.  How can he be our competition?” said Dexter.

“Mmmhmm..  Sure.  Who would love spiky blonde hair, deep blue eyes and a charming British accent?”

“Do you like him?” mocked Mason.

“Hmph,” was all I said.  

“Is that a yes?” asked a confused Mason.  

“That’s for me to know and for you to ponder on.” I answered, “Goodbye, see you in Maths.”

“So is that a yes?” called Mason.  I just waved my hand.  

“How was your day kids?” asked Hawks.

“Fine,” Dexter, Mason, Christopher and I chorused.

“How was your first day of school, Lucas?”

“It was quite OK,” said Lucas, “Science was weird, I mean why do we have to learn how to pronounce the word fungus.  Maths was great, English was cool too.  Overall it was great.”

“No trouble?”

“Nope.”

“If you don’t count the part where he made practically every girl in the grade go wild.  They stared at him with their jaws open,” I added.  

“I expected as much.” Then, Hawks trudged into the kitchen muttering something that sounded suspiciously like girls.



We spent the Saturday morning training.  As usual we had to wake up early in the morning to do some laps around the beach.  

“Isabelle, help Lucas with sparring.  Dexter help Lucas with bow shooting.  Oh I forgot.  Lucas what are your powers?” said Hawks.

“Uhmm.. Mom says that it’s fire and water,” informed Lucas.  

“Okay, Isabelle, help with the fire part and Dexter help with water.  Mason you’re Isabelle’s assistant.  Christopher, you’re Dexter’s.  Now let’s get rocking. “

“Spar or magic?” I asked.

“Spar,” answered Dexter.

“So Dex, do you want Luke first?”

“It’s okay.  He’s all yours,”

“Okay.  Come on.  Let’s go.  Luke get your wooden sword.  We only practice with our wooden blades.”

“But we wont get used to the weight of our real blade,” said Lucas.

“That is true but Hawks has made ones that are miraculously the same mass as our own blades so you have nothing to worry about.”

“OK,” Luke agreed quietly.

“Okay Luke now I want you to spar with Mason.  You have to fight with everything you know.  Every skill, every technique.  Bring it all out.  Are we clear?”

“Yes, ma’am,” said Lucas.  Mason hid his chuckle by disguising it with a cough

“There will be no ma’am, misses or mistress when I’m here, clear?” 

“Yes, ma’am. I mean sir,” Mason couldn’t hide his laughter anymore.  He fell to the ground, rolling in laughter.  I rolled my eyes and joined Mason with the maniacal laughter fest.  Soon, Lucas realized his leg was being pulled but he shrugged it off.

“Let’s get serious.  Get into positions,” I shouted as I sat down on the soft white sand.  Mason and Lucas stood facing each other.  Their eyes never quavering.  They circled each other like hungry wolves.  Then, they leapt forward.  Their swords clashed.  It was a flash of action. They were leaping, ducking.  Lucas blocked some of Mason’s blows but soon Lucas’s sword was in Mason’s hand. 

“Lucas, do you have enough energy to spar with me?” I asked.

“Sure, Izzy,” answered Lucas with a smile.  

“Let’s go.”  My sword started flying and soon my sword was at his throat and Lucas was unarmed.  I lowered my sword and handed him his. Then, I turned to Mason.  “Hey Maz, what did you notice in his sparring?”

“It didn’t feel right.  I don’t know but it just didn’t feel right,” replied Mason.

“Yes, I felt that too.  Lucas, you think too much when you spar.  When you think, you hesitate.  Those split seconds of hesitation might not sound a lot to you but when you’re protecting yourself, those split seconds are all you need.  This time, spar with Mason with your instincts and NOT your brain.  Let’s go.”  This time, there was an obvious improvement.  This time it took much longer for Mason to disarm Lucas.

“Cool!” I said. “Now you’re Dexter’s.  Don’t try to get on his nerves.  He might even decide to put an arrow through you.”  With a smile, Lucas left.  Christopher, ran over to where Mason and I were sitting.  

“So how did he do?” asked Christopher.

“Good for a new-by,” said Mason.  

“How long do you think it will take until Dexter tries to put an arrow through him?” I said.

“I bet ten minutes for three bucks,” called Chris.

“Below ten,” called Mason.

“Deal.”

“I’m in too, on Mason’s side,” I said.  Not long after that, Christopher both owed us three bucks and Dexter spent his afternoon hunting down Lucas with a bow in his hands while saying,

“That guy is going to die!” or , “I’m going to put an arrow through that guy!”  Soon the anger died down and as usual we had a quiet and inedible dinner so when Hawks left the kitchen we all made ourselves an omelet each.

The Christmas holidays came in a blink of an eye.  Our little house was filled with ribbons and bells.  Our living room now contains a fairly large tree that was very colorful.  We were all having the Christmas dinner inside our little house.  Thankfully, Dexter and I were the ones who cooked and not Hawks so our dinner was pleasant.  We had a little ‘Secret Santa’ game.  Earlier in the week, Hawks wrote all of our names, including his, into little pieces of paper.  Then, we took turns picking names from the hat.   When we all finished our dinner, we raced to the Christmas tree.  

“I found Mason’s,” called Dexter as he threw it to Mason.

“I found Chris’s!” I shouted.

“I’ve got Dex’s!” said Lucas.  

After we finished finding our gifts we sat in a circle.

“On the count of three, we rip the wrappers into shreds,” said Hawks. “Ready! 1, 2, 3!”  The symphony of paper ripping played but it only lasted for a few seconds.   After a while, everybody got tired so we decided to go to sleep.  When I reached my room I saw Lucas leaning against the mahogany door.  

“Hi, what are you doing here?” I asked.

“Uhmmm… well, may I come in?,” said Lucas as he gestured towards my room.

“Sure, come in,” I opened the door. “So, you haven’t answered my question.  Why are you here?”

“I, well, have something for you,” answered Lucas as he reached into his pocket and retrieved a metal star sequined with diamonds.

“Oh my god, it’s beautiful.  Thank you so much.”  

“It’s supposed to be for your necklace.”

“Oh ok.  I’ll try to put it on.”  I attempted to attach the star several time but they all failed.

“Here let me help you,” Lucas said as he took the star away from me.  He leaned in and took my garnet necklace that I always kept with me.  With intense concentration, Lucas attached the star into my necklace.  “There you go.”

“Thanks Lucas.”  We gave each other a hug.  When we untangled ourselves from each other, there was an awkward pause.  

“So, I’ll see you tomorrow then,” mumbled Lucas.

“Yeah. See ya.”  As Lucas left, I felt very awkward. 

  Because of the Christmas holiday and all, you would expect Hawks to give us some resting time but NO, he didn’t!  We had to wake up at dawn and run laps around the beach.  When we groaned, Hawks said, “Christmas is just an excuse for children to get fat!”  

  After running, we had a little rest.  We gathered around the wooden table and drank some cold coffee.

“I’m finished with my coffee.  I’m going to get more.  I need the energy,” I said.

“Isabelle.  Get me some,” commanded Lucas.

“Yes, Lucas,” I said in a mesmerized tone.  My voice sounded disconnected.  That voice was not mine.  I didn’t say it.  The voice sounded like mine but it wasn’t.  It just wasn’t.  Then, my feet carried me into the house and my hands poured two cups of coffee.


Back at the beach

“What have you done to her?” shouted Mason.

“Nothing,” replied Lucas casually.  “Can’t you see?”

“See what?” asked Christopher curtly.

“Isabelle has chosen her favorite,” answered Lucas with a smile.    Panic and sadness filled the listening boys.

“How could this have happened?” thought Dexter as he started the conversation with Christopher and Mason.

“Bells, has been our best friends since kindergarten!” exclaimed Mason.

“How could she have picked him over us!!!” thought Christopher frantically.

“This can’t be happening!” thought Dexter very quietly.

“That’s not her doing!” defended Mason. “Did you see her eyes when he ordered her to get him a cup of coffee?  Her eyes were blank!!!!  It was like she had no idea what was going on?”  

“Are you sure?” asked Christopher.

“Positive.”

“Ok, tonight we have a meeting in her room.  We need to get some things straight,” announced Dexter.

“Deal,” harmonized Christopher and Mason.

Knock! Knock! I walked towards the door and there I saw Dexter, Mason and Christopher.  They all looked very grim.  

“Who died?” I joked.

“Very funny,” said Dexter as he rolled his eyes.  Something told me he didn’t mean this as a joke.  

“So, what’s up?” I asked.

“Isabelle, we need to get something straight,” said Christopher sternly.

“What?” I asked again, confused.

“What happened to you at the table?” enquired Mason.

“I don’t really know.”

“Then tell us what you do know,” growled Dexter.  My eyes started swelling with tears.  Dexter has never ever ever growled at me before.  

“Come on, why aren’t you telling us?  You used to tell us everything.  Why not tell us know?” His voice gradually raising.

“I can’t exp…” tears streaming down my cheeks.

“WHAT CAN’T YOU TELL ME?” shouting Dexter.  

“Dexter, calm down,” said Mason quietly.

“I am calm,” snapped Dexter now turning to me, “Now tell me Isabelle, why can’t you tell us?  We’re not good enough for you anymore?”

“No,” I croaked through my tears.  Mason wrapped his hand around my shoulders. Glad for the company, I buried my head in his chest.

“Oh wait I think I have another theory,” Dexter continued, “WE’RE NOT YOUR FAVORITE.”

“W-w-what are you talking about?” I asked.

“You should know!  You don’t have to pretend anymore!”  With that I burst into tears.  

“Stop it!” shouted Mason.  “Leave her in peace!”

“Why should I?” shouted Dexter.

“Shut it Dex!  Get out!” said Mason sternly.  Dexter quickly stormed out of the room followed by a confused Christopher.  “It’s okay Isabelle.  He didn’t mean it.  He was just angry.  He thought you liked Lucas better than him.”

“I didn’t mean to do it.  I just did it, I didn’t mean too,”  I croaked.

“It’s okay.  Calm down.  Tomorrow, we would all forget about it.  It would be like it never happened.”  

  Soon my eyes gave up and I fell asleep.


My eyes fluttered open.  The morning light shined dimly through the curtains.  I struggled to sit up but eventually I did.  When I sat up, I saw Mason on the floor, fast asleep.  He looked so peaceful.  I climbed out of bed and sat at Mason’s side.  I refused to walk towards the door.  I refused to walk out that door.  I felt scared.  I refused to leave this room without Mason so I waited for Mason to wake up.  A few minutes later, Mason’s eyes blinked open.  

“Oh hi Is!  Sweet dreams?” greeted Mason.

“Well, at least they weren’t bad,” I mumbled back.  

“Come here.”  I crawled into his embracing arms.  I felt safe and happy again.  The memory of Dexter last night almost faded.  “Ready to go to breakfast?”  I nodded.  We walked down the stairs slowly.  I half hid behind Mason’s back.  I was shaking from head to toe.  “Hey, it’s okay,” Mason whispered and he grabbed my quivering hand.  “Yo, what’s up, Dex?”

“Hi,” I whimpered.  Dexter took one glance at me, then smirked.  After that he left with no other notice.   Tears started swimming in my eyes.  

“Hey look it’s time for breakfast,” Mason exclaimed and yanked at my arm.  We both had a full bowl of cereal.  When we finished, Hawks walked into the room after helping Lucas with his magic training.  Hawks’s sharp eyes spotted my puffy red eyes and wet cheeks.  

“What happened to her?” he mouthed to Mason.  Mason shook his head.  “Ok, Isabelle, after this, go sparring with Dexter okay?”  Tears started streaming down my rosy cheeks again.  Mason banged his head on the table and shook his head in despair.  After that, he frantically pointed his thumbs towards him.  “Ok,” Hawks whispered.  “Change of plans, spar with Mason today.”  I nodded quietly.

Sparring didn’t go very well that day.  I got disarmed five times by Mason.  “What’s wrong with you today?” asked Hawks.  “You used to be one of the best sword fighter I’ve ever taught?  What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” I mumbled, “Let’s keep going.”

“No, Bells,” said Mason, “You need some rest.  We’ve been going on like this for 5 hours!  We need to rest and beside it’s already lunch.”

“Fine.”  After that, we put away our practice swords and took our lunch trays from Christopher.  I didn’t want to sit at the same table with Dexter (mostly because I was scared) so Mason and I sat ourselves on a flat rock on the beach.  We stayed there and watched the sun kiss the horizon goodbye.

“Isabelle! Wake up!” whispered Lucas hoarsely.  My mouthed moved without command,

“Yes, Lucas.”

“Isabelle, I am Lucas Castor and I order you to kidnap Mr. Dean Hawks.”

“Yes, Lucas.”  My feet took me away.  I tried to fight back but my body would not cooperate.  My hand reached for my sword at my bedside.  Then, as stealthy as a cat, I started towards Hawks’s room.  The door was not locked so I crept in.  When I was at Hawks’s bedside, I raised my sword.  No, I must stop.  I need to stop. I thought as I frantically tried to regain power over my incontrollable body.  The sword flashed and before I knew the flat of my blade has struck Hawks on the head.  

“Good Isabelle.  Now bag him,” commanded Lucas.  I bowed and obeyed Lucas.  I was a slave.

“Guys!  Where’s Hawks?!” shouted Christopher.

“Where’s Isabelle?” exclaimed Mason as he charged out of the room.  When the three boys reached the living room they stared at each other in an understood question.

“The damned bloke isn’t here,” snarled Dexter.  

“What do we do now?” asked Mason.

“Maz, try to connect yourself to Isabelle (if you remembered, we had a telepathic connection with each other.  Our telepathic connection with Lucas has not yet appeared because our minds are still adjusting and trying to familiarize itself with Lucas’s presence), Chris you ready the horses,” said Dexter taking charge.

“Why not take the bicycles?” questioned Christopher.

“Because they might have gone into the forest or up a very steep mountain.  A bike is unstable and it could be dangerous.  Horses can move around easily and it is a stable transportation.”

“Oh.”

A few minutes later, the boys were on their horses ready to help their friend.

“I’ve realized something,” started Mason as they followed the trail of horse hooves they found, “Isabelle is like a magnet for trouble.  Troubles just love her.  She gets into trouble every time.  What is with that girl and disasters?  Really, if I had her luck, I would’ve been ran over by a truck long ago.”

“Yeah,” agreed Christopher, “and we’re always the ones who have to save her.”  Dexter at the time was very silent.  He felt remorse.  Why did I treat her like that?  It wasn’t her fault!!  What if she dies?  It would be entirely my fault. thought Dexter.

“Hey Dex, cheer up.  She’s going to be fine.  He won’t kill her.  I sense it from him.  Isabelle has grown to be more than just a friend to him,” comforted Mason.  Then, all three boys shifted uncomfortably on their saddle and stayed silent.

“Isabelle, why are you doing this?” asked Hawks pleadingly.

“SILENCE!” bellowed Lucas. Lucas looked very sinister, unlike the boy that I knew a few days ago, in that black leather jacket.  He had a silver ring on, I noticed as he jammed his hands into his black jeans.  Somehow Lucas’s eyes became cold and dead.  It was like staring into death.  There was no light in those eyes, only cold hatred.  

“Isabelle, why?” whispered Hawks.  

It’s not me Hawks!!!  He’s controlling me!! It really is not me!! I screamed in my mind.

“URGHH!!” Lucas cried as he knocked Hawks unconscious with a savage punch.  “Isabelle, get some rest.  It’s going to be a very entertaining day tomorrow,” he said.

“Yes, Lucas.”

“Maz, have you tried connecting with Isabelle?” asked Dexter.

“Yes, but there was no spark.  She must’ve been sleeping,” answered Mason.

“Just try again.”

“Sure.”  

The sun had only appeared just above the horizon when the boys continued their journey to rescue their friends.  

“Now what do we do?” questioned Chrisotpher.

“I don’t really know,” admitted Dexter.

“Hey guys,” called Mason.

“Any luck?” Christopher and Dexter said together.

“No but as I was riding I saw a humongous castle.  I reckon Isabelle’s in there,” reported Mason.

“I think so too,” supported Chris.  

“Let’s go check it out,” decided Dex.

“Here’s the catch guys,” quickly said Mason, “it’s on the side of a volcano.  I don’t know if it’s active or not, probably inactive but the problem is it’s on its own little area.  It’s like an island  There is no other way in and the peculiar thing is there are no bridges.  This report is from a far distant vision.  I don’t know what it’s like close up but it seems as though the odds are against us today.”

“Let’s check it out anyway.  Maybe we’ll find a solution,” said Chris.

“OK,” The boys rode of into the mess of trees and soon they had reached the edge of the cliff.  Suddenly from behind a tree jumped out a vicious black striped on white tiger.  It snarled then said, “If you want to cross you must solve three of my riddle.”

They boys were astounded but they did not loose focus on the tasks.

“Bring it on, kitty,” teased Dexter.  The tiger snarled then said,

“It cannot be seen, cannot be felt

Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt,

It lies behind stars and under hills,

And empty holes it fills.

It comes first and follows after,

Ends life, kills laughter.”

“Uhmm… wait group discussion,” said Mason.

“What cannot be seen and cannot be felt…” mumbled Dexter.

“Can’t be heard and can’t be felt…” trailed on Christopher.

“It lies behind the stars.”

“Space,” whispered Mason “cold, dark… “  then suddenly, “I got it!” exclaimed Mason.

“What is it?” inquired the tiger.

“It’s darkness.”

“Hmph.. Let’s see if you can answer the next riddle: 

This thing runs but cannot walk,

Sometimes sings but cannot talk,

Lacks arms, has hands;

Lacks a head and has a face.”

“A clock,” replied Dexter quickly.  They boys looked at Dexter in amazement.  “My uncle made me solve this riddle once,” he explained.

“That was only a lucky shot.  This last one will surely stop you,” snarled the tiger.

“They say it comes from your ears

it can also generate fear

some people love to do it

indirectly some swallow it

it’s not welcome in a house

it’s as quiet as a mouse

What, pray tell, can it be?”



“Again, group discussion,” said Christopher.  Then, the boys fell into silence as they thought.  

“Chris,  smoke is coming out of your ears man.  Relax,” said Mason.

“That’s it!” Christopher shouted.  “The answer to your riddle is smoke!”  With a roar, the tiger leapt back into its hiding spot and made way for the boys to cross.  Suddenly, a rickety bridge made out of wood appeared out of thin air.  The bridge looked old and unstable.  There was green moss all over the bridge.  

“Here we go,” mumbled Dexter.  The boys slowly stepped onto the old bridge.  Dexter was first.  Then came Mason and last came Christopher.  They took cautious steps.  The wooden planks creaked, threatening to snap.  

“Slowly Dex,” cautioned Mason.  Their progress was slow but finally they reached the middle of the bridge.  SNAP!

“DEXTER!” Mason and Christopher screamed.  

“I’m okay,” called Dexter hanging from the plank with one single hand.

“Hold on buddy,” said Mason as he used all his might to pull Dexter up.  His tendons bulged as he paled completely.  Beads of sweat trickling down face.  “Almost got it,” he mumbled.  “There,” he said finally.  Dexter was safe. 

“Thanks man,” said Dexter feebly.

“No �" hawww- problem,” replied Mason in between gasps.  

“How do you like that, huh?” bellowed Lucas as he threw a punch at Hawks, now very bloody and swollen.

Stop, Lucas!!!!  I screamed in my head.  As though he could read my mind, he stopped.  

“Why did you kill him?  You evil man!!  Did you know how old I was?  I was five!  FIVE!!  He was the only family I had.  My mom had ran off with some guy and you felt like you had the need to take away my father!!!!  How could you,” screamed Lucas as he broke down crying.  

“Not…” started Hawks but he was too tired to talk so he gave up.  

“Isabelle,” called Lucas.

“Yes?”

“Prepare him for the next round and trust me, it’s way more painful.”  BOOM!!! The wooden door bust open.  



“What the hell?” said Lucas through coughs.

“You lying git!!!” shouted a boy.

Guys!!! I thought.  They looked mighty and powerful as they stood in the doorway.  They were the beam of hope that I hadn’t had in days.  

“It seems that I have underestimated you,” said Lucas softly but dangerously,

“It seems so,” answered Christopher.

“No worries, you’re nothing more than a bunch of stick wavers who think their cool.  Isabelle, finish them off.”  My charm grew bright red.  I bowed.  

Noo!!!!  STOP!!!  I screamed but no one could hear me.  

“Dex, look at the charm,” whispered Mason.  If you remembered, I was part vampire so I can hear from far away.  Why couldn’t I hear Lucas’s thoughts you ask?  Well his talent is blocking people.  He blocks mind readers and any other attacks.  Physical and mental.  Anyway back to the action.  

“It’s controlling her,” realizing Dexter.

“No, he’s controlling her,” corrected Christopher.  My feet took me to him.  Soon we were locked in combat.

STOP NOW!!! I commanded myself, but it didn’t work.  Mason and Dexter soared in and it became three against one.  I noticed that none of them dared to attack.  They only parried my strikes.  CLANG! CLANG!  Mason’s and Christopher’s swords hit the stone floor.  They jumped to the side as my sword made a deadly swipe for their heads.  It was me and Dexter now. Suddenly, Dexter dropped his sword.

“Look Bells, I know you’re in there somewhere.  I know you’re not evil,” he started.  It was working.  I was hesitating.  “Bells, I’m sorry for everything that happened these past few days.  I should’ve known that you didn’t mean to do it but I got scared.  I got scared that you won’t be our friends anymore.  Isabelle, we still believe in you.  I believe in you.  Please come back.  We need you.  I need you.   Mason needs you.  Chris needs you.  It won’t be the same without you.  Please, please come back.”  With that, the charm shattered sending sparks flying like fireworks.  My body felt familiar.  

“Guys!!!” I screamed as I leapt into Dexter’s arms.  Then, I gave Mason a tight hug too.  When I opened my eyes, I saw Lucas, eyes filled with anger, raising his sword.  My reflexes took over.  I ripped Mason’s sword from its sheath and parried the blow.  In surprise Mason turned around.  He took my sword that was lying on the ground and started towards Lucas.  “Maz, leave it.  He’s mine,” I growled.  I stepped forward, my eyes never quavering from my target.

“How could you?” I asked as I punctuated every syllable with a blow.  In a blink of an eye, the battle became fierce.  The room fell silence as the Dexter tended Hawks’s wounds while Mason and Christopher watch the combat, dumb-strucked.  CLANG!  A sword fell to the floor.  One was victorious and one was helpless .  “Prepare to die!” I snarled as I pointed the tip of my sword to Lucas’s throat.  

“Is, stop!” screamed Mason.  “The load of filth is not worth it.”  My body tensed.  I raised my sword.  Bang!! Everybody winced but they stopped when Lucas opened his eyes.  My sword was lying on the ground while I was panting and sweating.  

“I gave you your life.  Use it well, you jerk.  Let’s go guys.”  Christopher and Dexter hoisted Hawks up and started towards the door but then Hawks stopped.

“L-L-Lucas,” said Hawks, “there’s something you have to know.  Your father was a great man.  A respectable man.  We were at war with the underworld.  It was a bloody war.  Many were lost. Your dad was one of our best warrior but in the middle of the battle, we started to lose.  Your dad was very sad and Hades took that chance to manipulate him.  Unfortunately, it worked.  He fell under Hade’s charm.  The battle went on.  Soon it was down to your father and I.  We had a deathly dwell.  We were best buddies, I couldn’t bare to kill him but he was determined to slaughter me.  Then, your father lost.  I was about to lay down my sword and give him another chance but from behind me came an arrow.  It was shot from our commander.  The battle was over.  We had won.  I’m sorry Lucas.  Let’s go boys.”  I saw tears forming in Lucas eyes as we slowly walked towards the door.   

“URGH!” a shout of pain.  I turned and saw Lucas crumble to the ground.  His shirt was drenched in blood.

“LUCAS!!!” I screamed and rushed to his side.  Rivers of tears streaming down my cheeks.  “No, Lucas, no!” I said through my tears.

“It’s okay Isabelle,” Lucas said with his dying breath.  “I’d rather die than live in shame.  I’m sorry Bells.  May I ask you something?”

“Anything.”

“Were we friends or was there something more?”

My cheeks flushed.”Uhmm, well there was once a time when, well…  There was a time when I thought well, I thought.. but I’m sorry there isn’t .  I’m sorry.”  Lucas nodded and winced.  “Well, Bells.  To me it was different.  To me, you were more than just a friend.  I.. I.. I’m sorry,” and with that his heart stopped.  I held him tight and cried a river.  

“We’ll take him home.  Bury him properly.  He died a hero,” said Dexter as he wiped a tear from his face.  

The ride home was a sad and quiet ride.  I rode with Mason while Dexter rode with the body of Lucas.  Streams of tears rolled down my cheeks.

“It’s okay, Iz..  Everything’s going to be okay,” comforted Mason throughout the whole way back.  After that we had a quiet burial for Lucas.  

“Hey, Bells,” greeted Dexter.  It was a few days after Lucas’s death.  Everybody was still sad but our spirits have lifted up a little bit.  We still try very hard not to mention anything that was related to Lucas.

“Hey Dex,” I answered with I smiled.

“You holding up okay?” 

“Yeah.  Well quite ok.  Hey Dex, can I ask you something?”

“Yeah sure.”

“Did you mean what you said at the castle?”

“Well,” he blushed slightly, “Uhmm.. well.  Yes, Isabelle.  I meant everything.”  I smiled and he replied with one too.   

“Hey guys!” said Mason.  

“Hey dudes!” called Christopher.  

“Group hug!” I shouted.  We raced and slammed into each other then, fell to the floor in laughter.  Finally, I was safe once again.  With my friends.  

© 2013 Titin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

274 Views
Added on July 5, 2013
Last Updated on July 5, 2013
Tags: isabelle, mason, dexter, christopher, lucas, hawks, sword, school, revenge, father, kidnapped, slave, coffee, favourite, castle, riddles, forest, hero

Author

Titin
Titin

Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam



Writing
Egypt's Secret Egypt's Secret

A Story by Titin