The Camera Steals the Spirit

The Camera Steals the Spirit

A Poem by Tomás Ó Cárthaigh
"

Native Americans told that every time your picture was taken, you lost some of your soul...

"

The elders spoke against the box

Covered with the cloth

That painted pictures on the glass

And they wanted not

Their picture taken, for they wished

Yo keep for themselves whole

For a man looses a little each time

When his picture is taken, it takes his soul.

 

--oOo--

 

 

--oOo--

 

These times of the spirit are empty

Of hope we have little too

Faith has faded in freedom

And those who believe are now few

Little care for their fellow man

None lives to his need

All want at the expense of each other

All that powers us is greed.

 

--oOo--

 

Every place we are

Everywhere we walk

Someone somewhere sees

When on our phones we talk

An image is recorded

We are not aware, yet we know

60 pictures a second

Taken on video...

 

--oOo--

 

Maybe the Red Man was right

Our loss of our soul seems to stem

With the more images of us thats taken

For the sadisfaction of Them

Who worry about security and freedom

Who want to monitor and tag us where we go

It for our own good they tell us

That we have even less freedom we know...

© 2008 Tomás Ó Cárthaigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

lol! I've heard of this. ^^ ...Creepy... It sort of reminds me of those laughing tracks you hear on modern sitcoms that were recorded in the fifties... most of them should be dead right now... so... technically, the dead are laughing at us... hehehe...

Anyways, great job with this! I love the idea! ;)

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is very thought provoking and carries a strong message. I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice and well written poem that is kinda scary too!
Great work!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this poem. I love the structure the rhythm and the flow. The content is very thought-provoking and I feel like the comparison to the modern day media flurry is true. Very impressive.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Those who came before us knew much more than we could ever imagine.

Wonderful work starting with Native Americans and working your way to our modern surveillance society.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nicely written. I liked the imagery and philosophy of mankind loosing their souls from the mistrust of others and ourselves. Big brothers watching you syndrome.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Such truth, I love the way you are able to show the surveillance society. You gave the poem such structure with your rhythm.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Perhaps, this is one of the beliefs of certain tribes. There are people, esp those who belong in a native group, believe in superstitions, in magic and in any other things related to that (folklore). It could be part of the culture. But going deeper into that, I think, something is being conveyed. It's a belief that insinuates a much deeper thought.

By the way, there's a typo error in the 7th line. I think that's "loses" instead of "looses". Nonetheless, this is an excellent write!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

you are so right, after you said this, I also think it... that's why perhaps I don't like taking picutures, perhaps I once was in indian who knows? no I was a slave (I am Slavic and German). Thanks for liking my Harvest poem - it means something what the great Tom likes my poem!
and, I have to say this is such a beautiful poem. It is even perfect for children. Why don't you make a children poetry book? They need to learn rhythm of the language, they learn easily from memory. You are right, a memory to be in vacation somewhere one is carrying in his heart not in his camera....fundamental truths. I loved this.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

turely amazing poem, such truth rings to my ears....x0x0x0x00x excellent! x0x00x

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gosh I love this piece. I always hate getting my picture taken.. perhaps internally for this reason, though I always assumed it's because I don't usually photograph well. It is interesting though, that it does seem a more soulless society these days then way back when. sigh.
One of the American actors was trying to get copyright permissions for their image. Either Robert Redford or Paul Newman I think. It's true, though... our images should belong to us, not to the photographers who may take them withOUT permission.
Interesting.... as I've recently applied for three photography positions in my quest for a new job. hmmm.
thanks for this, I think too much has lost it's sacristy... this here is one.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

692 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 27, 2008

Author

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh
Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

Renmore, Galway, Ireland, An Roinne Mór, Gallaimh, Eire, Ireland



About
Ten years on this site... a quick decade, and an age in another way... Flanagan and the Lampost The Novena, some Drama and Midge Ure in Galway Fiddling at Longford Donkey Innovat.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..