I Was the Reluctant Lover

I Was the Reluctant Lover

A Poem by Tomás Ó Cárthaigh
"

Valentines poem about a girl I adored that I worked with but never had the guts to ask out! Faint heart, it is true, wins not the fair lady...

"

I was the reluctant lover
She was a Goddess divine
I was not as brave as a man should be
And so her heart was never mine

Oh, am I the fool of legend
Am I the only one
Who loved and lost as I never tossed
My hat in the ring till the girl was gone?

And as I look at the picture
Her face and smile come to mind
May we always find a beautiful memory of another
Though we may never meet another of their kind.


I was that hunter with his dogs
Who left the lady sitting naked and alone
To hunt for all the vanities of life
And lost the lady he desired as his own.


A hunter hunts for glory and alone
And relishes the company of his hound
But the greatest hunt is of the heart
And for me will the quarry ever be found?


Should she again come into my range
Then with arrows and hounds I shall descend
And stop the hunt, and run the hounds
And maybe for me be a happy end?

© 2010 Tomás Ó Cárthaigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm sure that you're not the only one who has lacked the front to approach one who is fascinating to us, and have thus lost the opportunity to discover whether she is the one, or not. Nicely read in your Irish brogue.
(But seriously, if you really did leave her naked and alone - what the hell were you thinking of, man??? )

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Epic... I think you spoke for every man at some point on this one. Great job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

In this time of sleazy torrid sex and meaningless relations, I find comfort and hope that romance is still alive when I read this, because if a man can feel this way, all is not lost for true love. Thank you and it was absolutely my pleasure to have read it. Thank you thank you thank you!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Absolutely beautiful.
I love the way you have not only added a nice piece of music, but also read your poem too in your warming Irish accent. Just wonderful! Bravo!

Posted 13 Years Ago


A deeply touching poem, my friend and it should be as it stems from real life...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I loooved how this was written! A mix of fantasy and harsh reality, a unique way of looking at not being able to tell someone how you feel. I liked the part about finding a beautiful memory of another, like wishing each other well even though you never had the chance to be together. This was romantic and sweet - my favorite kind of poem. ;D Great job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This poem is absolutely beautiful. The second stanza reminds me a little of Romeo&Juliet. The flow is a bit off sometimes but it doesn't ruin the whole. Your words went straight to my heart, this is very good work! Thank you for posting this

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a truly beautiful poem. Your emotion shows through all the words you say. Very well written. keep writing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh my, that was absolutely beautiful!! You never know how different your life would now be, if you had spoken to this girl of your dreams. If it were meant to be, you'll always have another chance. Thank you so much for sharing it with us!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is beautiful, quaint, sweet, and uncertain. I think you should have gone up and approached the girl!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

well I hope so! I to hate such regrets... I have a few of my own and I'm not even a man. (in case one wondered). Is it a faint or unassuming heart?? I wonder. Excellent write, and hopefully someone will learn from our mistakes.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1243 Views
32 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 13, 2010
Last Updated on June 29, 2010
Tags: love, adore, amore, unrequited love

Author

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh
Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

Renmore, Galway, Ireland, An Roinne Mór, Gallaimh, Eire, Ireland



About
Ten years on this site... a quick decade, and an age in another way... Flanagan and the Lampost The Novena, some Drama and Midge Ure in Galway Fiddling at Longford Donkey Innovat.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..