Hatred in the Heart of Olde England

Hatred in the Heart of Olde England

A Poem by Tomás Ó Cárthaigh
"

The issue of gypsy camps again has hit the headlines in the UK, where the Middle England village of Meriden is up in arms at Irish Travellers building on green belt land that they purchased.

"
 

.

 

 

Hatred in the Heart of Olde England

.

They bought the land, we understand
With hard cash fair and square
But as they are not English folk
They cannot build their own park there
On land that they themselves own
As a blockade blocks the load
Of supplies for drainage and ancillary works
So they don't camp on the road
For their town is picturesque
In the heart of Old England
The truth's if your not white, English, Protestant
Your skin they cannot stand.

They will go to church on Sunday
Pompous righteous and proud
And boast how successful they are
How they gypsies were not allowed
To build a PROPER park, on land THEY own
By proper English folk
And as I read the comments of one
I thought how it was for racism a cloak
I live in an English house
That for some hundreds of years did stand
Built by Irish hands for English folk
Upon stolen land.

And the people dispossessed by Cromwell
And to Connaught could not go
And have walked the roads years since
The same hatred's they know.
England is equal they say for all
As long as your white
British and Protestant
Then you enjoy every right.
But should you not be so, alas
No rights is there for you
To be as bold to BUY your land!
What a thing for a gypsy to do!

You cannot camp upon the road
The locals don't like the stranger
Your children are running wild
And are a source of danger.
You are the least of Gods children
And for you they do not care
They wish you did not exist
Were not among them, were elsewhere
They glory of the beauty of England
But hate is in their heart
Pretty houses hide hateful minds
Keep THEM from ME apart!

© 2010 Tomás Ó Cárthaigh


Author's Note

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh
There is a few spoonerisms and typs on the video, but Im a believer in "warts and all" approach, and it gets the message across adeqately...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Biased from end to end. It is almost as if you suffered the potato famined yourself. I was in the Bull Ring of Birmingham England the day the IRS came calling and for the life of me I still do not understand what it was all about? The write however was very well done but I do not see a biased oppion call spoonerisms anything more than a cop out.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Such a brutally honest piece that makes the reader feel WE have lived that and makes us feel guilty just reading about the judgement and descrimination that is extremely unjust and has/had absolutely no grounds or reason. Wonderful write I quite enjoyed it. Congrats on placing in my contest

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was wonderful........really well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Biased from end to end. It is almost as if you suffered the potato famined yourself. I was in the Bull Ring of Birmingham England the day the IRS came calling and for the life of me I still do not understand what it was all about? The write however was very well done but I do not see a biased oppion call spoonerisms anything more than a cop out.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is one of the best things I have read here

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Alas, this poor body of mankind must always hate some of its fingers or toes, but why, I can't understand.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great rhyme and flow in this poem! There is one little typo in the 4th line of the 2nd verse...'they gypsies' should be 'the gypsies' The theme is a sad one and points to a problem that exists for many folk. Prejudice may be veiled a bit in Canada but sadly, it tends to exist in some parts, only it is directed at the Native America population who were here long before the white man came to 'civilize' it.

It is sad how many church-going people seem to think it is okay to classify people and ignore the plight of others and/or show distain for them. What happened to "Love your neighbour" and "Judge not..."

Thanks for sharing this with us. Well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I appreciate your view David, but we'll have to disagree on this one. Everywhere a camp is tried to be legally set up, there is objections. Everywhere. Even Dale Farm, a legitimate camp dating from the 1960's has got a closure order thanks to someone who didnt want them at "their door". We have the problem here in Ireland too - but as the council build the camps, there can be no objections. And they manage them quite well too. Dunsink Lane being the exception, but the CAB and Garda rooted out the element causing the problems, and now there is no hassle in the camp.

As for Green Belt... this is rural England, an old common sold to be built on, reold as there was no money to build houses. So either way it wasnt to be green belt, but maybe a more acceptable residents if houses for the rich were built there.

Incidently, a lot of the objectors have Irish names, McGrath the ringleader being one. They seem to have forgotton how far and from where they came. More English now than the natives, sad to see.

The greater majority of English are decent and not racist. Whwn one looks closer at the protesters, the majority are members of the Tory party, the party of empire and privilige...

Posted 13 Years Ago


Your Irish prejudice peeps out a little too strongly in this piece for me to appreciate it as an unbiased viewpoint. There are so many problems today associated with shifting populations that you can hardly blame people for protesting when they feel they're being overwhelmed in their own country. You make a point of stating that this is 'green belt' land. Regardless of ownership then, it stands to reason that this land is not supposed to be built on. I think you'd find similar examples in America, Australia, New Zealand, Canada - this is not just an 'English' problem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


hatred can be found everywhere . . .

Posted 13 Years Ago


You raise our attention to their problem, sadly, they are folks without land, like many others. They need This was wonderful, rhyme, nice stanzas.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

757 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 10, 2010
Last Updated on May 10, 2010

Author

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh
Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

Renmore, Galway, Ireland, An Roinne Mór, Gallaimh, Eire, Ireland



About
Ten years on this site... a quick decade, and an age in another way... Flanagan and the Lampost The Novena, some Drama and Midge Ure in Galway Fiddling at Longford Donkey Innovat.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Deeper Deeper

A Poem by Robin