Chapter 1: Rombol 1.2: Seeking Baker Gremmel's Shop

Chapter 1: Rombol 1.2: Seeking Baker Gremmel's Shop

A Chapter by TomEYou
"

Jarl persists in completing his original quest.

"

Chapter 1.2: Finding Baker Gremmel’s shop

Soon, they turned west onto an equally wide street. Jarl realized he still did not know the man's name. He offered his own and inquired to how the man called himself. Giving no indication that he heard Jarl the man just kept walking. There was another pair of Defenders walking toward them from the west. They were young looking, average height and carried only their swords but they both had the same swinging knotted tassel he saw earlier. The one on the right was average looking as well, except for a long nose. The other man was slightly shorter and stockier, even pudgy. His face looked like it was beat on often despite the skin having the smoothness of youth. His nose looked like had been broken a few times, too. Seeing Jarl's guide, the pair headed toward them. The man's face seemed even harder now. "Lantrool," hailed the one on Jarl's right as they approached, "Where have you been? You don't come around the Defender's Rest anymore. You should know your old war stories are sorely missed." His voice and stance suggested he mocking Lantrool as much as having any real interest in an answer.

Lantrool's face soured, some at least. It did not really change yet somehow it seemed like it did. He growled "Tarl, have you forgotten? I'm a not Defender, not anymore." The last with a touch of sorrow, or so Jarl thought. His stance made it look like he expected one of them to start something, or perhaps he was daring them to. It was definitely not a welcome to match the one the other man had offered. "Shouldn't you be out on patrol or something?"

"My patrol and I just returned this morning. Nothing interesting, as usual." The man seemed as bored as his statement. For moment, Jarl only heard the sounds from up the hill. Just when Jarl was about to ask he they could go up, the shadowed figure spoke again. "We did investigate a strange rumor over near the mountains, well north of the Boar's Head. One of the locals claimed to have found a strange beast dead at the bottom of a deep ravine. He had tracked one of his sheep there when it had wandered off only to be chased by a wolf into the ravine. The fellow found its remains. Apparently, the sheep had managed to run all the way to the very back before the wolf caught it. The wolf and most of the ewe were missing, of course. The man also claimed to have found a large lizard-like creature with red and black scales. Larger than a horse, he said," scoffed the guard. "When he tried to show it to us there was nothing to be found, not even the remains of the sheep. No blood, nothing but rock and dirt, grass, bushes, and freshly broken tree. The last next to a very high cliff" The large shadowy man turned his head and spit, then carried on with his story. "The man was flabbergasted, of course, and kept swearing he saw. I was not happy, to say the least. Told him I should have him hanged for wasting my time like that, I mean the King's Defenders' time, of course." Lantrool was glaring at the man now but he let Tarl go on. "It made me think of you, how you claimed to have met a dying acolyte who tried to claim we were being invaded by strange creatures. Perhaps you'd like to go listen to the madman yourself. He's in Vlentil."

Lantrool still glared but kept his silence. "Tarl, cut it out. It's not right to pick on an old man like that" added the other Defender. They both started laughing. Jarl didn't know what to think. The story was odd, sounding as made up as Tarl claimed. He also didn't understand what was passing between these men, but they clearly were not friends.

Once the pair started to quiet down again Lantrool offered them the chance to challenge him if they thought he was so old, the pair together. Jarl was taken aback by that even more than by the strange tale. They declined, saying it would not be fair either one of them to take on a frail, old man, much less the both of them. They left, heading the same way as before, leaving Lantrool to glare at their backs before he decided to turn back down the street, growling something that sounded like Jarl should follow along while the man was still in the mood to help him out.

Jarl followed silently for a while, looking at the buildings and the people they passed. Some of the buildings here were similar but others were much wider, even the inns. And they were straighter. Many of those in the outer city appeared to have the upper floors added later, often overhanging the lower floor. These appeared to have the floors all built at the same time with the building going straight up, sometimes four stories. He could hear the clang of a smith's hammer along with other noises he was unsure of. There were more carts here as well, carrying loads in and out the large buildings. The wide buildings were only 2 stories tall. he peered inside one and all he saw besides the walls were tall wooden posts. There was no second floor. There were also some tall posts with a strange object on top. It looked sort of like a small, covered gazebo, something he'd seen outside Hemly. He'd asked what it was and was told it was a gazebo by someone who acted like he was asking if wine was wet.

Lantrool was grumbling now. Jarl thought perhaps he should lighten the mood and introduce himself. "Lantrool? My name's Jarl. We were not properly introduced earlier." Lantrool just keeps walking, seeming to ignoring him. "I, um, really appreciate all you're doing for me."

"It was nothing" he responded. At least he was no longer growling. "Do you really believe we could be invaded by monsters, like in the stories?"

"It's just the ramblings of a dying man, nothing for a young citizen like yourself to worry about."

They walked on. This passing two more long streets. At first there were more of the large empty buildings but now they were passing through what looked like another market place only people were going in and out of doors. The buildings had the same signs on them though, tailor, baker, jeweler, and so on. Jarl assumed these shops conducted their business inside, like he was told Gremmell was supposed to do. Odd, the buildings along the Hemly Road were almost as large, why did those vendors operate outside while these operated inside? They continued in silence. There was the smell of fish in the air, They must be getting close to the docks. Surely they would be coming to the North Road soon. The people in the inner city looked much the same, though there were fewer beggars and more of the nobles' coaches. People tended to stay to the outer parts of the streets here while the coaches tended to move along quicker. People tended to stay out of their way here, by choice apparently, rather than by fear of getting run over. He could see the buildings beyond the next street were darker, some in bad need of repair. As they drew closer it became apparent that they were not darker but dirtier, as if no one was bothering to clean them, much less repaint and repair. The people there tended to look like beggars even if they were not begging. It was an odd contrast to the rest of the city. This must be the Poor Quarter.

Lantrool stopped and turned toward him, pointing north. "Gremmell's shop is that way. Try to stay out of trouble from now on." It sounded more like a command than advice. No sooner had the man said this than he was turning to head into the Poor Quarter.

"Thanks again. Uh, bye..." Jarl was not sure the man heard he was gone so quickly. It was getting dark. Jarl decided it would not be a good idea to stand around pondering or gawking. As he started up the street he noticed a man holding a long pole with a flame at one end. He was sticking pole into the top of one of those tall posts. Suddenly, the top lit up like a lantern. In fact, it was a large lantern set at the top of the post. Like a lantern it was covered at the top to keep out the rain and open on the sides to let the air in. That would be a nice thing to have back in Wilfreng. Jarl started to smile till a passerby looked at him strangely. He hurried north. The North Gate was not that far, apparently the same distance from the street he just left as the Hemly Gate. The neighborhood here was much the same as the one he found coming by the Hemly Road, perhaps a little nicer. Again, there was the contrast with the Poor Quarter not that far away.

It did not take long to find the Baker's Double Dozen. It was a large sign with a very round looking man holding a tray in each hand with what might be taken for pastries on each. Jarl may not be able to read but he can count to twenty and he knew that a dozen was 12. Each tray held exactly one dozen pastries. This must be the Baker's Double Dozen. The shop looked closed, reflected the late hour. It's still summer and if the days are shrinking, the nights are still fairly short. People will be wanting to be in bed soon, if not all ready. He hated to bother them this late but he had nowhere else to stay and he was not sure he could afford an inn within the city. He knocked. There was no respond, no sound of any movement. He knocked again, louder. Then once more. He was beginning to think no one was home when a light appeared above him. A man stuck his head out yelling "Go away! Come back in the morning if you want pastries. Now's the time for sleeping!." The fellow started to close the shutters back up.

Jarl quickly replied "Baker Gremmell? I'm Jonst's youngest son. From Wilfreng." The shutters stopped short of closing all the way. They started opening up again, slower than before. Jonst? Jonst... Oh yes, Wilfreng. What of it?"

"Pa told me to look you up. Said you might be willing to take on another apprentice, or at least help me find work. Pa always said you seemed to always know someone willing to take on another hand."

The man was large, not quite as large as the man on the sign, but a good bit round just the same. He stood there, leaning against the sill for moment, probably pondering whether to send Jarl on his way. Not sure what else to say he just sat there waiting for the baker to tell him to leave when the man heaved a heavy sigh, shaking his head. "Hold there, lad, I'll be down in a min to let you in. No use you spending the night in the cold." And with that he closed the shutters, leaving Jarl in the relative dark again. Fewer People were about, though he thought he saw another Defender coming from the gate, following the North Road. The man was on Jarl's side of the street and was heading his general direction. It seemed like the man had seen Jarl and was coming to have a talk, perhaps about why he was standing in the baker's shop with the sun fully down for the night. There was a dull, slow thumping in the shop then a lighter thump that was getting closer. The Defender reached him first, confirming Jarl's fear by asking why he was here after dark.

The door to the shop opened just as the man finished asking his question. "Come in, lad, come in. Don't stand there all night." The Defender started to say more but seeing Gremmell ask the Jarl inside he simply bid them a goodnight and continued his patrol. Gremmell closed the door behind Jarl then turned, the beginnings of a scowl on his brow. "You in some kind of trouble, boy?" Poking Jarl in the chest he went on, "You come to my door, banging to wake the whole neighborhood, bruises all over your face and the Watch giving you their attention; smells like trouble to me. If you are, I'll put you back out on the street right now."

Once again, Jarl was taken aback. He responded in a rush, "I'm not in any kind of trouble. I just now found your shop. I'm bruised because I was attacked by a couple of thieves. A man named Lantrool came to my rescue. Something about wondering why a 'bumpkin', that's what he called me, was trying into Gent's Village, I think that's what he called it. It was right next to the Hemly gate." Gremmell nodded like he knew it, or perhaps just to get on with it. "If he had not thought to check on me, I might still be lying there." Jarl took a deep breath and Jarl adjusted his backpack. The large baker still looked unsure about his story. He was not saying more but neither was he saying to get out. Jarl went on "I had thought it would be a good idea to save what little was left of the money Pa gave me and not stay at another inn after Hemly. I arrived in the afternoon. I had planned to head to the inner city, turn towards the docks and the Poor Quarter, then north again till I found your shop. Pa said it would not be hard to find, except I didn't know what a thoroughfare was and I thought I was taking the right street." Jarl took a deep breath and Gremmell just nodded again "After Lantrool saved me, he was kind enough to lead me to the North Road, Next to the Poor Quarter, where he left me to make the rest of the way on my own. He reminds me of Old Man Grimps, only this man looks like he could do more than simply gripe and grind his teeth. He had those two thieves running for the lives, ha-ha."

"Lantrool? Almost your height, gray hair, receding forehead, limps a bit on his right leg?"

"Yep, That's him. Does talk much, just mumbles a lot, especially after talking to two young Defenders. They started laughing at him..."

"Well don't you start laughing, too." Gremmell waved for him to sit down Lad, that man was part of the Defenders for as long as I've been a baker, longer even. As a young man he fought in the war that made King Wrothl ruler of all Shurm. He even saved the King from two assassinations. The man's a hero. The new general dismissed him. Another war vet. Has no fondness for Lan, though. Dismissed at the first opportunity, without pension mind you. A hero! A war hero and Savior of the King! Honors left and right. It's wrong I tell you. Just wrong." Gremmell had been getting pretty worked up but he was calming down now. Like earlier with Lan, He wasn't sure if silence wasn't the better approach. "Well, you needn't mind the ramblings of an old baker. Clearly, you're as worn out as I am. Follow me upstairs and I'll set you up in the den for tonight. Tomorrow we'll talk about work."

"Thank you, sir. You're too kind." Gremmell noticed Jarl's stiffness upon rising from the chair but said nothing as he led the way to the stairs and up to the second floor. The den was larger than the inn rooms he'd stayed at on the way to Rombol. There were several comfortable chairs and very wide chair, a sofa is was called, with cushions on it. The cushions looked comfortable and better than lying on the ground under a bush. The room's walls were plain stained wood, much the same as the rest of house/shop he'd so far. There was one window opposite the door. It was dark enough out now that Jarl could see little though it from where he stood. Gremmell told him to wait here as he left. He returned shortly with a small pallet rolled under his arm and a pillow and sheet in the other. "Sleep on this on the floor. We get up early so get as much sleep as you can." Jarl thanked him. The rotund man looked like he was going to say more but just nodded his head, turned and left the room, closing the door gently behind him. Jarl was too tired to ponder what Gremmell might been about to say. He just unrolled the pallet on the floor, There was plenty of room between the furniture, even for his tall frame, He then pulled his boots off, covered himself with the sheet, laid his head on the pillow and was quickly asleep.



© 2012 TomEYou


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on August 27, 2012
Last Updated on October 14, 2012


Author

TomEYou
TomEYou

Denton, TX



About
Writing my first story with what I think is a unique world design. Aristotle: The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. more..

Writing