Chapter 1: Stories

Chapter 1: Stories

A Chapter by TomEYou

Mr. Yongl entered the fifth grade classroom via the rear door and politely remained there. Sunfry Kralisk turned from writing on a board up front to wave a welcome to him. A few young faces turned his way then back to the vid. Yongl recognized it, part of the history of Terranule, and partly the reason he was here. A dark ceiling, rippling like a gentle breeze over a small pool, kept the room at just the right light for watching the vid. It soon went to credits. Sunfry Kralisk wiggled her fingers at the ceiling causing it the darkness to roll away from her, like an ever increasing ripple centered on her, and exposing a pool of glowfish, obviously enticed there specifically for lighting the room. She wriggled her fingers are the screen and it starting rippling, breaking up into large bubbles. Those broking into smaller and smaller ones till they were mist then the mist evaporated as well.

 

Sunfry was looking at her students, one eyebrow arched. She waved her hand toward the upside down pond again. A large drop of water right over a sleeping student. It grew and grew until it fell with a splash and the groggy and now soggy boy bolted to a sitting position, shaking his head and splattering water on his cringing, giggling neighbors, Mrs. Kralisk exclaimed "Pietl! That's the third time today. If you can't stay awake in class, stand up by the wall." Yawning then muttering, he did as he was told.

 

Mrs. Kralisk merely looked at him with pity before turning back to her twenty or so students. "Class, this is Storyteller Ted Yongl." She waved him to the front. "His latest story is set during the Terranulian history we are studying, the Terranulian Inmergation. Mr. Yongl is an old friend of mine. When he mentioned remaining here in Gras Merfin, I begged him to spare half an hour, once a week share his story about the this most recent addition to our history. I think you'll enjoy it. Quickly before we start, who can tell me how many cities Terranule had before this event?" A hand near the front went up. "Logguc?"

 

"Yessum. There were two, Mrs. Kralisk."

 

"Very good, Logguc. Have a crunchy goldfish. Now, someone else tell us one of the names? Karla, tell me one of those cities."

 

"Rombol, Mrs. Kralisk."

 

"Good job. Here's your crunchy goldfish." The student caught it with a smile on her face. She popped the little yellow treat into her mouth like it might try to flop away.

 

"One more. Who can name it?" Silence. Students looking around, trying not to be noticed. These were old names from another place, so it might make sense that they have trouble remembering them. "Surely you haven't forgotten all ready. Rombol is easy because it's the capital now. But it wasn't before the inmergation."

 

Pietl, who had been trying to find a way to stoop and pretend to be awake spoke up "It's..."

 

"Pietl, I don't know how they do things in your old school, but here students raise their hand before speaking." Pietl did so. "Very good."

 

"Thank you, Mrs. Kralisk." Suppressing a yawn he added "The city's name is Anappon, Mrs. Kralisk."

 

"Very good! I guess you were paying attention after all." She cocked her head to the side. "Did you have something to add?"

 

"Yes, Mrs. Kralisk. I know the name because I'm from Terranopolis. It used to be Anappon." Covering another yawn he added "Mrs. Kralisk, isn't there anything to be done for this humidity? It makes me very sleepy."

 

"I'm sorry. This is an underwater school and the environment is what it is. I'm sure your parents knew that when they chose to move here. Still, Perhaps we can get them and the school nurses together. I'm sure we can find some way to make it more comfortable for you. Will that be ok?"

 

"Yes, ma'am. I'll let them know. Thank you again." He went back to leaning against the wall.

 

Sunfry gestured "All right class, give a nice round of applause for Mr. Yongl." They all clap. Some looking excited, others bored, but everyone looking at him now.

 

"Good morning. First let me say that I enjoy storytelling. A lot. I especially like when my audience is studying the history that my story is set in. I think it gives something extra to the telling. But that could just be me." Yongl begins slowly pacing the front of the room.

 

"Our story begins with some names you are all ready familiar with. It's said that this event began with Aidurq and Erion gathered all the others who reigned over this world, as they are wont to do when important changes are to take place. Erion had just banged his gavel to bring order to the group. Yunyon bellowed 'Do you have to do that every..."

 

 

         

Aidurq the Sage examined the Brethren. They were not really brethren, just a group come together that was better than going it alone. The universe was a dangerous place and self-preservation required either being very strong or having sufficient numbers gathered. All were in attendance; Erion, Jadeon, Porphox, Furnfir, Yunyon, Olmer, Shuppor, Aereoble, Roegrin, Porvednor, and of course, Aidurq. An odd lot, perhaps, but they worked well together. Like himself, Jadeon, Porphox, Furnfir, and Roegrin prefer to keep moving, never staying in one place for long. Aidurq understood that well, but not today, not for him. Today was special. The rest preferred to take things slower, keeping things simple and rock steady. It's always tough getting everyone together, even when it concerned adding another to their number.

 

Jadeon interrupted his thoughts, complaining in that whiney, high pitched voice. "Why Even necessary? It's all ready been agreed to. The invitation has been extended and accepted."

 

Aereoble "This has been done so many times now it's almost as mechanical as Olmer's infernal contraptions." That voice was like distant thunder on a good day. Today, it was a small storm brewing.

 

Olmer hammered right back. "You use them as much as anyone else! Leave over or..."

 

Erion banged the gavel again. Everyone turned that way, including Furnfir. The gavel. It was a part of Erion every bit as much as Erion was a part of it. A reply came that was as calm and clear as it was deep. "Olmer's devices are prized throughout the realm, as much as what comes from any other part of it. Jadeon, Aereoble. This meeting was requested because Aidurq has something to share. It appears this will not be like previous invitations. Yunyon, if Furnfir would maintain that short attention span better it would not be necessary. Furnfir! Do we have your attention now?"

 

Furnfir replied in a voice that seemed to randomly switch from chimes to butterflies to fresh spring leaves fluttering in the wind. "Yes, yes. Please, get on with it. Why is this time any different from others."

 

Roegrin and Porphox said nothing, being the last two to be invited, Roegrin lacking even the experience of doing this with a new addition to the group.

 

Erion looked the group over once more, ensuring all heads were focused toward the front, then nodded to Aidurq.

 

"I've been to the Life Stream. I..."

 

"All have done so. It's common practice to see whether an option will the right choice or not. Or simply whether to learn what might be learned of future events. All viewings said this would be as smooth as those before." That from the pompous and self-important Porvednor. That one had Joined their prestigious group just before Porphox the Wise. The Great Merchant, a self-appointed title, was looking more and more like a mistake. If there was reason for dissent, it was sure to come from there. Still, those merchandizing skills had really brought everything together and made their group one of the strongest anywhere. Unfortunately, Porvednor thought it was also his duty to remind everyone of it.

 

"True, but this time is different. This time it's my Son. When I peered in the first time, I thought I caught something odd. It nagged at me till I went back for another viewing." Aidurq paused, frowning to dare anyone to interrupt again. None did. It was rare for the Life Stream to give differentiating viewings. When used, it allows the viewer to see a limited amount of anything and everything that connects to the viewer, including a very limited link with family. "This time the Life Stream testified to disaster should more than one be sent to help prepare the way. I could gather no more. I asked my progeny to check again as well. That viewing concurs with this one. His plans will alter as well. We can only do is what I've said. Send one. Other than that it's do what can be done here, and pray."

 

When Aidurq finished speaking, the group remained silent. Even Furnfir appeared to be deep in thought rather than chasing off after some butterfly or a rabbit or talking to a tree. I never understand why plants and animals should be more important than sentient beings. The silence did not last long. Despite all the differences in the world, the members of this group knew how to work together and do so well. They set to deciding who would go and how that one would do what needed doing. There wasn't much that could be done. It was all up to the Invitee, according the Life Stream. One could not do much. Little more than provide a guide. Aidurq hoped that would be enough.

 

 

 

The young man was walking along a tiny trail through the Forest of Painted Trees. It got the name from how the trees leaves varied in color, even during the greenest spring. It was beautiful. More beautiful than he ever remembered. Animals scampered here and there and birds chittered and sang. The world was at peace.

 

He came to a fork in the road. The young man turned to the road on the right. It soon led to a world full of strange sights; mountains that looked like buildings, giant birds, all manner of flying things - including land large enough for a large city with more of those strange buildings on it, giant things floating in the ocean, men that swam like fish. It was nothing like the world he remembered. It was all very strange and very scary. Somewhere in the back of his mind he wondered how he could see all that at once. Right in front of all that, growing to block his view of that strange vista, was the largest Living Oak he had ever seen, almost shining in its brilliance. It was as if it were waiting for him, waiting for something, almost calling to him. but why? What could he supposed to do? What could he do?

 

The young man returned to the fork in the road and went down the left path. This road quickly ended with a world in chaos. Storms like he'd never seen with whipping wind and rain, cloud funnels that came out of the sky to carry away homes, people, livestock, and even trees, all except the ancient Living Oaks. The sea rose up like a giant hand had slapped it, forcing a high wall of water to wash far inland, carrying everything its path along with it and then back out to sea. The earth rose up and tumbled back on itself. Villages, towns, cities forests and everything that was left was buried under the earth like seeds for plowing.

 

The young man feared taking either path. He attempted to turn back to the tranquil forest...only, the way back was dark. It was completely black. No candles, no stars, no shadowy shapes of any kind. Just blackness. Just nothing? It was as if the place he came from had never been. And that darkness was getting closer. There was no going back.



© 2012 TomEYou


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
Added on October 5, 2012
Last Updated on October 5, 2012


Author

TomEYou
TomEYou

Denton, TX



About
Writing my first story with what I think is a unique world design. Aristotle: The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. more..

Writing