Danny.

Danny.

A Chapter by Bri
"

Welcome to Edith's world of being a man. She has been sent to America along with her brother. She's a woman in desquise, but soon, her manly mask will disappear, revealing a strong woman inside.

"

  He looked deeply into my eyes, seeing my pain.

  "I love you.", he says as he lets go of my hand and disappears into the shadows. "Danny!", I cry out, knowing I will never see him again. I struggle to stand up, my eyesight is blurred with tears.

  He's dead now. Landed in the bottom of the pit, I'll probably be able to see him when the sun rises.

  I get up and walk away from the cliff.

  I can't let them think they've hurt me, they'll kill me for sure if they find out what he means to me.

  Then they'll take my father next if they find out about Danny being more than just my commanding officer.

  I can't let them see me cry.

  I wipe my tears quickly, not wanting to draw any more attention than I already have.

  "Hey Schmidt, what happened to Officer Hahn?", Private Lambert laughs cruelly from across the river. "I don't know, he was yelling in my ear one second then gone the next. Fell down the pit I guess.", I say, planting a grin on my face.

  I can't give them any ideas.

 Just have to keep up the act for a little while longer.

  "It's about time he left, I hate Germans. No offense Schmidt.", he says, his insult obviously intended for me and Danny.

  "We Germans happen to be very good at hand-to-hand combat, so I'd watch myself if I were you, mister, I can't shoot a gun for nothin'", I snap back, my accent is thick, slurring a few words together.

  "My apologies sir, it won't happen again.", he says, the humor leaving his voice, replaced by fear.

  "Zat's what I thought.", I say, tears threatening to fall down my face.

  I cross the small river and enter my tent, where I zip up the door behind me. I can feel hot tears stream down my face and choke up in my throat.

  What am I going to tell dad?

  How am I going to tell him that his only son is dead?

  And that his daughter couldn't save him?

  Don't be so hard on yourself Edith, they were dragging him down with 200 pounds of weights, he let go of your hand.

  But he was my only brother!

  Please, god, I need him back!

  Take me instead, he was always the better child, please!

  I hear a faint tap on the fabric of my tent. I straighten myself up and wipe my tears, putting on a cruel, manly face.

  "Private Schmidt?", a small black boy asks? "Yes kid, that's me.", I say, taking the note from his outstretched hand. "Thanks kid, what do I owe ya?", I ask, reaching into my pocket for a coin.

  "Your German?", he asks, ignoring my question. "Yes, got a problem?", I ask, handing him an American coin. He takes it, "No sir, my pappy says Germans don't come to America unless they're very important. Are you important?", he asks, his eyes wide.

  "I've come to America as a representative of all German soldiers fighting against Hitler. There aren't may of us but, we're fighting to save all those people that he's hurting. Kapesh?", I say, my voice serious.

  "Yes sir.", he says, saluting me. "Your alright kid, now get out of here.", I say, waving him away.

  He leaves after saluting me once more.

  I zip up the tent flap behind him and open the note. It's in English:

Private Schmidt,

 

  I have recently been informed of your Commanding Officer Hahn's death. He was a brave soldier and will be dearly missed.

  I wish to inform you that you will be taking his place, being the only other German that has any experience of being a leader of men.

  I expect great things from you.


               Sincerely, Captain Jones

  They kill my brother then ask me to take his place?

  What do Americans have against the Germans?

  We are good people!

  Well, almost all of us.

  

 

 



© 2014 Bri


Author's Note

Bri
Please tell me if I should continue.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hi Bri. Yep! You should continue. I think it has the makings of something special. I'm definitely interested in learning more about Edith. How will she transition into her new role? What happens when her facade disappears (assuming it does disappear eventually)? Why is her dad in danger? (Just some questions I hope will be answered). Thank you for sharing! - Dene LaRue

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Bri

10 Years Ago

Yeah, thanks for commenting! I'll be sure to continue with Edith's story!



Reviews

I think you should keep going it was very interesting

Posted 10 Years Ago


Good keep going but check grammar

Posted 10 Years Ago


MAKE MORE BRI!!!
Sheri~~

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hi Bri. Yep! You should continue. I think it has the makings of something special. I'm definitely interested in learning more about Edith. How will she transition into her new role? What happens when her facade disappears (assuming it does disappear eventually)? Why is her dad in danger? (Just some questions I hope will be answered). Thank you for sharing! - Dene LaRue

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Bri

10 Years Ago

Yeah, thanks for commenting! I'll be sure to continue with Edith's story!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
4 Reviews
Added on January 2, 2014
Last Updated on January 3, 2014
Tags: love, dad, sad, empty, romance, fun, tale, story, book, special, long, nice, friendly, lovely, beautiful, new, girl, awesome, bombastic, fantastic, love me


Author

Bri
Bri

Writer's City , CA



About
I try to go through all of my read requests once a week, so, please be patient with me!!! I'm an artist of all sorts. I've been writing stories since I could first hold a pe.. more..

Writing
Not That bad Not That bad

A Poem by Bri


Ch. 1 Stay Silent Ch. 1 Stay Silent

A Chapter by Bri


Ch. 2 Finally Home Ch. 2 Finally Home

A Chapter by Bri