A Mothers Night

A Mothers Night

A Story by Treylee

The darkness outside awakens her mind. She stirs and sits up in bed, her feet hit the floor quietly. Quietly. Quietly she opens the door leading out of their bedroom. She takes a quick peek behind her, the man she loves still fast asleep. That's what she should be doing, lying next to him contently asleep. But her mind won't settle, no not tonight. Tonight her thoughts are of wonder. Of her dreams, her wants, her what ifs. Of far away places and mountain tops. Stars and lights, languages and people. Sights she'd never see except for in her dreams.

The baby went down hard tonight. She fought against sleep with all her might. But the rocking chair won this battle. This time. When she was contently lying in her crib, I walked back to our room. The fan shushing away. Calling for me to lay down, to join my husband under the comfort of blankets and warmth. I give in, but I'm drawn more to the cold. The darkness has always been my friend. She brings on a kind of needed silence after all the noises and brightness of the day. So I slip away. My mind and the darkness winning me over. Maybe I should have rocked longer.

After pacing around the cool hardwood for a few minutes I settle on the couch. I grab my notebook and flip it open. ADVENTURE BOOK. That's what I see first, along with doodles of mountains and flowers. It brings a smile to my face. Licking my finger and turning to the next page I'm confronted with a list. THINGS TO DO. Nothing is checked off. But that's ok, there's time. When? I'm not sure, but there's time. There's always time. Until there's not. But I don't think about that. I read over the list like I don't know what's written down. Really though, I could read the list with my eyes closed.

A cry. That didn't last long. Maybe the rocking chair has met its match. She gets up with a smile on her face. It's okay. It's all going to be okay. She walks to her daughters room. On the way she thanks the darkness and the cold for the quietness and peace it gave her. Even if only for a few minutes. She passes their room and hears snoring. Almost a year and that baby has never woken him up. She smiles again. That's ok. He works hard. She wonders if he has any idea that in reality she usually gets less sleep than him at night. Oh well. Not going to let her mind wonder there.

Once she enters her little girls room and scoops her up the crying ends. She sits down in the rocking chair. A little body clings to her shoulder, arms wrapped around her neck. She can feel the grip getting looser and looser. But she continues with her rocking and her stories. Her voice not only comforting her daughter but also herself. She tells her little girl stories of mountains and canyons, of stars and lights. Of far away places and all the things they're going to do and see. Reading off the list in the dark from her adventure book. She slowly closes her eyes, and this time she's joined in her sleep. A little hand holding hers, while they both experience her dreams.

© 2016 Treylee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on April 28, 2016
Last Updated on April 29, 2016
Tags: Mother, motherhood, parents, dreams, travel, exploring, darkness, night, cold, silent, cry, children, daughter, bond, sleep, story, short story

Author

Treylee
Treylee

San Diego , CA



About
Im a stay at home mom, a photographer, adventurer, and blogger at wyobab.com. I love to write and have never really felt comfortable putting my pieces out there but I thought why not. Im an old soul w.. more..

Writing
Storm Storm

A Poem by Treylee


War War

A Poem by Treylee


My seasons My seasons

A Story by Treylee