Liquid Ladders

Liquid Ladders

A Poem by Tracie Skarbo

Dorothy climbs up her liquid ladders

Ascending to her secret heaven

She beats on her soul

Clamoring for attention

 

Night comes and under the stars

Dorothy visits with the planets position

Seeing rainbows within Saturn’s rings

While Grandfather Moon tends the harvest

 

Peering out of cracks

Of her silken aloneness

She tends to the webs of her

Woven fantasy

 

The burgundy overtones

Have scorched their names

Within the echoes

Of her memories

 

Shrill and bray words

Erupt from her

In bouts of

Ceaseless movement

 

And I fear time drawing closer

Closing in

I feel small

Because it is not my fight

 

Dorothy and I, so similar;

At different times

We tread in the same shoes,

See through the same mirror

 

Yet we are not the same,

And although I have the sensation

That I am forever on a see-saw

With Dorothy on the other end

 

I have to let the dervish spin,

The tides draw out,

And the sun set,

So she can learn to live again

 

 

© 2010 Tracie Skarbo


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Lots to think about here. I think we can all fill in the blanks of "Dorothy for me is___, and she came to be because ___."

"Dorothy climbs up her liquid ladders
Ascending to her secret heaven
She beats on her soul
Clamoring for attention"

What an excellent beginning. Really grabs my attention. Very thought provoking. Mysterious.



Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Oh my! I am impressed. I love this my poetic friend....to my favorites with you!

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I love this Tracie, also the comments & views -Dorothy, and Charlotte!
We could add Orphan Annie also, with her love of rainbows & optimism
in the face of odds. Love the first two lines & the last dervish spin ones.
It reminds me of a mother/daughter, one coming from the other, and
the letting go as the person passes to God. It is not your fight, but it is.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

And welcome back.
Alex.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Absolutely superbe. We all want to climb out of Kansas, and we all see the Dorothy in us getting older, even dying. We want to fight on the Dorothy's behalf, for her fight is 'our' fight. But often we cannot.
Follow the yellow brick ode.
ATB
Alex.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well, unless I read this wrong, you had a pet spider when you were young? "Liquid ladders", in my mind, conjured the image of dew-soaked webs, early in the morning--quite apart from the fact that webbing was liquid before being sculpted! And a spider has to have the best attitude about luck and lack of than any other creature: what do you do when the web you wove--the stratagem you erected-- last night at great personal cost is instantaneously destroyed by some unthinking biped blustering through it?...well, you start over, is what. Of course, one can't discuss spiders without bringing Charlotte in, and the image of her offspring setting sail to begin their lives whither fate and the breeze carry them is very applicable to a poet's imaginings, too, I think....

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"Liquid Ladders" makes me think of DNA. "Dorothy" summons the Wizard of Oz.

This poem speaks to me of the contrast between reality and imagination, of how they must intertwine for evolution, and otherwise a kind of phase-dance, of who's in the mirror.

The human psychophysical instrument is the most sophisticated we'll ever encounter, as provisional "self," or as provisional "other."

The more we learn to differentiate from within a greater sense of inner space, the more our various selves and interfaces play out happily and fruitfully.

Stimulating, thought-provoking piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I am so happy to see your here again and sad about OS. I have to say that this is a life lesson wrapped in beautiful images and unbelievable writing. I often find myself wondering about the importance of individuality and how we retain that sense when we are all so much alike and the evidence is constantly thrown in front of us, we trample it, breathe it kick it around, but in the end, The "I" survives and separates from the organism. Great though provoking stuff....I loved it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Missed your writing .. but this beauty is worth waiting for. You take me riding in a world of surreal exploration for .. hidden self, looking for that other side, that other place, knowing it exists. The mirror searches ..

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

an intergalactic over the rainbow, lady. Well done in the presentment of this piece. I really liked the way you've out lined an escape plan and a supposing, only to grab the readers hand and wink knowingly.

viva la

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Bud
No matter which end of the spectrum we view the light, it always seems to offer an alternate shade by which to see. Much like water under the bridge... it all depends on what part of the bridge you are observing from. On the up side... it simply flows on by in a beautiful manner. On the underside, it rages war against you leaving you in a frantic state begging to live. Outstanding.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1519 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on October 5, 2010
Last Updated on October 5, 2010

Author

Tracie Skarbo
Tracie Skarbo

Canada



About
Learning consists of daily accumulating. The practice of the Tao consists of daily diminishing; decreasing and decreasing, until doing nothing. When nothing is done, nothing is left undone. True.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Black Swan Black Swan

A Poem by OT