Night(Last)

Night(Last)

A Story by E.Montgomery
"

A woman has an unsatisfying life with her husband which causes her to abuse the use of alcohol.

"
The door slammed. As I looked up from my book a figure was sprinting towards me. Daniel. He dived in to my, now open and welcoming arms. I inhaled his scent, a rich, puple lavander. My favorite. I savoured every last momment because I knew....Mark. He came in and dumped himself- and his bag- on the couch opposite. Silence;for two minutes at least. Eventually, without eye contact he told me-
"I'm going out with the boys tonight." and, without a word, he left. I place Danny down and storm after him.
"Aren't you going to say goodbye to your family?"
"Bye Danny," he said, and without even turning to face us, he left with Daniel's trust and my little love for him. I push the thoughts to the back of my head, smiled, and stoll back into the living room.

It was 8. Bed time for Danny. 30 minutes until my daily relief. Today, of all days, I needed it the most. 
"Bed time, Danny." He happily jumped from my lap and skipped away. Though, not long after, he returned and made himself comfortable on the couch. He glances over to me. 
"Bed Danny!" He averted his attention elsewhere. I whince. Rebecca looks over at me. She's now old enough to know the rule. No drink until Danny goes to bed. 
"Go and put your jammies on Daniel!"Daniel sighed and then did what Becca told him to do. Like always. It doesn't annoy me. It gives me hope. I give her as much of a smile as I could and follow Danny up stairs. He took forever to get changed. I admire his delacacy. Just not now. Not today....his jammies are on backwards. 
"It doesn't matter honey,"I tell him, urgency breaking through my voice. He shruggs and dives into bed. 8:36.I head to the kitchen. 
"Mummy, book?" I forgot. I read him a book every night;it would be cheating if I didn't. I pick one. His favourite, about a cat. He knows every single word.
"Stop thinking, read Piper."
"The cat stumbled and tripped. he.."
"She"he corrected.
"She was playing with another ball..."
"Cat, she is playing with another cat."
"Cat, she.."
"Start from the beggining mummy".My eyes feel like they're on fire, it's a chore just keeping them open. I want to scream. I'm made of cement. 
"Shut up or I'll bash your face in. Your'e so fuc..."No Piper, Read!
I finish. He's happy enough. My hands shake as I tuck him in. It's the latest it has ever been. I head to the kitchen. 
"Goodnight mummy". The keys. They're in the car. I head to the car.
"Mummy, goodnight?"I forgot. I blow him a kiss, flash him a smile, and leave. My limbs, now unstiffened, turn to jelly. I almost fall downstairs. I head to the kitchen. No, to the car. The keys are in the car. Darkness, again. 5 times it took to get the door unlocked. No keys. I whince. My jaw shook in anger. I march myself back insode, straight to the cabinet. It's locked. Cold floor. Shaking didn't work.
"Break the lock" Yes...The lock can't break. The room is spinning. This can't be real.
"The pan, in your hand..". Relief surged through my body.The lock did not break, but the door did. Fragments of wood surround me. The cabinet opens. The sound of the "pop" is music to my ears. 
"No more suffering." No shaking Piper. Into the glass. Glug glug. Daniel. I march up stairs. Daniel's sound asleep. Thumb in mouth. Back downstairs. The cabinet opens. The sound of the "pop" is music to my ears. 
"No more suffering."
No shaking Piper. Into the glass. Glug glug. Daniel. I drag myself up stairs. Daniel's sound asleep. Covering the full of his small bed in a star shape. Back downstairs. The cabinet opens. The sound of the "pop" is music to my ears. 
"No more suffering". No shaking Piper. Into the glass."mum". Glug glug. Daniel. I crawl up stairs. The house is still spinning. Daniel's still stirring. He hadn't noticed me. I tiptoe quietly out in hope he would fall asleep on his own. He usually goes straight to sleep. I stumble back downstairs. The light seemed brighter than it was. The cabinet opens."Mum".The sound of the "pst" is music to my ears. 
"No more suffering." No shaking Piper. Into the glass. "MUM!" Glug glug. A warm hand appears on mine.
"Hi dear". Becca looked sad. Something was bothering her. 
"Not true, she's a perfect little girl." Daniel. I climb up stairs. He's sitting up. Clearly fighting sleep. His eyes are all blotched.
"Honey, get back to sleep".Back downstairs. "Please stop!" The cabinet opens. "Hello..ambulance please." The sound of the "Psssssssssssss"... The bottle warms my ice cold lips. The liquid travels down my throat, like an endless, warm, waterfall;don't forget warm Piper... In spain. I am in Spain. Colourfull lights dance around me. Noise engulfs me and my happiness. My loved ones are here. I must be in Spain. Becca strokes my hair with her warm hands. Daniel huggs my arm like he'd never let go. Other people are around me too. Though they're being swallowed by darkness. Becca smiles. It's bright. Too bright. I close my eyes. Darkness. No more suffering. 

© 2017 E.Montgomery


Author's Note

E.Montgomery
This is my first story I have written. I would really appreciate honest reviews about my writing. Also, I hope you've noticed my use of sentence structure and different texts to show different types of dialogue.One last thing, please don't critisize for any errors in spelling or grammer as I have not looked over my writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
Added on July 2, 2017
Last Updated on July 2, 2017
Tags: Alcoholics, Abuse, Suicide, Death, Depression

Author

E.Montgomery
E.Montgomery

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
My name is Emma and I am a proffesional musician who is passionate for writing and reading. I compete in the champions around the world with my bagpipes and i am in many orchestras and bands with my o.. more..