My Top 5 Sporting Events of 2015

My Top 5 Sporting Events of 2015

A Story by Trent Keitel
"

As a huge fan of sports, I enjoy attending as many sporting events possible. This past year I was fortunate enough to travel and witness some amazing events.

"
#1 Outback Bowl (January) 

The 2015 year started with a bang! I attended the nerve-racking Outback Bowl between SEC powerhouse Auburn and the run-happy Badgers of Wisconsin. What an experience, if you have never been to a bowl game, go to one! Melvin Gordon and Cameron Artis-Payne were running wild for their respective teams. Refer to my "2015 Outback Bowl" piece for more. Long story short, the Badgers won in overtime after Auburn kicker Daniel Carlson doinked the potential tying field goal off the post. I'll never forget the moment the kick left his leg, "He pushed it!!! He pushed it!!!" 

#2 Brickyard 400 (July) 

As we all know, it was Jeff Gordon's farewell tour this past season and I needed to see him at least one more time in live action. The Brickyard 400 is a historic NASCAR race and Gordon won the inaugural race in 1994. Gordon has been my favorite driver my whole life, and seeing him zoom around the track was both exciting and nostalgic. His day was not as successful as hoped, but it was an unforgettable experience. (Thanks Mom for the tickets!)



#3 PGA Championship (August)

I only attended two practice rounds, but anytime anyone gets a chance to walk around Whistling Straits, they take the opportunity. I managed to get 3 autographs, one from Ryan Palmer, Brandt Snedeker and some guy named Jason Day, you may have heard of him?

#4 Cleveland Indians vs. Chicago Cubs (August)

The reason for attending this game was solely to see my favorite player, Kyle Schwarber in real life. It was awesome to see Schwarber, but his performance was not, he went 0-4 with four strikeouts. Tigers Corey Kluber and Cubs Jon Lester were in a good ol' fashion pitcher's duel, Kluber took a perfect game into the 6th inning. The Cubs had the last laugh as future NL Rookie of the Year, Kris Bryant connected on a walk-off home run that sent the Friendly Confines into a frenzy! 
#5 San Diego Chargers vs. Green Bay Packers (October)

Anytime you go to Lambeau Field it's a great time, especially when you go with your buddies. We had a great time tailgating with Packer Nation and when kick-off time rolled around we headed toward the gates, to enter the Frozen Tundra (although it was a warm day for October in Wisconsin). This was a great game to be at, seeing Melvin Gordon back in Wisconsin, as a professional and watching Philip Rivers torch my beloved Packers for 503 yards through the air. At the end of the day, the Packers prevailed and picked up a 27-20 victory and my buddies and I had a blast!

Honorable Mentions

Wisconsin Badgers vs. Purdue Boilermakers - Volleyball (October) 

This was my first Badgers volleyball game, I did not know how electric the UW-Fieldhouse was, what an atmosphere!

Louisville Bats vs. Indianapolis Indians - MiLB (July)

It is always fun watching Minor League Baseball, this game went into extra-innings and almost saw a bench clearing brawl. The Bats won 4-2 in 10 innings off a game-winning two-run single by Brennan Boesch.

Camping World 500 - NASCAR (March)

This was the first go around of me heading to a race track to see Jeff Gordon on his farewell tour, Phoenix International Raceway is in the middle of nowheresville Arizona, but it is an awesome track.

© 2015 Trent Keitel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
Added on December 28, 2015
Last Updated on December 28, 2015
Tags: Wisconsin Badgers, Jeff Gordon, Chicago Cubs, NASCAR, Green Bay Packers, MiLB

Author

Trent Keitel
Trent Keitel

Sheboygan, WI



About
Communications Major with an emphasis in Journalism at Marian University (WI). Looking to become a sports writer. Always looking for advice to become a better writer. more..

Writing