Caveo of Mortalitas

Caveo of Mortalitas

A Story by Treo LeGigeo
"

In the midst of life we are in death. Life is precious. We must take while we can.

"
I see

Black, a dark swirling cloud that spreads from before my eyes to the edges of my vision. Black, and nothing more.

I hear

The soft whispers, all around me, come now, join us, it is time…

I feel

Nothing.




I have nothing, no mind, no body, just a soul within the darkness. I see the clouds, hear the whispers, though I am not sure whether or not "see" and "hear" are the right words, for I have no ears, no eyes; I just know.

Come now…The whispers are beckoning. But no, I'm not going to listen.

Join us… But I can't. I have a life to live, a full one, not one cut short so unfairly like this. 

It is time… But why? Why must it be time? I want my body, my mind, my life. It's too early, I'm too young.

We are all young, young in the face of forever. Life is only the beginning… But I don't want to leave, I want to stay with my family, my friends, my husband, my children. I want to stay.

Silence

then

Why?
Why? Why would I want to stay in the world, with the people I love? Why would I not? I had everything there, and nothing here.

Is that what you truly believe?
…shouldn't it be?

You have much to learn, dear child.
What?

Sometimes, things that appear as gifts may indeed be demons in disguise. 
…I don't understand.

Nor did we.
So tell me.

It cannot be explained…
Alright, so-

But it can be shown.
But it can be, wait wha-

But before I could finish, everything changed. The clouds dissolved, the whispers died, the scene disappeared.



"Honey, Honey it's time to wake up."

I opened my eyes… it couldn't be …and was met with the face of my smiling husband.

"There we go. Come on, breakfast is already on the table."

"Sam?" The name was breathed so softly it was barely audible.

"Oh, and I've got a work conference this morning, so you'll have to take the kids to school."

Work conference? Kids to school? That meant… Oh god.

"I can't do it."

My husband turning from the mirror that he was standing in front of to fasten his tie. "Why not?"

"Because," what could I say? "I don't know, I just feel that something bad is going to happen."

"Yeah, right," my husband replied, turning back to adjust his tie. "Seriously dear, you need to go."

"Sam," I couldn't just let this happen. I got up, walking quickly toward him and wrapping my arms around his chest. "How about you drop the kids, then come back here. We can go out today, just the two of us."

"Honey," he laughed, shaking me off, "I can't skip this, just drop the kids and let me get ready."

"No." I grabbed his shoulders, pulling him into a kiss, trying to savour the moment, committing every detail to memory. It would be our last. "Come on Sam, just one day."

"Ah geez," he pushed me off again and turned back to the mirror, "I don't know what's gotten into you today, but my work is important and I can't just skip."

"But I, I…" I don't believe it. I'm going to die today and my husband cares more about work than about me. I looked at him, now brushing down his suit, trying to memorise very pane of his face, of his body. Oh why won't he look at me, he won't even have a proper memory of his wife of eight years. Why did we never realise that today could be our last?

"Standing there won't be much help. Really, they're going to be late."

It hurts. Our last day together, and we shared nothing. No love, no feelings. It hurts.

"Okay, I'll go."



I barely remembered taking my two children to the car, or driving up the long meandering road to drop them at their primary school.

But this time, when I saw the sports car zipping round the corner, I didn't scream. I didn't brake.

Instead, I welcomed the oblivion. It didn't seem so daunting anymore.



Do you see?
Yes, I never realised that we miss so much in our life.

It is not important now. Your mortal life is passed. The next now awaits you, a world that is not complicated by the needs of the body or the emotions of the mind. A world which is merely existence. Like us.



A world with no pain, no heartbreak, no nothing. Suddenly, I wasn't reluctant. Suddenly, I saw the wonder that was that world, and the perfection it had. Suddenly, I wanted to move on.


Are you ready to pass through?
Yes, I think I am.



The scene changed again, but instead of dying down, the whispers began to build, louder and louder in a cacophony of noise. A light shone through, from somewhere in the abyss, a beacon though the darkness.

And the clouds parted.

I turned my gaze to the figure within the parted clouds, robed in black with the deadly blade at his side. I moved toward him.

I am ready.

© 2013 Treo LeGigeo


Author's Note

Treo LeGigeo
In the midst of life we are in death. Life is precious.

We must take while we can.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I grabbed his shoulders, pulling him into a kiss, trying to savour the moment, - I think its supposed to be spelled savior

suit, trying to memorise very pane of his face, of his body. - memories

Why did we never realise that today could be our last? - realize

I didn't brake.- break

Yes, I never realised that we miss so much in our life.- realized

again, another great write. Work on spelling. Use Microsoft for spell checking :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow, I'm speechless. You are indeed one of my most favorite writers on this site. I always look forward to the read requests you send me. You should be published, everywhere. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


That was... amazing. I loved it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


i loved it

Posted 13 Years Ago


Beautiful

Posted 13 Years Ago


I was immediately intrigued by the title and so glad I came for the read. This is so well written (though I still wouldn't want to go;) Excellent style and keeps the reader captivated to the very end. Excellent!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I had this feeling of doom one afternoon when I first graduated from college. I had a job interview that afternoon. Something kept telling me not to go. But I went, and a truck ran into the back of my car on the interstate. It totalled my car. Come to find out, the guy that was supposed to interview me, didn't show up at work that day. Sometimes the higher powers are at work, trying to warn us I believe.

Posted 13 Years Ago


beautiful, although I'm not so convinced that such a simple altercation could induce the bravery to let go or the want for numbness, you argue it well but it seems too trivial for her to be so willing to embrace the cloaked figure, to say goodbye to all she has in life, her husband and children. But the theme and ending is beautiful, she accepts, if not welcomes the inevitable :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is wonderful, mortal. A beautiful portray of emotions and just so very powerful, I simply loved it; very shocking, very stunning. Great work~

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1425 Views
14 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 16, 2010
Last Updated on April 3, 2013
Tags: Death, Grim, Reaper, Life, Choice, Next, World, Move, On, Cross, Over, Car, Crash, Husband, Children, Sad, Tragedy

Author

Treo LeGigeo
Treo LeGigeo

Sydney, NSW, Australia



About
I'm from Australia, so some people may find that I spell things differently. I love writing and have had a couple of publications of short stories and novellas under a pseudonym. I started .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Milagro Milagro

A Story by Treo LeGigeo


The Snow The Snow

A Story by Treo LeGigeo


Somnium Somnium

A Poem by Treo LeGigeo