One More Drink

One More Drink

A Story by Treo LeGigeo
"

“You want to get a drink?”

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of One More Drink.



“You want to get a drink?”

 

Six words. Six little words casually spoken by an innocent man without any idea of their implications.

 

 

“You want to get a drink?”

 

It was only a reunion with an old friend; it was not supposed to become a battlefield. One moment I’m strolling down the street chatting light-heartedly with a mate from school, the next my world is threatening to crash down around me.

 

 

“You want to get a drink?”

 

To him it may mean nothing but a simple boy’s night out, but to me it means much, much more.

 

 

"You want to get a drink?" 

Anxiety, depression, obsession, not caring what I did, who I hurt, how much I lost as long it got me a pint. Bystanders attacked and robbed when cash ran low, barmen beaten and stabbed after refusing to give any more, and every last cent and possession sacrificed.


"You want to get a drink? 

Often I woke in pain, sometimes in strange places with no memory of how I got there, sometimes in ER. It was terrifying, horrifying, and killing me, but I couldn't stop.


"You want to get a drink?" 


And even when I finally did, it never quite left me.


"You want to get a drink?" 

They say half the battle is lost with the first sip. That the taste can never be forgotten, that the thirst and the craving never disappear. Those six words, and I am suddenly very aware of the dryness of my throat, the longing in my belly, the need in my body.


"You want to get a drink?" 

But I also remember what I've gained. The steady job I finally attained after years of unreliability, the spacious house I only just finished paying off the previous month, the wonderful son who admires me and looks up to me, and the beautiful wife who loves me despite everything I'd done and was the one to first help me stop.

 

“No thanks, I don’t drink.”

 

Half may be lost, but half is still being fought. There will be no end, no final battle; I’ll never stop wanting just one more drink.

 

But I have too much to lose now, and if I have to fight for the rest of my life, I will do it.

© 2010 Treo LeGigeo


Author's Note

Treo LeGigeo
This is a bit of an experiment, nothing like anything I've written before. I would appreciate it if you would let me know what you think I can improve.



Featured Review

Many individuals deal with addiction, alchohol, drugs, whatever...it's impulsive, can take over lives until, without a fix, you find yourself doing anything to get it, like a (wo)man possessed. The battle doesn't stop at the last drink, or the final upheavel of everything you've worked towards becoming and obtaining... this story puts those aftershocks into words, where one innocent line can cause so much unresolved damage. Very beautifully written, I think.
- Kiyo

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Bravo! Excellent and uplifting story. My family is riddled with addictive personalities, including me. You describe an addiction so well. For me it's not a drink. Whatever addiction you have, it's that thirst for what you need that compels us. Look at all that was gained by abstaining. Loved it!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great Job :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Sam
I think this was nice. It seems like (to me) now a days, there is no..... 'no'. I enjoyed this a lot.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


if this was something just thrown together, then what you take time to actually think through would just boggle the mind. this was great, a nice way to show the plight of the recovering alcoholic. it is a fight until the day they die not to relapse, the same as anyone else fighting any other kind of addiction

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was really good, very intriguing, I enjoyed the repitition a lot, made it really interesting and kept pulling me along. Good job, keep it up!~

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting, yes, it's really great you try something new! Yes, longer, you have made it a VERY great start, so why dont add more desciption? I really hope you will write something like this again! Very Nice Written, keep it up!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very interesting! I love that you're trying something different here. I'd have liked if you'd made it a little longer, though; a little more descriptive. Perhaps elaborate more on the addiction. Loved the writing style!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago



5
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on December 25, 2010
Last Updated on December 26, 2010
Tags: Alcohol, Alcoholism, Drunk, Drinking, Alcoholic
Previous Versions

Author

Treo LeGigeo
Treo LeGigeo

Sydney, NSW, Australia



About
I'm from Australia, so some people may find that I spell things differently. I love writing and have had a couple of publications of short stories and novellas under a pseudonym. I started .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Somnium Somnium

A Poem by Treo LeGigeo


Why Why

A Poem by So Sick of Love


The Snow The Snow

A Story by Treo LeGigeo