Builders of rubble in rebels

Builders of rubble in rebels

A Story by Steven
"

i typed this out of an idea in the middle of the night

"

“What’s wrong?” asked the guard escorting the chief builder…the chief builders face revealed everything about what he was thinking. "Well" responded the builder, “I try not to go to parts of the castle I haven’t repaired or built”. "Why is that?" asked the escorting. (Guard as they were taking a left down a narrow hallway.) Well this is untouched territory there is too many unknown elements in work that’s not being witnessed while in process. (Now halfway to the barine’s corridor passing several wooden doors and windows.) The guard pondered for a moment then continued, “How much of the castle have you worked on?” The response was given immediately by the builder. “Everywhere but the center of these imperial chambers.” As he said that a board that shared both their weight for a step creaked like a watch dog howl. Both glancing at one another, the guard now gained some distance to prevent further events. “Here we are” sighed the guard.

Three knocks were answered with a come in. as the guard opened the door the builder still didn’t make eye contact even when he walked past. As soon as the builder crossed the thresh hold the guard sighed again and closed the door slowly.

Good evening said the baron. Evening said the builder.

“Do you know why I have called you builder?” “No sir” said the builder. Well continued the baron “there are pressing matters of revenue that must be inspected and kingdom security.” “Money and security sir?”

“Yes builder! You see I have a problem” “invested most of your life to improve, repair, and modify this kingdom.” Not knowing how to respond the builder stood gazing. “Builder, the security problem is…” then saying with no eye contact, “you.” The builder felt a jolt of fear run down his spine. His hands suddenly felt fatigue and his knees started to shake.“How sire have I assumed such a guilt?” The baron, still refusing to make eye contact, “builder, if I were to let you go who is to stop you from accepting a large bribe that would cover you for the rest of your life for crucial weak point in our structures?” As the builder began to respond the baron continued. “Or who’s to stop you from sabotaging our walls or castle to create work?” The builder raised his eyebrows as the quite wait for answers consumed the room then the builder spoke. As he spoke he felt like a rope was already around his neck on the very gallows he built. “My dear baron, what satisfactory guarantee can I give to ease my lords’ mind and cease these accusations that are not rightly given?” “Live in a cell you did not build for the rest of your life.” the baron responded. The brick in the walls seem to take away his breath to prevent speech. Still the baron continued “ I have chosen and am sure this is the best way to insure your loyalty. What say you builder?”

The builder’s vision completely clear now and able to breathe while the shock dissipated. “It seems” said the builder “I have very little choice but to agree.”

“Very good!” with a slight wave of the hand three guards appeared out of nowhere taking hold of the builder while one took the lead escorting position. While turning to walk away a cough once again started to erupt from the barren with a comment of hope “this one does the job” from the guard holding the builder’s right arm that was barley a whisper. As they walked out the door the lead escort waited for us to pass while closing the door. Then the walk started.

© 2013 Steven


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

did you change the ending? i don't remember some of the that ending from the one you sent me but i like it. watch out for the point-of-view's, you switched from third to first a few times, that can be confusing and threw me off a little.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Steven

11 Years Ago

thanks smee ill work on it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
1 Review
Added on October 1, 2012
Last Updated on January 30, 2013
Tags: think, deep, dialogue, short but good, quick read
Previous Versions

Author

Steven
Steven

havelock, NC



About
I write stories that will tell me how people are from there questions and responses. don't know how to get this dang picture right side up! more..

Writing