Bull of Happiness

Bull of Happiness

A Poem by Benjamin L. Weekly

Clutching happiness by both horns
Hold your legs tight to the saddle
Many people this bull has shorn
Right on their butt, end of battle!

If by chance he bucks you away
Don't be sad, it happens to all.
Get right back on, rejoin the fray:
a great big dusty, dirty brawl.

If at the end of your long fight
Happiness lets you ride his back
Relax, drink the sun big and bright
Since he bucks again when sadness' whip cracks

© 2008 Benjamin L. Weekly


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Grabbing the bull by the horns metaphorically would be making your own happiness I guess.
I don't care to ride any bull though and I'd like my joy to last more than 8 seconds.
A good read. I enjoyed it.

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow I really like this poem. This poem can be used as an analogy for many things in life. The analogy that I thought this represented is love. Never give up on love. But like said earlier, you can really use this for anything. Great job on this poem. I will use this as encouragement if there is ever a battle that may seem to be too much to handle at one time. Thanks for sharing this!

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very clever analogy of love - maybe even a touch of sex or am I being too perverted? Interesting to read an American vision - it's all a bit more mundane in the UK!

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is a cute little ditty. The concept is good and some imagery is very funny.

Many people this bull has shorn
Right on their butt, end of battle!

Since you're seeming to aim for a traditional rhyme and meter scheme, it might be worth playing with a word or syllable here and there to get your bucking bull to conform. For example, in the first line of the 2nd stanza, if you switch "if by chance he bucks you away" to "if by chance you're bucked away," it makes the meter consistent throughout that stanza. Little adjustments would all you would need to make this poem work very well.

Let me know if you'd rather suggestions be in a PM. People vary in terms of their comfort level.

David





Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 23, 2008

Author

Benjamin L. Weekly
Benjamin L. Weekly

Roseburg, OR



About
I am 22 years old and live in Roseburg, OR. I presently work full time. At my job, I handle second tier tech support by phone and answer emails for a major company. As such, I have the privilege of.. more..

Writing