How to review poetry!

How to review poetry!

A Story by Benjamin L. Weekly

Poems are different from stories in that they contain lots of unusual images and metaphors, however only to the untrained eye do poems appear to be "always good". This is a guide to those who wish to improve their ability at reviewing poems. This is my personal guide, that being said some people may disagree with some things written here, but I tried to write it so that everyone would be able to improve the quality of their reviews. Please check it out.

Here are the aspects of poems that I look at, in no particular order:

1. Images used.
Are the images fitting to the topic being discussed? For example, and this is an extreme example, vomit is not a fitting image in a poem about flowers. Look for any images that seem out of place, outlandish, etc. Then decide whether they add or detract from the work, and give your honest opinion.

2. Use of repetition.
First of all, determine if there is ANY repetition, then decide whether it works well, is not used enough, or is used too much. Give your honest opinion to the writer.

3. Structure
How is the poem formed? Is there a verse structure or are the lines all globbed together? By separating poetry into verses (strict poetry) or paragraphs (prose poetry), you make it easier to read and navigate. If you find the way the poem is structured bothersome to you, point it out and suggest they break it up a little. At times people will create poetry where different "voices" speak from the left side of the page, or the right side of the page. This means some of their lines will be on different sides of the screen. Be careful not to criticize them, as that is a style of poetry in itself. However, give your honest opinion of how it worked.

4. Line Length
This is a simple one: Sometimes people have what should be two lines in poetry ONE line, and sometimes they have what should be one line two, three, or four lines. Be sure to suggest a change if you feel the poem would flow better by merging or splitting lines.

5. Pausing
I always look for how pauses work. A pause can be implemented by line break, comma, semicolon, dash, etc. Look for these, and determine if they broke up the flow of the poem OR if they added to the poem by creating a dramatic effect. Also, look for anywhere where in the poem where two thoughts seemed to run together, and suggest a pause in these places. The writer will find this extremely helpful.

6. Rhyme
Determine whether the author uses rhymes or not. If they DO use rhymes, try to find the pattern they are using and point out anywhere where the words they use DO NOT rhyme. Also, look for places where they obviously changed the line around in order to rhyme a certain word, and tell them if the rest of the line suffered because of this. If they DON'T use rhymes, it's probably deliberate, and mentioning their abscence may irritate the writer.

7. Rhythm
As you read the poem, look for places where the flow of the poem changes, getting faster or slower. Try to determine whether the poem would be more enjoyable to you if there were more pauses (slower rhythm), or less pauses (faster rhythm) and WHERE in particular you feel they should do this. The author will appreciate your input.

8. Grammar/Sentence Structure
There is a common misconception that poetry is exempt from grammatical rules. This is NOT true. Poetry should still make sense grammatically, if it doesn't the reader will have to interrupt his reading to figure out how the line would read if it were proper English. While changing the grammatical structure may allow the author to rhyme certain words, or shorten/lengthen a line, it makes the reading suffer because the reader has to decipher it. Please point these lines that use "improper English grammar", and suggest how they can write the same line using "proper English grammar", thereby allowing the reader to immediately understand the line.

© 2008 Benjamin L. Weekly


Author's Note

Benjamin L. Weekly
It's been a while since I made this, but it still has many good points. I'll revise it eventually.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Some great points here and thanks for writing this. I've been spending a great deal of time reading work recently and am obviously very aware of what you are saying. I would love constructive critisism on my work especially if it enables me to write better things. Personally I think if you are going to go to a writers site there should be some kind of accurate review format. As there isn't I sadly go along with the flow unless I know the person well enough to suggest things to them. Maybe that it the ideal, sending a message to the person first then depending on the response making an appropriate comment. Yours is not the only comment I have read on this subject tonight. Thanks.

Posted 17 Years Ago


15 of 15 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like this cheat sheet, as it seems it might be called, if given to a person in a poetry class. It takes into consideration some of the most important pieces of honest criticism that one can give another writer to help them improve.

I do think there should be a 9th section, entitled "Time to Review Well" I find many people, including myself at times try to review a piece when they have to many other things going on at the moment. Make sure to budget a time, where you can review a piece well. Or else you're not really helping the writer, but rather hindering them.

The one apect that you have listed that I would normally exlude is that of form, when it comes to poetry. With all the newer free form styles and types of artists of the writen word that have come into existance, trying to tell another author that it's in bad form, can be construed as an insult. After all it's their imagination that created it, not ours.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm almost certain that if I could pin a poem to a board and dissect it that there would be a tiny still heart in there somewhere. Empathy and emotion are as important to the poem as any grammar rules.

There are so many things that are inherently different about poetry. In small spaces each and every word and punctuation mark must justify its place in the whole. There are no free rides in the genre of poetry. If it sounds right to my ear, then I know that this time I won't have to edit. Next time my ear may hear something that needs to be changed.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I had noted the candour and cadence of the site is that to give personal comment on the writing rather than critique it. I have fallen into line with that. I perceive many a writer hoping to get their point across or the underlying meaning of their poem as well and so I address that issue if I feel I've hit on it. Since it seems critique work is not the common accepted practice here. I understand the fragilities of the artist. My first reaction is generally one of; "What the Hell did you say?" I spent four years singing on stage; I feel the fear of the critics pen. However; your article states clearly the proper point of it, to make a better artist. Ideally the critique is not to cut down; but to build. When it is done properly and with a modicum of consideration it can be of great benefit to the artist. Yes I admit I have strayed clear for fear of offending the mass. I think Gary has the right idea to go by way of personal message to one you know a bit better and seeing what you get. Plus those who have entered into Jason's Black Seal have a group to go to as well.

I must also admit I am horrific when it comes to punctuating my poetry and was recently called out in a review on it. It has me reviewing my works for punctuation and that other nemesis; grammar.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent points. I might add one or two more. Does the writer use stock phrases, cliches or is there more imaginative use of language? Perhaps suggesting that the writer use uncommon phrases or find a different word to use which is more unexpected would spice up the poetry a bit. Also, familiarize yourself with poetic terms...simile, metaphor, alliteration, enjambment, etc and comment on these.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

good, sound advice...I thank you for sharing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You've created a guide to analyzing the style of the poem like a database program. You've completely left out any contemplation or intellectual engagement of the poems actual content. Unless you're one of these poets for whom style is the only content.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I read and reviewed your tips and think its great, even if some dont use them. I will keep these in mind when I go to my writing and review them before i submit a poem. We all are here to help each other, and share the thoughts that are bottled up inside. thanks for the tips again.

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

i expected to dislike this but its not bad, differant than how i review poetry, i tend to focus on emotional impact, or originality, i only focus on the nuts and bolts if the errors detract or distract from the poems intent

Posted 17 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

I still maintain that your interpretation of rhythm is wrong.

Posted 17 Years Ago


4 of 6 people found this review constructive.

you really suck the life outta things don't cha

Posted 17 Years Ago


5 of 8 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

676 Views
39 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 22, 2008

Author

Benjamin L. Weekly
Benjamin L. Weekly

Roseburg, OR



About
I am 22 years old and live in Roseburg, OR. I presently work full time. At my job, I handle second tier tech support by phone and answer emails for a major company. As such, I have the privilege of.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Poem A Poem

A Poem by Sean Allen


Meltdown Meltdown

A Poem by Bubo