That Evil Thing

That Evil Thing

A Poem by Gregory Hill
"

New poem... About war, longest one to make yet.

"

So many lives were broken,

As if nothing mattered,

So many children stricken,

And many nations scattered.

 

Now all flee for shelter,

But none of that comes soon,

We kill to save each other,

But doom ourselves to ruin.

 

Now our world lays crippled,

Our hands have crushed its spine,

Mortality rate has tripled,

Farewell, poor world of mine.

 

Though our world is dying,

People will not see,

They just keep right on killing,

Repeating history.

 

Now we are on the brink,

They wonder why one lives,

Because all strove to think,

 That earth is all there is.

 

But no one understood,

They killed for their belief,

They killed because they could,

And the world is swept with grief.

 

Now some come to realize,

That what we thought, was wrong,

We were fools who thought it wise,

Though this thinking won't last long.

 

All throughout the ages,

People there have seen,

The evil war engages,

Then return to the obscene.

 

So we are therefore cursed,

Marching to our beat,

That forever evil deed,

Destined to repeat.

© 2009 Gregory Hill


Author's Note

Gregory Hill
Help please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Now all flee for shelter,
But none of that comes soon,
We kill to save each other,
But doom ourselves to ruin."
Nice stanza, but ruin isn't the best rhyme with soon. Also, I don't understand the second line. But none of that comes soon? I don't understand.
"Now our world lays crippled,
Our hands have crushed its spine,
Mortality rate has tripled,
Farewell, poor world of mine."
First it's our world and then it's mine. I realize that mine is the rhyming word but maybe have the first one be, "And now my world lays crippled" y'know, actually, that doesn't sound so great. See what you think.
"That what we thought, was wrong," no need for the comma.
I noticed that some stanza's have the form A B C B, while others have the A B A B form. I'd say keep it consistent.
Anyway other than those things you did good. The more you write of these the better you get. And you've written a bunch of 'em.


Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I LOVED IT. It actually spoke to me in a deep way. Your poems are awesome

Posted 13 Years Ago


I enjoyed this piece! Great imagery (I don't think I spelled that right) and a very true point. I pictured war and maybe people's theory of 2012. But it could also relate to life.
Great job,
Jade

Posted 13 Years Ago


There's a lot of emotion I can tell is coming out of this poem. And I like that. The only thing I would say is that the point is clear, but not the reason or scenario. Do you understand what I mean? It's like the idea that you want to show is clear, but what is happening to the character (all stories need characters even if some are understood and not spoken; characters are what makes the writing have a purpose) at the moment of the poem. And the reason you want to tell people what this idea (or point) is about or how important it is (so important that you would actually want to tell people,) is unclear. (Read through that last sentence. Tried to fix it. Might still be confusing.) And the way you do this is not by cutting and pasting 'The reason is.....The scene is...." onto the outline, its by implying in the piece so that the reader understands, but is not told directly. It is actually very hard to do, and I am still trying to master it myself. It is a skill learned over time by finding new techniques and trying to work those techniques into ideas.

Other than that, I loved the poem. I really could tell how hard you work on it (or at least the emotion that came out of it) easily, which is good in a piece of writing. It shows that the reader understand the author's point of view in writing this.) Very well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Congrats a second time on your great winning poem!

Posted 14 Years Ago


You don't need any help with this piece. So well done! Thanks for entering my contest although you have already one a prize with this one. Good entry

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

You might want to change the title. Lalallalalalalalalalalalala, I'm on writers cafe FINALY!!!!!! Heehee, Im hiper right now. :) :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Congrats on your winning poem!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is not good. Not the poem, the message. I totally agree with this poem's overall message. It seems, however, that there are people in the world who simply can't live without terrible devastation and loss of lives by the thousand.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

powerfully expressed and strongly written!!! great job!!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your writing is very strong. What you say is all true. I just hope that the world itsself can see it. Great job!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

941 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on April 24, 2009
Last Updated on April 27, 2009

Author

Gregory Hill
Gregory Hill

Fallbrook, CA



About
Hi all I dont like writing about myself so I will be brief. I am 16 and I live in Fallbrook Ca. How much more brief can you get? I have some songs I like on here: more..

Writing
Prelude Prelude

A Chapter by Gregory Hill



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..