Tea Time

Tea Time

A Chapter by Tuff Stuff

 

 

I have always seen my life as an endless maze, in an endless cornfield, in an endless countryside, in an endless world, all put together in an endless universe where everything takes its place in different ways. This long endless sentence, that uses endless too much, makes me wonder how utterly disastrous my life has been and never will be again. All through my childhood I've always had that happy cheerful notion that kept me in the swing of things. Everyone knew me as the little annoying boy who got on your every last nerves. Once I had got into my early teens that description stood with me, but I wasn't the little annoying boy any more. I was the annoying, immature teen who never knew when to stop. Now I'm nineteen and a man. My life started to go down hill the very day I wanted to share teatime with Perks, My Uncle. I was nineteen at the time, and I was trying to convince perks that I was old enough to go on his so-called "journey".

 

 88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

 

 I was alarmed when the teakettle whistled in the kitchen suggesting it was time for tea. I ran over to the kitchen, turned of the stove, and grabbed two teabags from the upper pantry. I quickly came into the room with everything balanced in my hands; hoping to god I didn't drop anything. As I finished getting everything set up I ran to my room to get some new clothes on. I was wearing an old pair of sweat pants and a raggedy tee shirt that I knew was not going to give me a serious conversation with perks. I rounded the corner slipping in my socks, slamming the door open, and scrounged up a nice pair of pants and sweater. Perks was already sitting down in the living room apparently by the sound of the teakettle. I took a deep breath then approached to sit in the armchair opposite of him. His eyes shown clearly as if he were in a good mood which gave me absolute joy. His deep, sagging brown eyes suddenly turned sullen when he saw my worried face. He gave me a questioning look.

 

 "Is anything wrong Shandle?" Perks asked. I was still trying to calm myself down, but this whole conversation was keeping me on my toes. There was nothing more tempting for me to do right now then to run out the door, but I stood my ground and started to say what I had wanted to say for the longest time.

 

 "I was wondering if you could tell me more about stating your reasons to the king. I'm confused on how this is going to happen, and you haven't been talking about it much." I had my head turned the whole time and didn't dare look back until I was finished. Perks seemed to get the message that I was feeling very strongly about this, so he let me continue without interruption. "You haven't told me a lot about it.... or anything really since I was a kid." I was shaking now and sweat was starting down my nose. I wiped it off and waited for Perks to respond.

 

 

 "I know what you're trying to say Shandle, but I couldn't tell you anything until you were ready." I was fuming at this point. Not ready? What did that mean? I was ready all my life and I am not waiting any longer. All this time I was waiting for him, but in reality he was waiting for me? I looked over to see Perks awaiting my response. He had the same questioning look. His deep brown eyes were hypnotizing me just as they always did. I tried to avoid them as much as possible by turning back around.

 

 

"How come you couldn't tell me earlier? Why wasn't I ready? All this is.... is stating your reasons to the king. How hard could it be?" I knew this was the worst thing I could have possibly said because his face was fuming. His left leg started to twitch and he ran his huge hand through his hair.

 

 

 "This isn't just some silly trip I decided to take for a little vacation Shandle. It's more than that. You don't understand how guilty I'd feel if YOU were killed... If you were hurt! I cannot take a child." I jumped up almost instantly with my fists in the air.

 

 

"A child! I am not a child. I'm a man... who can... who can state those reasons himself if he had to. I'll be in my room." I screamed almost violently stomping up the stairs. I hadn't realized how cruel I'd been until I got to the last step and heard Perks cry for the first time. I peeked down and saw him with his head in his hands muttering something under his breath while tears came through his hands. I had never seen a grown man cry so hard. This was most likely the worst moment of my life. I ran back to my room and slammed the door behind me. I cursed and screamed until I looked in the mirror and saw my whole room torn apart and my eyes blood shot red. I collapsed on my bed praying that Perks was okay, but something told me he wasn't okay and that he was going to do something horribly wrong. The same feeing came stronger as I stepped out my bedroom and poked my head into the living room. I saw Perks looking out the window humming a tone that made me want to break down and cry. He seemed so broken that I had said what I said. I wanted to apologize, but he looked like he didn't want to be bothered. I knelt down behind the wall and spied on Perks. He had something clutched in his hand while he looked out the window. It was calm outside, and it seemed as if the whole world stood still and only Perks and I were moving. I felt my stomach twist at the sound of it. Perks kept running his hand through his hair and was now pacing the room mumbling to himself. I decided to come out when he went to sit in the armchair. His eyes once again grew as I stepped into the room. Everything was silent until Perks gave a yelp.

 

 “What?” I screamed jumping back. Perks jumped from the chair and knelt below the window gesturing me to duck as well. I crawled behind the armchair with Perks next to me slowly looking out the window then back down again. His eyes filled with fear.

 

 

 “Shandle. I want you to stay here and not to move until I tell you. Understand?”

 

  “What is it?” I asked. “Keep quiet.” Perks crawled into the lower cellar door. He turned to me before going down. “ Keep your mouth shut and don’t you dare be seen from the window.” He crawled down the steps while I waited eagerly for his return. I wanted to know more than anything what was outside. I wondered if it might have been soldiers or night’s men trying to remove us from the cottage just as Perks warned. My life was passing before my eyes. I remembered my parents dying and seeing Perks for the first time. I was wondering why Perks spent so much time in the lower cellar and how this could connect to his reasons to the king which I apparently knew little about. I heard loud muffled stomps coming up from the lower cellar. Perks crawled over and looked one more time out the window.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

"Perks your scaring me." Perks didn't respond. He kept his head up and studied every move they made. I wanted answers now. I wanted to know who was out there and  why Perks was so scared of them. "Please. Tell me what's going on. Please." I almost begged with my last please, but Perks refused to give me any information. "Fine." I pouted and crossed arms around my legs and looked down at the floor.

 

 

"Okay, Shandle... Shandle! Wake up." Perks said nudging me at my arm. I slowly opened my eyes and saw Perk's red, bloodshot eyes and paleness. I jumped a little at his appearance. He looked like something out of a scary movie. "I need you to lock all the windows and doors in the house. Hear me?" Perks ordered in a stern voice. I quickly stumbled to my feet and went for the first window I saw. 

 

"Perks, could you tell me what this is about. I think I should know!" I almost screamed. He just ignored me, and went down to the lower cellar. "Why can't he tell me?" I asked myself. Anger was pouring out of me. I don't know why I was so angry, but the anger I put into locking the windows and doors showed that I was angry as ever. Out of every window I looked out of was vacant. Just as it's always been ever since I lived in this house. I went to lock the last window when I tripped over a loose floor board and landed flat on my face. I felt something sting on the side of my cheek. I put my hand on top of it and found blood seeping through my fingers. At this time I felt the full force of pain in my face. I stumbled to lock the last window, then went straight to my room. 

 

 

 

I looked at myself in my mirror and saw someone who looked like me, but not quite as peppy as before. I sighed lying on my bed. I was so tired, but I new I couldn't sleep because I was too worried about Perks. I never saw him so distressed. I thought it might have been about his reasons to the king voyage, but something told me it was much worse. It was something he couldn't tell me about. But why? What could be so important? 

 

 



© 2008 Tuff Stuff


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I never read the whole thing great characters very entertainment i going to read the next ch

Posted 15 Years Ago


Interesting. You do have some typos that need correcting, in some areas it makes the reading rough, go back and read it over you'll see. You draw the reader into your story, the first lind with the endless use of endless almost turned me off until you acknowledge the use of it. It wasn't clear to me about the king, was he calling Perks the king?

I want to go on and learn waht happens next and how they got here in this story there are a lot of unanswered questions that makes the reader want to continue.

All in all it's a good write. continue. I'll read next chapter soon.



Posted 15 Years Ago


An interesting concept. I just wouldn't use such a 'BAM!' in your face color.

Posted 15 Years Ago


the first sentence is to long make it into two

Posted 15 Years Ago


The plot of a spy story. Great suspense, interesting plot. The death of his parents: another mystery. Emotional characters, many sided, round.

Posted 15 Years Ago


That's wonderful

Posted 15 Years Ago


I'll concentrate on commenting on the first paragraph.

Philosophical, yet with an undertone of humour. Clarity of expression. ' 'Ever' last nereves. ' It should be 'Every' last nerves. Attention to detail (which I usually don't worry about myself, though), is however very important for the BIG SUBMISSIONS to contests and publishers. Developing the habit (even against human nature) of actually correcting such minor mistakes instantly, rather then procrastinating, gets - in the long term - more things done and creates a far better product that you are putting 'out there'. Correct such mistakes whenever you can is my advice. Finally, the font colour you have chosen is too bright. If you are going to use blue, I suggest dark blue, as it will be easier on the eyes and less offputting to people who, otherwise, may have read your story.

Anyway, the introductory paragraph is interesting and worth the effort of writing out. I will hopefully get to the rest of it some time (although I am over consumed with writing tasks I have set myself at the moment, and promotion of my website). Take care. Daniel Daly - Noahide Books

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is really good. You did an excellent job in paining the picture here. The details were not only perfectly stated, but perfectly placed as well. I like when he says "I had been waiting for him but really he had been waiting for me." I know its not an exact quote but you know what I'm saying.
My only critisism is please, PLEASE toss in some paragraphs!
Very good write, though. Really.
:)

Posted 15 Years Ago


-pukes- I have the stomach fluuuu -groooan- I must finish this tomorrow, Icant right now

Posted 15 Years Ago


soooooooooooooooooooo looooooooooong yet sooooooooooooooooooo wonderful

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 10, 2008
Last Updated on August 3, 2008


Author

Tuff Stuff
Tuff Stuff

Surrey, England ><, England



About
I like to write! Which Element Are You?FireFire, Black Fire, Blue Fire, Lava, The Sun, etc.Click Here to Take This QuizBrought to you by YouThink.com quizzes and personality tests. Name Generators .. more..

Writing
The Aprisa The Aprisa

A Story by Tuff Stuff


A-MILE-HIGH A-MILE-HIGH

A Story by Tuff Stuff



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Me Me

A Chapter by Silver_Moon