Unknown Contact. Part 1

Unknown Contact. Part 1

A Story by Tytan82
"

The start of a Sci-fi story about our first starships.

"

Sci-Fi Epic



Three Days until Launch



Commander John Miller walks onto the bridge of the second star-ship to be commissioned by the Navy, built by THT Aerospace (Tera/Hans/Tytan). Miller has been the second-in-command of the Prometheus for the last two years. His training had been second-to-none. He is a tall, clean shaven young man, only twenty-four when he took this position. He walked tall, proud and with purpose. The bridge of the Prometheus is very clean and minimal. Only what needed to be there was there. A large viewing screen, consoles surrounding the captains chair which sits in the middle. One console, navigation directly in front of the captains chair.

“Commander on deck,” A voice called out. Everyone took a second to look at who had just entered the bridge.

“As you were,” Miller ordered. “Captain, engineering reports engines are back up and running. Ready to go when you are,” Miller sat down at his console. His console showed a little bit of everything that is going on with the Prometheus: damage, diagnostics, operations and such.

“What was wrong with them now Miller?” Captain Troy asked sounded more annoyed that pleased.

“Uuh, operator error sir,” this ship, like everything else, has her fair share of problems.

“Where is the Chief?”

“Still in sick-bay. I stopped by after the inspection, Dr. Haydon says a few more days sir.”

Troy let out a deep sigh, “Is he going to be ready for launch?

“Doc said he should be back by then.”

“Good. I need everybody a hundred percent in three days. We have three days to get this ship, ship-shape. No excuses.” Captain Troy is a determined man. Shorter than Miller, but still very intimidating when he walks. Short, strong, bald and very serious.

“We will be sir,” Miller swiveled in his chair to face the Captain, “trust me,” he said he a smile. He knew the Captain was right. This is a big day for the crew of the Prometheus. In three days the ship will leave Artemis Station for the first time. The first ship was the Phaeton.

Artemis Station was built just over fifty years ago. The Phaeton, the first starship, was built shortly after the station was finished. Artemis Station stood as testament to how far humans had come since the dark ages. The flagship of this small fleet is the Pegasus. The largest ship of the fleet, considered a battleship. These ships were not built as a weapon of destruction, but the Navy decided that it was better to be safe than sorry. So all three ships and the station have been fitted with an array of weapons.

Captain Troy glanced over at Miller, “I expect nothing less.”

At that moment three men came onto the bridge. Two security and one admiral. As they came out of the turbolift the security kept their distance a bit.

“What's going on admiral?” Miller asked standing up and turning to face the three men.

Talking to the captain, “I need you and your first officer to come with me,” he didn't say anything else at first. Both Troy and Miller looked at each other with stunned disbelief. “I am NOT asking.” The two security guards took position behind the captain. Troy slowly stood up and asked: “What is the meaning of this admiral? We have a launch in a few days we cannot be held up,”

“I do not have time for your charades captain. This directly affects the launch. Follow me.”

Admiral Williams turned and walked toward the lift. Captain Troy stood, straightened his uniform and headed toward the lift, Miller in pursuit. The lift doors closed. After a few moments, Miller break the thick silence: “Admiral, with respect, what is going on.”

“All will be explained when we get back to the station. Big changes are being handed down.” Nothing else was said until the five men reached the office of Fleet Admiral Claire Wolfe.


Fleet Admiral Wolfes' office over-looked the orbital shipyard, where The Pegasus is being built. Fleet Admiral Wolfe sat behind her modest-sized desk. There is only one chair in front of the desk. As the group of the five men approached the desk, Wolfe stood up. Miller had never seen Admiral Wolfe before. He found himself taken back by how attractive she is. She stood just under six feet, slim but fit. Her red hair curled in a single bun at the back of her head. A single grouping of hair hung to the side of her right eye.

“Gentlemen I assume you know President Davis. Mr. President, this is Captain Troy, and Commander Miller of the Prometheus,” as the president was introduced, Miller noticed that Davis is not the only guest in this room. A handful of other people who Miller can only assume are other officials and their assistants, “Captain, have a seat.” Troy sat uneasily in the black leather chair. The two security guards stood behind on either side of the now nervous captain. Miller stood directly behind his captain of ten years.

“Captain Troy, what can you tell me of the Leylon Station?” Wolfe asked.

“It was destroyed by a terrorist group.”

“We only ever caught a handful of them over the years. Leads captain, we have leads. Very good leads,” as Wolfe said this she stared directly at Troy. Reading him.

“Uh, you know, anything I can do to help of course.” The captain trying to act as casual as possible.

“Captain Troy, we have evidence of you collaborating with the suspected terrorist. How do you respond?” Wolfe asked walking around to the front of the desk to fully reveal herself, never taking her eyes off of Troy.

“What? The impossible!” Troy exclaimed.

Wolfe pressed a button on her desk. A screen lowered to cover the only window in the room. On the screen is a large version of a photo taken of the captain talking to someone. A few more, then the icing on the cake. A sound file of the captain: “That's right, we're scheduled to launch in three weeks. It has to happen then. Not before, not after. During the launch. It has to be public, and live on the news streams.”

“That isn't me, this is fake!” The captain shouted.

“Get him out of here. We need the names and locations of his conspirators. Whatever it takes.” Wolfe commanded. She looked at Miller. The only thing he could think at that moment was: Her eyes, I've never seen such green eyes.” She spoke to him, “sit,: she sat on the edge of her desk keeping her feet on the ground.

“Admiral, I...huh...I didn't...” The president cut him off.

“We know commander.” The president cut him off. “We had you checked out. We cannot be too safe in these times you understand?” President Davis had a startling deep voice that could be felt through the floor. Miller had never met Davis personally, or heard him speak in person. Right away he knew the president is not a man to be messed with.

“I understand sir. If there is anything I can do to make your investigation more complete,” Miller is still shocked at what had just transpired. His ship was now without a captain, the launch will be postponed until a replacement can be appointed.

“You will tell your crew that the captain has a personal emergency to deal with.” Admiral Wolfe continued. “Nothing more. Don't make any mistake, Captain, the launch will proceed with out problems,”

“Captain? I'm not sure I'm ready ma'am.”

“Modesty will get you anything, except out of a promotion. You are to report back to the Prometheus, and prep the ship for launch. We have a new commander on the way, who should be here tomorrow. Commander Brice Well. His personnel jacket will be transited to your quarters. If you have any question, I am sure Admiral Wolfe will be more that happy to help.” President Davis stood up, Miller, and Wolfe stood as well, “Good luck captain. I know you won't let us down. Admiral.” Davis walked out with his entourage in close tow.

Miller turned back to face Wolfe. She spoke: “I'm sorry captain that we could not tell you about any of this. You understand the need for secrecy. If word had gotten out we would have never found the attackers.”

“So you didn't trust me?” Miller asked.

“Captain, if we didn't trust you, you would be with Troy, and trust me being promoted is a much better option than the alternative. You will return to The Prometheus and ready the ship. Commander Well is very competent.” Wolfe came toward him. He could smell her, she smelled good, like fresh vanilla. “Captain,” she was almost toe-to-toe with Miller. He wanted to take a step back, not because she was intimidating, but of how beautiful she is he could now see her vivid green eyes, and a scar by her right eye that was being hidden by her hair, “don't worry about Davis, or Troy. Just focus on the task at hand and you will be fine,” she straightened up, “dismissed captain.” Miller saluted Wolfe. Before Miller turned she gave him a half-smile, just to try to reassure him that everything will be okay. He flashed a smiled back. Turned and left.

How could this happen. I've known the captain for years. We have trained for this for the last five years. Miller thought to himself as he made his way back to The Prometheus.




Captain Miller spent the rest of the night in his quarters reviewing Commander Wells personnel jacket: served in the Battle of The Shattered City, one of five survivors from the Massacre of Tamsk Plains, trained low-level officers for three years in Bandem Military Base. The list goes. “I can't wait to meet the guy.” Miller said out loud to himself. Turned out the lights and slept.



Aboard the Pheaton


The Pheaton is out beyond the last planet of star system running scanning missions. Looking for new planets, asteroids, anything new. No ship had ever been out this far before. Another human first.

“Captain, sensor sweep number 849 is complete. Nothing new to report,” an ensign reported. Captain Mclaren let out a heavy sigh. When he was given command of the first ship to be produced he was beyond honored. He was left, quite literally, speechless for about ten minutes. It almost caused him the ship.

“Love it. I just love it,” he said under his breath.

“Sorry sir?” Commander Kader asked.

“Nothing. Good work, you all. Fifty-one more of these and we can start out trip home.” The crew knew that the captain was hoping for something more. Excitement? Adventure? Danger? The majority of the crew were just happy to be apart of something historic. Even if they found it dry and boring.

A quiet alarm sounded somewhere on the bridge. The captain looked up confused and excited. Finally, something! He thought to himself. “Repo....”

“Unknown contact,” the ensign working the station with the alarm started, “bearing 165, 1500Km. Closing.”

“On screen.” Kader ordered. The large view screen flickered as an image of space appeared on it. In the middle of the screen is a small grayish dot. Its getting bigger. “Can you identify?” He asked walking over to the ensign.

“Negative sir. It's new to me. 1300Km. 1200, still closing.”

“Captain, orders?” Kader asked walking over to where the Mclaren sat.

“Try to hail them.”

“Roger that, opening channels.”

“1000Km, closing awfully fast sir.”

“No response sir. They're running dark sir.”

“WEAPSONS LAUNCH! IMPACT IN 15 SECONDS!”

“Shields, sound collision!” Mclaren ordered. It would prove to be futile.

For just the briefest of moments the bridge, the ship, every deck went completely silent except for the low hum of the ship itself. The missiles that were shot at the Pheaton hurled toward their target is extreme prejudice. “5...4...3...2...” Captain Mclaren took a deep breath, “1.” The missiles hit the hull of the ship. Rocked it sideways. Everyone was thrown toward the wall. A massive explosion shot out of the side of the wounded ship. Before the breach-sheilds could engage, some of the crew were sucked into space.

“Damage report!” Kader shouted. He looked around to find the captain.

“Give me a second sir,” the ensign responded.

“We don't have a second. I need to know...”

“The strike hit decks 23 through 28, and sections 14 through 16. Casualty numbers are coming in. forty, fifty and rising,” the ensign said cutting off Kader.

“Damn it! James!” Kader saw the captain laying under a piece of debris. “Someone help me get the captain out” Kader order. He didn't even know who was alive on the bridge and who wasn't, he just needed to get the captain out. As Kader and another crew member work to get the captain free, there sounded another alarm. Informing that another missile had been launched. Kader and the ensign both looked at the console that flashed the alarm. The looked at each other. They both realized that they would be the last people they would ever see. The resulting explosion was gloriously horrific. The missile did not actually destroy the ship. The chain reaction of explosions on the inside is what caused the ship to disintegrate. No escape pods were used, nor was the emergency beacon activated.

© 2014 Tytan82


Author's Note

Tytan82
Just the beginning. Work in progress

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on October 4, 2014
Last Updated on October 4, 2014
Tags: exploration, battle, space ships, space, Sci-fi

Author

Tytan82
Tytan82

Writing
Silence Silence

A Story by Tytan82