Chapter 1: The Bender

Chapter 1: The Bender

A Chapter by Anonymous
"

Newly proof-read and revised.

"

   “Hurry up, runt,” growled the armored guard. He yanked on the chain connected to the child’s arms. The shackles rubbed harshly on her wrists, turning her pale skin bright red. Her ribs were perfectly visible under her thin layer of skin and torn prisoner tunic. Her skinny arms thrust forward as the guard yanked again.
   “The sorcerer will deal with ye, once and fer all. Ye won't be causin’ trouble no more,” he laughed. “Burn ye to ashes, he will!”
   The girl followed him, her bare feet sore from the sharp, ruined stone floor. Her pale blonde locks tumbled down her shoulders and past her waist. Her huge eyes were like shards of dark blue ice, her gaze locked on the guard and blazing coldly.
   “Quit staring at me, ye little scrap!” he spat, kicking the backs of her knees. Her legs buckled, sending her forward; she cringed in pain, shouldered it off, then stood back up and kept walking. Finally, the guard tossed her aside at the end of the hall and unlocked a giant door. He yanked her into the doorway and flung her into the middle of the dark room.
   “Good luck with the sorcerer, runt! I’ll be happy to add yer pile o’ ashes to the heap! And yer cursed bones to the dragon's lair!” the guard rasped, baring his yellow teeth. He gargled a laugh and slammed the door, locking it behind him.
   The girl stood in the middle of the room, looking around blankly and fidgeting with the tight shackles.
   “Greetings,” said a deep voice from out of the shadows. The girl didn't turn or even seem to acknowledge the sound. A cloaked man loomed out of the darkness, a hood covering his face.
   “Let’s get this over with, shall we? Sit in that chair in the middle of the room,” he commanded.
   The child stood still for a few moments, then walked to the chair, chains dragging, not a word uttered.
   “You’re a quiet one, aren’t you?” the man sniffed. “I thought you’d be the type to put a fight. Oh well.”
   The man raised his arms and sighed dramatically. A flame formed in the palms of his hands, swirling into ball of blue liquid flame.
   “I suppose this is goodbye,” he said. He shot the flame from his hands. It came toward her, gaining speed and mass. It burned the girl’s eyes; she squinted and took a huge breath. She uttered one word under her breath.
   “Bend.”
   The man’s blast began shaking, blowing it off of her death course. It slowed way down and stopped in midair less than an inch from her face. In a matter of moments the frozen flame shattered into shards of blue crystal, nearly grazing the tip of a pointed ear hiding behind her hair. She flung up her head and her blue eyes blazed with satisfaction, glaring proudly at the sorcerer. He stood in utter amazement.
   “You’re a...” he stuttered.
   “Bender,” she finished for him, a wide, toothy grin spreading on her face. She whirled her hands around and ripped out of the shackles, thrusting out her arms and sending the chains at the man. The chains wrapped around him like bloodthirsty snakes, pulling him to the wall. His hands were welded into the wall by the burning power that radiated from the chains. He was stuck, his face still full of awe.
   “Nobody is going to put chains on me ever again,” she said, her eyes still blazing. “Yer lucky I keep ye alive, along with the others in this godforsaken place.”
   “Incredible,” the sorcerer murmured, ignoring the girl.
   “Ain’t ye ever seen a Bender before? And ye call yerself a sorcerer?” she scoffed.
   “You have an awful accent, just like those good-for-nothing soldiers. Can't you speak properly, even a bit?” the man said, scowling.
   “I was raised by wolves,” the girl said, smirking. “I wasn’t taught to speak like the high-and-mighty sorcerer of whom I am now blessed to be in the presence of.”
   “Interesting,” he muttered. “You, girl, come and see me again sometime. I'm compelled by your exceedingly high energy level.”
   “Why in the holy king’s name would I come see the wretch who tried to kill me just now, eh? I don’t need no consent from ye!”
   “I have many things to learn from you, and in turn, I’d be able to teach you some valuable things that you may need.”
   The girl thought for a minute, glancing at a small broken opening in the wall.
   “Maybe, if I feel like it. But ye’ll have to wait,” she decided, heading for the opening.
   “Wait,” the man said quickly, “you could at least release this stone from my hands.”
   She turned, sighed, and flicked her finger to one side. The stone around his hands crumbled; the man rubbed his wrists in relief as the girl climbed into the gap.
   “Wait, what’s your name, girl?” he called after her. She stopped and said,
   “Ewa. My name is Ewa.”



© 2011 Anonymous


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

OMG!! That's so awesome! Lol. I thought this chapter was very descriptive, very creative, and very fun to read. Wonderful job, my dear. Lol. I shall read on!

Posted 13 Years Ago


A bender, huh. I like how she does this with her ice blue eyes.
This sorcerer in shadow, I like him. I saw him in your character bios.
Of course, I'd like to know why she was imprisoned. Maybe I'll find out
later. (?)


A Few Edits:

"He yanked on the chain connected to (thr) child's" is (the)
"How (discusting)" is (disgusting)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Definitely a start to an awesome story. There are some grammars, but I love the idea and it sounds really good so far. Keep up the good work

peace

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


Amazing!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


HAHAHA that lttle child has guts. I like that.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

600 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 11, 2010
Last Updated on March 26, 2011
Tags: Bender, Spirits, fantasy, fiction, book, magic, elves, demons, angels, gods, powers, elements, love, hate, action, adventure
Previous Versions


Author

Anonymous
Anonymous

Andover, MN



About
I was a poet. Sometimes I still am. more..

Writing
Wings Wings

A Poem by Anonymous


Toxin Toxin

A Poem by Anonymous


Maniacal Maniacal

A Poem by Anonymous



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My Son My Son

A Poem by A.Lee