5: Fireworks

5: Fireworks

A Chapter by Anonymous
"

Chapter five of Remember Innocence.

"
5: Fireworks

      It was sunset at the beach. Velvety red light blanketed the distant hills, sending sleepy orange hues across the waves as they ebbed to and fro, like millions of moving creatures that formed one giant blue mass.
      Rosie clung to Jason's shoulders and laughed as the twins threw Jeremy high into the air, watching him plunge into the waves about ten feet farther than where they stood. He made a huge splash and sent waves tumbling towards the twins. After the water settled, Jeremy stuck his head up and squirted salty water out from between his lips, his auburn hair sticking wetly to his face. Xavier stood by Jason and Rosie laughing with his fists placed on his hips.
      Noah still stood in a blank daze as her red hair whipped in a sudden cold breeze that caressed her face, making her snap back into reality. She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her left ear and turned around to see the rest of the group.

      "Hey, Noah!" called Xavier. Rosie stood on Jason's shoulders and smiled, waving her hand in the air. The twins motioned for Noah to walk over to them; she reluctantly did.
      "Let's go get comfortable on the sand," Xavier said with a smile. Noah cocked her head slightly to one side.
      "Why? Shouldn't we be heading home?" she asked.
      "And miss the fireworks show?" Awa giggled.
      "Not in a million years!" her sister added.
      "Fireworks?"
      Xavier put his hand on Noah's shoulder, which made her shiver, but that only made Xavier smile more.
      "Of course!" he said. "That's why we came to the beach today. It's the annual city fireworks show."
      "This is the best place to watch them!" Rosie chimed happily.
      "But nobody knows that besides us, so we get great seats." Jeremy said.
      Noah glanced around at everyone, Xavier's hand still on her shoulder, then gave a small smile.
      "Cool."

      "They're about to start!" Rosie cheered, sucking on a juice box. She sat in Jason's lap with a green windbreaker on; it was getting cold. The twins sat on either side of Jeremy; Awa curled up in his lap, holding his hand between hers; Satou's head was against his shoulder, his arm wrapped around her. He blushed intensely, but he seemed to be enjoying the twins company.
      Noah sat with her arms around herself, shivering in an attempt to get warmer. Suddenly, a warm arm came around her and she was pulled closer to a welcoming embrace. Noah looked up to find Xavier had pulled her against his bare chest, which was surprisingly comforting, the feel of her skin against his.
      "Warmer yet?" he said, glancing quickly from the night sky to her eyes. She said nothing but smiled as she felt her heart pound faster. Noah returned her gaze to the beautiful clear sky and leaned her head against Xavier's shoulder.
    
       "Look!" said the twins, squeezing their grips on Jeremy gently as they pointed towards a shooting object. It spun whimsically up into the sky and disappeared. In a mere second, the dark sky was illuminated by red lights, exploding in a frenzy of delightful dancing creatures. They twirled until they began falling, down, down into the water where they became ashes, their light fading until it was gone.
      Noah was amazed at the astonishing color and speed of the fireworks, which repeated like the first one over and over, each in a different pattern and color than the last. Green, blue, golden, white, pink, orange, purple, every imaginable color that Noah could think of. It was magical.
     
      Noah held Xavier's hand and huddled up against him. She smiled more thoroughly than she ever had at that moment. Xavier, in the heat of the display, reached out his hand and grasped Noah's chin with his fingertips. He pulled her closer so their faces nearly touched. Her face was pink in the bright lights, but he could tell it wasn't just the fireworks making her face warm. Xavier gazed into her ice-blue eyes, which were like crystal pools sparkling in the magnificent light. She remained silent, as did he.
      He leaned in, and his lips almost pressed against hers. Just as he was about to pull her into a kiss, a loud and sudden burst started a chain reaction. Thousands of lights began flashing. The end of the show was approaching. Colors flew across the sky, colliding and creating even more bursts. As it all came to a boil, one last rocketing object twirled into the air, and made a huge explosion, filled with color.
      Noah and Xavier both turned their heads back to the fireworks. The sky went black again and the show was over.

      "Yeah!" Jeremy cried. The twins held onto either of his arms and cheered along with him. Rosie ran around with a towel for a cape and screamed with delight.
      Noah was still sitting in Xavier's embrace, but neither of them took their gaze away from the sky. Soon everyone was looking at them, although they weren't aware.
      "Guys?" Awa said. Noah and Xavier glanced at everyone and noticed they were the center of attention, and both stood up. Xavier sidestepped away from her and smiled at everyone.
      "How about we head home now?" he said. Everyone agreed.
      As the group gathered their things and walked to the car, Noah and Xavier stayed behind.
      "Noah?" Xavier said quietly; she turned towards him.
      "Yes?" she replied nervously. He seemed a bit disappointed about what had happened, but smiled warmly.
      "I had a really fun time with you tonight," he said. Noah's heart almost skipped a beat and she smiled back at him; it wasn't forced.
      "Me too," she said happily.
     
      They both grabbed their towels, and walked to the car with the others.
      
     


© 2010 Anonymous


Author's Note

Anonymous
Please point out any mistakes, spelling errors, and grammatical errors. I'd like to hear any suggestions or opinions; give me your complete honesty.
CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM ONLY! I don't want to be slammed or flamed by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, please. <3
I hope you enjoyed this chapter! ;D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

AW, this was really romantic! I loved the desription of the sky and fireworks! Great job!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This might seem very picky, but in the last big paragraph, you used quietly, nervously, and happily. I'm not a big fan of adverbs; most of the time they aren't needed and they don't leave as much to the reader's imagination. If you delete the superfluous adverbs, I think it'll sound better.

I'm not saying delete all the adverbs, but just a few.

The rest of the chapter was cute, as always, and I look forward to the next one. Although it seemed to lack substance: just watching fireworks and laying on the beach. Maybe that's the idea.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Lol! I thought at first that Noah was a helpless little nerd girl, and that Xavier was just being nice, but he looooooves her!!!!!!!!! More chapters!!!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

395 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 19, 2010
Last Updated on July 26, 2010
Tags: romance, love, happiness, sadness, sorrow, wise, girls, boys, book, fiction, innocence, faded


Author

Anonymous
Anonymous

Andover, MN



About
I was a poet. Sometimes I still am. more..

Writing
Wings Wings

A Poem by Anonymous


Toxin Toxin

A Poem by Anonymous


Maniacal Maniacal

A Poem by Anonymous



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


6: A Mistake 6: A Mistake

A Chapter by Anonymous