Dimensions: 0D

Dimensions: 0D

A Story by Don
"

I'm talking about dimensions, and this is the zeroth. You gotta start from somewhere.

"
0D

The zeroth dimension.

Zero Dimensions.

A point.

1 vertices.

"A world without a world at all.." - Me

Let's start with the most simplest form of existence: the zeroth dimension...

What are zero dimensions? A point? A dot? Or just nothing?

Well, all of the above...

Think of an empty room, but it's not empty at all, it's literally all around you and full. As 3 dimensional beings, a zeroth dimension would be hard to grasp, even if we have full access to it. Full access as in seeing a whole point, as just that...a point.

Yes, try imagining a world of no worlds ...just, nothing, or EVERYTHING compressed into a perfect zero dimensional point. It's like a black hole... or trying to figure what's really 2+2... Or dividing by zero (if we're talking about 0 dimensions).

Let's have some fun here by applying Flatland logic... Say there was one being that exists in a zero dimensional space, said being can be the only being or a series of compressed life forms, yes, with all personalities and traits comprised into one super zero d being. Gross, huh? Well, yes and no. Because in a world of only none or one, life in such a world will have no literal room to spare. Or, just impossible to exist in the first place.

Back to flatland logic, sorry for getting of topic here... Say such 0D being exists, is highly sentient and intelligent, but ignorant... Ignorant to the world of one dimensions. Yes, it only knows nothing...just 0D. It will not, and cannot imagine a world of a line... To it, just like how a fourth dimension is to us, very foreign and impossible to grasp. It will ask, "How can there be more space than space itself? I am space; space is me... My world cannot extend into something. Is "extend" even a word?"

Just like in Flatland, I can conjure up the typical visiting story here.

Say this lonely zero dimensional being was just minding its own zero dimensional business, then suddenly a first dimensional being appears!! Yes, a first, first dimensional encounter for the zeroth dimension to experience...

Let's call him "A Line". A Line will try to preach the gospel of first dimensions to our fellow 0D being. "Psst", A Line's whispering to it. "Are you awake?" "WHAT?!? Who goes there?!!", the 0D being asked.

"Yes, it's me. I'm A Line. I come from the first dimension, or a first dimension (so to say). See, I come from a world that can extend itself infinitely left or right, in which I'm free to move. I'm here to preach the gospel of the first dimension...,"

A Line is trying to teach our fellow 0D guy about a first dimension, something he never seen or felt before... But as confusing as it will be for him, it's not so for A Line or you and me. We all know that a world can extend itself perpendicularly, left or right specifically... To 0D guy, he can think that we're crazy... As a matter of fact, he can think we're just voices in his head, and truly stay ignorant from the fact that there's more beings than one that can exist. In a zeroth dimension, you're the only one that you know or will ever know until the end of time.

"So, you come from were?" 0D asks. "The first dimension, or a first dimension...", he says, "I know I can be a little overwhelming, but it's not to-"

"STOP! No, no, no, nooo!!! I'm must be going crazy again...thinking these heinous thoughts in my head!" 0D ferociously reacts.

"Calm down my child, I'm not an anomaly in your mind, but in another plane of existence...so to say. I'm above and below you, or a side of you. I know, you cannot see me, and I also know you think that you're the only being than can exist and ONLY exist in your realm. But I'm here to give you some insight fellow no lander. You will see that space isn't just YOU, but everything ELSE...", A Line says.

As confused as our 0D hero is, he's also baffled at the fact that there can be separate entities and more space itself, stripping away his well believed narcissism...

"So, you are not in my head?" He asks politely. "Indeed," A Line responds. "If anything, I'm simply outside your head...," he adds. "You can't be, ... a "you". YES! Because I am me. Not a "you". It's been a while since I used the word called "you" voice in my head... That word is rare for me to utter, since I live in a world of zero dimensions...a another entity is alien to me. I thought I'm the only thing to exist and will EVER exist."

"Hahahahahahaaaa!!" he disturbingly responded, "YES, I know! I'm quite aware, as I've said before: I know you have that way of thought.. that you can be the only thing to exist, it's obviously quite understandable nolander...", A Line responds diligently, "but you need to see to believe I'm afraid..."

"See to believe?" 0D responds.

"Yes, you do. Thus, I must take you out of your world, and into mine," A Line promises.

A Line is very eager to strip him out of his existence and into HIS existence. It's possible. With Lineland technology, of course. It should be no problem.

"This is nuts. A voice in my mind saying it can bring me out of my world.." 0D guy responds.

"Well, technically; it's physically impossible to do it..but with our technology, it rights the wrong and tears the fabric of space time. Literally!!" A Line adds, "I will simply extract you out of your simple existence, thus bringing you into my world to appreciate a world of one dimension."

"Simple existence, YOU say? My world isn't simple, damnit!!" 0D replied.

"YOU don't say? All I see is a point. With no length whatsoever... Aaand you call your world "complex", dare I say dynamic? Oh, psh.." A Line responded...

"YES it is completely complex...", 0D says,"if you are from another world altogether YOU should see and know it's complexity, damnit!!!"

"Hmm...YOU know what? I'm convinced that you're convinced of my existence. With that being said, I shall take you away from your simple existence, and into mine. GET ready..." A Line offered. "Ah, hold on... What the-this feeling... What are you doing to meee!!!!" 0D is in absolute fear from A Like stripping him out of his existence.

A Line really wants 0D to understand what a world of 1 dimension is and LOOKS like! His machinery is literally transforming 0D into a perfect one dimensional line!

"What's going on...I feel woozy.." 0D says. At this point, the transformation is now complete, 0D guy is now a full fledged one dimensional entity, completely stripped from his boring and narcissistic existence.

"Yes", A Line responds, "perfect..." "Perfect, what do you mean by...oh...my...wha am I?" 1 Line asked himself. Since he's now 1 dimensional, his official name will be "1 Line".

"Welcome to the first dimension fellow Linelander..!" A Line sarcastically responds.

"My body...it looks so elongated, so different." 1 Line says. "Yes, you are now a line. A perfect series of infinite points in a one dimensional plane. It's like if you stretched yourself when your were 0D to infinity", A line responds. "This is so intriguing... Am I some god now? Is this some heavenly new form I've achieved?!" 1 Line asks. "Hardly..", A Lind explained, "like I said earlier: you are but a series of infinite pints in one dimensional space. No less, no more. You aren't some god, silly."

"Then what exactly am I? I mean, I know you've changed me completely and I'm more than enough enlightened, but all of this is so alien to me...," 1 Line responds. "This too shall pass, my child. For your body is now in a perfect one dimension form. You are no infer bounded by the zeroth dimension. You are now free to move in two consecutive ways..no longer trapped in a dot.," A line says.

"2 consecutive ways? Hmm..is there more ways to move in the first dimension? Why is 2 a limit?" 1 Line asks.

"Hmm.. you shouldn't know about the number "2"...anything beyond zero should be irrelevant to your existence previously... But to answer your question: no. There's only 2 ways of movement. Up, down, left-right, right or left. Or just up-down, left-right..."

"Interesting..."

1D said.

© 2017 Don


Author's Note

Don
I am not a physicist or mathematician, this was just for fun, I am just a fan of Flatland is all.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
Added on September 19, 2017
Last Updated on September 19, 2017
Tags: math, philosophy, science, geometry, shapes, dimensions, abstract, flatland

Author

Don
Don

About
I'm no author, but I do like to speak my mind. Oh, and I make comics and stuff. more..