My Secret

My Secret

A Stage Play by Unnamed
"

This is a monologue that I wrote for a character I created for my Drama class.

"

I have a secret; it’s pressing against the back of my lungs - like your tongue presses against your teeth when you have something you need to say, but don’t. No longer can I keep my tongue bound to my teeth - I have to say it. I want to change. That’s my secret; I’m not happy with who I am - Not to say that I don’t respect myself, or that I’m sad; I’m not. I simply can’t fathom staying the same. I need to change. How do I change though? Change the way I speak and redefine myself with words? How is that even possible when every word I or anyone else says is devoid of spirit; given meaning at the hand of others. Meaning to me is action, so how can words - which aren’t alive - have it? It's the worlds’ greatest misconception; the perfect pathetic fallacy - letting words define us as individuals. I want to change, because people assume, because of the way I act, dress, speak, and present myself that I’m naive; and my mind trivial  - I’m not and it isn’t. I can’t let these preconceived notions define me, and I won’t. But now, with words previously oppressed by thoughts, flowing steadily, I've realized something. I am going to change. I am changing, and I will change; and that's something I'm okay with, it’s something I need; but my needs don’t necessarily reflect those of everyone, and that’s why words are empty; I can tell someone I love them, but what does it mean? Three words, three syllables, worn out to the point where it’s become a colloquial term. It doesn’t mean anything - Actions mean something, and that’s what I need if I want to change. Action. I need to act, not speak. And I pray, that when someone asks me “What does your life mean” that I won’t be able to answer them; that I can’t put a definition to my life, because I don’t want my life to be empty. I want it to be. I am myself.. but who are you?



© 2015 Unnamed


Author's Note

Unnamed
Some of the words may be out of context, or used improperly because of the fact that the character I created would use those types of words, whereas I myself would not.

P.S. If you get the song reference in the hook, you're my favourite person in the world.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on April 15, 2015
Last Updated on April 15, 2015
Tags: Monologue, Fiction, Amateur

Author

Unnamed
Unnamed

Canada