Hearts

Hearts

A Poem by Unnameworthy
"

The first lyrics written for the first A Tainted Image album, Sins. Composed on a road trip in January 2007.

"

For countless hours our tinkers have tinkered, our great minds have pondered, and our dreamers have dreamed.  With the dedication of starving men in sweatshops, we've toiled for this day.  We'll be heroes when at last our greatest work is unveiled.

 

We've been building a new kind of heart, you see.  A kind that cannot break.

 

We've replaced the blood with gasolene (we had to make our profits somewhere).  It flows swift and cold through the veins till it enters the new heart, our finest creation.  It was quite a delicate procedure, taking such an intricate organ as the heart and making it unbreakable.  The various components were assembled with flawless precision by cold machines in a windowless room underground.  Still quite fragile, these are protected by perhaps the most important element of the machine: a shell of pure apathy, granting no passage, letting nothing escape.  The walls of Berlin and China could not provide a more perfect defense than this.

 

This invention will surpass the printing press and the wheel; will be forever remembered as the greatest work that the minds of men have ever conceived, that the hands of men have ever wrought.  Ladies and gentlemen, tonight we have made history, and you can share in this phenomenon for no cost at all to yourself.  All we ask is that you leave your old, broken heart here in our keeping.  It matters little to you what becomes of it; was this not the same heart you gave away time and time again, only to find it shattered as it remains to this day?  With an unbreakable heart in your chest, you'll never feel that pain again.

 

But remember this one thing: the heart that cannot break cannot love.

© 2008 Unnameworthy


Author's Note

Unnameworthy
While typing it I realized it goes a lot better with the music than on its own. Be nice!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Apathy and Gasoline! I love it! What a novel way to describe the invention of the future! It kinda reminded me of a futuristic advertisement you might see flashing on some screen on the side of the sidewalk 50 years from now or sooner.
Gives me the feel of the movie "Bladerunner" or AI

I enjoyed it emensely
Infinity's Shadow

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 23, 2008

Author

Unnameworthy
Unnameworthy

Catonsville, MD



About
I live in the suburbs in central Maryland, where the weather is crazy. I write poetry and lyrics for various bands including a project called A Tainted Image, which is a combination of acoustic guita.. more..

Writing